The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trying to kill my phone

ozgirl - 26 June 2012 05:48 AM

My guess is on the report Optus were just the middle man!

That’s correct!!!!!

Optus were the retailer/provider, but they still send the phone to Samsung’s Chosen Repairer/Warranty Dept!!!!!

chucky - 26 June 2012 05:45 AM
TJswish - 26 June 2012 05:23 AM

I’ve heard some similar ones with apple products (pretty sure it was the macbook pro) where they wouldn’t accept the warranty due to what the user had done.

Yeah, they’re pretty stringent when it comes to laptops. The generous replacement program is iPhone only.

Somehow beeseekay has just managed to snap his Apple earphone plug, leaving the pin INSIDE his MacBook Pro’s headphone jack! NOT HAPPY!!!

Before taking it into the Apple Store tomorrow, I’m going to get a tiny screw, and try and screw it inside the pin just enough to give me traction to pull it out. Unless anyone else has a better suggestion?

These things are great if ya have a set!!!!! ( Commonly called Easy Out’s, and are great to get broken bolts etc etc out as they reverse taper thread that grabs onto almost anythin!!!!!)

Try some blue tack on your finger.

Mizu Kuma - 26 June 2012 04:54 AM

I have heard of people usin the freezer to “dry” out their electrical gear also!!!!! (I’m not so sure as to how that would work though, as the moisture has just been frozen and not really removed, but I’ve never tried the theory myself!!!!!)

I reckon that on a below zero day (Without precipitation), and a good breeze, it will do the trick!!!!! I remember when we were in Japan (Hokkaido), the humidity was 0 as the temperate was -10 at it’s peak!!!!! When we got back to SYD airport it was like steppin into the tropics!!!!! You could cut the air with a knife it felt that thick!!!!!

I don’t know about freezing it. Water expands when frozen and I’d imagine that if there is water in a small space or crack inside your phone somewhere, the water would expand as ice forms, potentially causing further damage .....everyone’s probably left a sealed glass bottle with water inside a freezer before and seen what can happen?

I know on Blackberries at work there is a little white marker on both the battery and device that turns red when water damaged. That’s how we tell that a user is lying to us when they say “I don’t know what happened it just stopped working” Umm did it get wet at all? User: “not that I know of?” Really because it’s indicating it did right here. User: “oh my son/daughter/dog/insert anyone else here spilt something on it, that wouldn’t be it would it?”

Maybe!!! *sigh*

Anyway…it’s the first thing we check on a broken blackberry. Not sure about other phones but I’d suspect the same sort of thing.

iPhone’s one is down the base of the headphone socket - it turns pink.

A steamy bathroom can set off those humidity sensors.
Snow jacket pocket in rain.
Shelf above where you boil a kettle…

I wouldn’t be surprised if 75% of all phones that have those have them tripped, that’s why most customers are surprised because their water incident doesn’t instantly stop the phone.

A mate was showing me his Samsung yesterday - it’s held together with sticky tape after being smashed on the snow twice - the second time it was bathed in snow after being run over. It still works perfect.

It never ceases to amaze me what happens to peoples phones, I have had a mobile for probably 12 or more years now and I have never managed to smash a screen, drop it or take it swimming etc to the best of my recollection.  I have “lost” two, once in a cab blind drunk and the second time I woke up in hospital after a night out went wrong without my phone amongst other things like my wallet and keys. 

Of that 12 years or so I have worked as a plumber, cable monkey, security tech, project manager, business development manager and a bit of landscaping and always taken my phones snowboarding and still managed to keep them in one piece.  Some of my mates are similar to me but then others go through phones like hot dinners, I don’t really understand it.

I’m the same as you mate. In all my years of owning a mobile phone, I’ve never lost or damaged one, apart from superficial damage. I have an iPhone 4S, and have have all the other previous versions, and I never have a carry case or screen protector on them. Still never cracked a screen etc. And same as you, I take mine to the snow, mountain biking etc.

Actually, I just remembered about 12-13 years ago I had a Nokia 5110 (I think). I left it on the roof of my car once and drove off. Obviously if fell off and smashed on the road. Got out, put it back together, and it was 100% fine.

haha ask Crackers about phones!!! I think he uses them as bait when fishing? or has a few times anyway. haha. all his phones are hand-me-downs, anyway.

I think I got my first phone in 2000 or 2001 and I’ve probably been through about 4 or 5 phones in that time. I drop mine on a regular basis but I don’t have flimsy phones so I’ve never had a cracked screen. I’m super reluctant to get an all-touch screen phone for that very reason, though.

I’ve never lost a phone nor broken one!!!!! Have dropped them a couple of times but been lucky enough to get away unscathed!!!!!

The only place I don’t take my phone with me is in the Surf or to Bed!!!!!

CRACKERS - 26 June 2012 02:22 PM

I have heard of people usin the freezer to “dry” out their electrical gear also!!!!! (I’m not so sure as to how that would work though, as the moisture has just been frozen and not really removed, but I’ve never tried the theory myself!!!!!)

I reckon that on a below zero day (Without precipitation), and a good breeze, it will do the trick!!!!! I remember when we were in Japan (Hokkaido), the humidity was 0 as the temperate was -10 at it’s peak!!!!! When we got back to SYD airport it was like steppin into the tropics!!!!! You could cut the air with a knife it felt that thick!!!!!

I don’t know about freezing it. Water expands when frozen and I’d imagine that if there is water in a small space or crack inside your phone somewhere, the water would expand as ice forms, potentially causing further damage .....everyone’s probably left a sealed glass bottle with water inside a freezer before and seen what can happen?

Yeah mate, like I said I have never tried the theory myself!!!!!

But I don’t think that the expansion bit would be a worry as if the liquid can enter into the small space or crack, then it will be able to expand back out the same entrance!!!!! The deal with a bottle is that it is pressure sealed!!!!! If the phone was pressure sealed then the liquid wouldn’t get in there in the first place!!!!!

One thing that makes me doubt the freeze theory though, is when the liquid has been frozen, it is still there when it thaws!!!!! Probably why I have never been keen to try the concept in the first place?????

Mizu Kuma - 26 June 2012 11:15 PM

I’ve never lost a phone nor broken one!!!!! Have dropped them a couple of times but been lucky enough to get away unscathed!!!!!

The only place I don’t take my phone with me is in the Surf or to Bed!!!!!

Yea, I’m similar.

My whole life I haven’t lost a phone, wallet or keys. I did drop an iPhone but got it fixed pretty much straight away.

One guy at work used to keep his company mobile in his top pocket!!!!!

At least once a week he used to lose it into the molten metal pots, whenever he was workin around them!!!!!  LOL

Cracks me up the people who break their iphone screens in the first week. then fumble with a broken screen for months!

Mizu Kuma - 26 June 2012 11:21 PM
CRACKERS - 26 June 2012 02:22 PM

Yeah mate, like I said I have never tried the theory myself!!!!!

But I don’t think that the expansion bit would be a worry as if the liquid can enter into the small space or crack, then it will be able to expand back out the same entrance!!!!! The deal with a bottle is that it is pressure sealed!!!!! If the phone was pressure sealed then the liquid wouldn’t get in there in the first place!!!!!

One thing that makes me doubt the freeze theory though, is when the liquid has been frozen, it is still there when it thaws!!!!! Probably why I have never been keen to try the concept in the first place?????

Yeh I am not 100% it would do damage ...but(there is always a but!), When water gets in cracks in rocks and freezes, it cracks the rocks, even though there is an entrance for it to expand out into. It might depend on how cold it is and how fast the water freezes. Plus like you said the water will still be inside the phone? Are there any physicists on here? someone ring that Dr Karl bloke and ask!