The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

JAPAN 2012 / 2013

Nah, we just had two days in Kyoto,

arrived Kyoto 11:15pm NYE - Day one Kyoto - Day Two Hiroshima - Day Three Flew to Sapporo

Hectic sched!!!!!

What did ya go do in Kyoto?????

Mizu Kuma - 16 June 2012 04:19 AM

My Itinerary;

1   Night Chitose
14 Nights Niseko (Hirafu) 12 day boardin plus maybe 1 day over to Rusutsu, 1 day Sapporo (Ice festival) 
2   Nights Tokyo
7   Nights Nozawa Onsen 5 day boardin, Jigokudani Monkey park a must (DRC’s TR made that one a definite)
3   Nights Kyoto

Super Jelly!

Niseko and Nozawa are both on my shortlist for 2013 as well. I suspect I would prefer the more traditional Nozawa Onsen area but after lucking out on snow in Hakuba this year Niseko seems like a potentially safer option. I did 3 nights in Tokyo on my last trip will probably up it to 5 this time as I really enjoyed it.

Glad my TR sold you on the monkeys. Soak up the walk to the onsens it has some beautiful scenery. Be sure to dress/pack warm for the day!

Where are you staying this time in Hirafu Mizu?

I will be super keen to hear your thoughts on Nozawa Onsen as I would like to go there next time.

drc13 - 18 June 2012 10:08 PM
Mizu Kuma - 16 June 2012 04:19 AM

My Itinerary;

1   Night Chitose
14 Nights Niseko (Hirafu) 12 day boardin plus maybe 1 day over to Rusutsu, 1 day Sapporo (Ice festival) 
2   Nights Tokyo
7   Nights Nozawa Onsen 5 day boardin, Jigokudani Monkey park a must (DRC’s TR made that one a definite)
3   Nights Kyoto

Super Jelly!

Niseko and Nozawa are both on my shortlist for 2013 as well. I suspect I would prefer the more traditional Nozawa Onsen area but after lucking out on snow in Hakuba this year Niseko seems like a potentially safer option. I did 3 nights in Tokyo on my last trip will probably up it to 5 this time as I really enjoyed it.

Glad my TR sold you on the monkeys. Soak up the walk to the onsens it has some beautiful scenery. Be sure to dress/pack warm for the day!

Yeah, I’ve already been to Niseko before and hence the reason of 2 weeks there as I WANT a powder fix bad!!!!!

And yeah, there’s a good chance that I’ll be wearin some warm gear up to Jigokudani!!!!! That part of your TR I am sure not to emulate!!!!! LOL

Hammo - 18 June 2012 11:13 PM

Where are you staying this time in Hirafu Mizu?

I will be super keen to hear your thoughts on Nozawa Onsen as I would like to go there next time.

Stayin in Kira Kira > Kira Kira in a studio apt!!!!!

Yeah, I am absolutely hangin to see Nozawa!!!!! Stayin in a Ryokan when we are there > Kirya Ryokan!!!!! Will gather as much info whenever I am in a sober state for sure!!!!! LOL

You headin back over anytime soon?????

Sweet last trip we stayed at Youtei Tracks so not far from Kira Kira. We just cut accross to the family ace chair.

We usually go every year, but haven’t organised anything yet. We have friends that live over there so we will probably make last min plans.

The last trip was booked with Hokkaido Tracks and they gave us all a free day pass to Moiwa, pretty small mountain but was pretty fun because we were literally the only people there! There is heaps of good places to eat in the lower village none of which I can remember the name of!! We found a nice Onsen in the lower village too.

Also worth getting the Kutchan night bus pass if your staying for 2 weeks, it gives you access for a week or two unlimited night trips is super cheap and allows you a. shop for food and much larger stores and b. explore some restarunts in Kutchan.

Yeah, I think we covered pretty much most eateries in the village when we went the first time!!!!!

Did the Kutchan Night Go Bus also!!!!! Will def be headin in there again as Mrs Mizu found her fave hot chocolate stop in the world!!!!!

Even went to a yakiniku place over in North Annupri and missed the bus back!!!!! Had to get taxi’s back to Hirafu which were pricey, but super funny as they were slidin around on the road!!!!! The one that the kids (Grown adults) were in was doin 360’s down the road bouncin off the snow embankments on either side!!!!!

Also had some mates that hit Moiwa and said exactly the same thing!!!!!

So many great memories to even list!!!!! I just seriously can’t wait to get back over there!!!!!

have just looked at the thred title and not read anything above. (i know i should have and may look like a fool if i have missed anything) but….. at the moment only focused on boarding in australia during this season but once it finishes my focus depending on how my funds are…. will be to go to japan. can someone give me a round about price on what i would be looking at. and what places are worth going to there i herd Niseko is more of a tourist place and the locals ride elsewhere that is better???? i havent ever been out of australia and the more i think of it the more i want to go looking for POWWWWWDER haha.

Mate wayyyyyy too many variables to give a price for a trip. How long/where you want to go/level of accomodation/transfers etc. etc.

Read the Trip reports on other members Japow trips, some of them outline what they did and how much it cost them.

Lachillingworth - 21 June 2012 10:27 AM

i havent ever been out of australia and the more i think of it the more i want to go looking for POWWWWWDER haha.

Similar question asked here recently

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/5907/

Like deano said, as with any trip there are way too many variables to give ya a price!!!!!

Best thing to do is fire of an enquiry to an agent and see what they come back with!!!!! If it’s too much ask them if they have cheaper, if it’s dodgy lookin accommodation ask them if ya can upgrade a little!!!!!

Niseko is far from what the majority tell ya!!!!! Hokkaido is the powder destination!!!!! It is so due to it’s demographic location!!!!! There are no real locals as Hirafu (As everyone commonly refers to as Niseko) is a holiday destination for the Japanese during their summers!!!!! They tend to go north as the humidity is unbearable on the main and sth islands!!!!!

Havin said that there other resorts on the nth island, along with stacks on the main island also!!!!! (Over 600 in total) I personally think that Niseko is a great way to ease yaself into Japan and introduce yaself to real powder both at the same time!!!!!

Hope this helps somewhat????? Trust me when I say that you will not be disappointed if ya chose to go to Japan for ya os snow holiday!!!!!

ooo this thread is making me Japow-sick!! Ive only been once, in Feb 2011, went to Hakuba. Im mega keen to visit the north :D might have to start saving my pennies.

Mizu Kuma - 19 June 2012 05:34 AM

Even went to a yakiniku place over in North Annupri and missed the bus back!!!!! Had to get taxi’s back to Hirafu which were pricey, but super funny as they were slidin around on the road!!!!! The one that the kids (Grown adults) were in was doin 360’s down the road bouncin off the snow embankments on either side!!!!!

Also had some mates that hit Moiwa and said exactly the same thing!!!!!

So many great memories to even list!!!!! I just seriously can’t wait to get back over there!!!!!

That sounds scary!!!!

Hahahaaaa, they were only goin about 25kmh so it was all good!!!!!

The funny thing was that our driver was like “Ohhhh, danger danger…......... Ohhhh safe, safe” and the kids taxi the old guy was crappin while the kids were chearin!!!!! Hahahahaaa!!!!!

The rest of the trip home was a bit unnervin though!!!!!

How’s the life of a Snowbum treatin ya, Ash?????

You should be givin us updates or links to ya blog!!!!! Maybe start a thread in the Social pages for us all to be envious over!!!!!