The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Drift discussion

Due to clutter in the other threads.

Oz, I recommend using the goggle strap as a shoulder mount - on a backpack strap.
DylanV, I will have to check and confirm what mounts each model of the Drift Camera come with.

Drift Mounts inc. Goggle, Sticky Flat, Sticky Curved (for helmet), Monopod, Surfboard, Bar, +more. Will post more info soon.

Issues I’ve been asked to resolve.
#1; Waterproof housing leaking - resolved, use correct back plate! Drift replaced cracked housing.
#2; not working unless plugged into power - resolved, battery was in upside down.
#3; MOV files an issue on PC - resolved(Oz?), change to MP4 in settings.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

How/Where do I change the settings to MP4. Couldn’t find a format setting.

The footage looks great from the Drift. A friend has a Contour which again the footage was good, but I found it was like it was zoomed in too far (if that makes sense!?) and I think GoPro footage is the goods too. Love the wide angle you get from it.

I still am no closer to deciding which one I would wanna get!!!

blizzard_22 - 02 July 2012 01:29 AM

The footage looks great from the Drift. A friend has a Contour which again the footage was good, but I found it was like it was zoomed in too far (if that makes sense!?) and I think GoPro footage is the goods too. Love the wide angle you get from it.

Don’t worry too much about video quality they all have good enough quality for us amateurs (I tend to lose most of my quality due to youtube/vimeo).

What I paid more attention too when researching was the features of the camera in which case the DriftHD won out for me.

Every time I’m using it I find the remote, rotatable lens and lcd screen especially handy.

blizzard_22 - 02 July 2012 01:29 AM

yea the contour has a 130 degree view rather than the 170 that the drift hd and gopro have, so contour is out

i think ill go with the drift hd because of its sleeker design, the lcd and remote will just be bonuses

Which are all included with both Drift models.

Sorry Oz, forgot you sent that question via text (school holidays, chasing three little girls around)
I have to check if that setting can be changed on the 720. It can on the HD.

Otherwise the codec is a free download (you should know that .MOV files is the original digital video format). 
Have you got mpegstreamclip? http://www.squared5.com/ to trim, save and convert/compress/change formats.

Blizzard,
DriftHD FOV (field of view) is the same as GP2.
Drift has digital zoom and a more refined shape that deflects snow.
GP2 can shoot at 120fps - drift goes to 90fps
Drift is lighter, and cheaper (even before the BWM discount), with the discount you get it for close to $100 less then a GoPro2.

does the drift hd come with the goggle mount?

dw already answered haha

sure does shaka

snowbum_spaz - 02 July 2012 12:12 AM

#3; MOV files an issue on PC - resolved(Oz?), change to MP4 in settings.

Just having a play through the settings on my DriftHD camera today and couldn’t find this setting. Where about’s should I be looking mate?

Hi guys,

Do you have any AWESOME drift footage to share?  Want to compare with GoPro 2.

thanks