The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trying to kill my phone

The stupidest part is i found a waterproof case for my iPhone yesterday.

First thing I did last night was suck as much water out as I could.

Before I drove to the snow yesterday I did a quick clean out of the car, under the passenger seat I found a silicon satchel (the type that comes in electrical products) I didn’t throw it out, just left it there.
After the first treatment in the glad (zip lock) bag I dried the satchel (it was soaked) and it’s now been in the bag with the phone all day - battery removed. When I took the phone apart there was a fair amount of water still in it.

Just now plugged it in to the computer and it shows up in iTunes like nothing is wrong.
My iTunes folder is on a hard drive at home so I’ve created a new one and backing up the phone before restoring it to the factory settings.
The phone has a blank screen and the led is permanently on. This seems to be common place when damaged with water and there are plenty of stories worse than mine - like full submersion for hours.

My computer only has 20% battery remaining so I better go find a power source. Since the restore is going to take 2hrs.

Puttin it front of an air conditioner vent is also a great way to remove moisture!!!!!

chucky - 26 June 2012 03:09 AM
nthnbeachesguy - 26 June 2012 02:18 AM
chucky - 26 June 2012 01:16 AM
nthnbeachesguy - 25 June 2012 09:52 PM

Whoops and I’m guessing it’s an Iphone right?  Whats that sir you would like it repaired?  Well let me see, the cost of a new Iphone is $900 so add 10% and that will be…. yes $990 to repair your phone sir, will that be cash cheque or bend over and touch your toes and allow Mr Jobs to anally violate you from beyond the grave?

Actually, if your iPhone is broken and it’s completely your fault - even if it’s not under warranty, Apple will replace it with the same model for a flat fee of $249, no matter how bad the damage is. That doesn’t sound much like ‘violation’ to me.

At their discretion of course and doesn’t cover catastrophic damage unfortunately.  That is much better than what is used to be, not sure if they have changed their policy on mac books or mac’s as a couple of mates got violated hard when they had issues with them.

You can smash the crap out of your phone and bring it to Apple in pieces, and they’ll replace it. There’s no nasty “at their discretion” loopholes - if it’s legally your phone, they’ll replace it.

Mate this is straight from Apples website

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Australia&product=iphone

“Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.”

Basically that is exactly what you are saying they will cover so you’re incorrect about catastrophic failure being replaced.

It then goes on to say

“Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple’s Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.”

That to me sounds very much like an at their discretion loophole.

So that means that spaz’s iPhone wont cost him over $900 to repair/replace?????

nthnbeachesguy - 26 June 2012 04:05 AM

Mate this is straight from Apples website

“Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.”

Basically that is exactly what you are saying they will cover so you’re incorrect about catastrophic failure being replaced.

It then goes on to say

“Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple’s Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.”

That to me sounds very much like an at their discretion loophole.

Apple’s “out-of-warranty service” is a different service from their $249 iPhone replacement program. I personally know people who’ve had their ‘smashed beyond repair’ iPhones replaced by Apple.

No it would appear to be the same

“Under what circumstances would Apple charge me the Replacement Value?
Apple will charge you the Replacement Value of your iPhone if Apple does not receive your original iPhone within 10 days of shipping the replacement to you OR if Apple receives your original iPhone within 10 days of shipping the replacement to you but determines that it is ineligible for service under the limited warranty, for replacement under an AppleCare Protection Plan, or for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) service.

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage, including damage by water or a liquid containing water, is eligible for OOW service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications”

Basically the same caveat would apply so it seems your friends were lucky to have theirs replaced.

Yes Mizu it would appear as though Spaz will get out of it for a minimal amount if it is still in the warranty period or if he has purchased the Apple protection plan then he is ok, will be looking at $40 or so from my reading of it.  Without, it will cost $250.

I saw the replacement offer when I first googled.

Being in the snow means I was happy to void my warranty and pull it apart to dry it out.

I had it front of the cars a/c when it first happened, I had it on hot. But I’m guessing Mizu was saying even on cold it will dry out. Would natures a/c up in the mountains do the same?

I have heard of people usin the freezer to “dry” out their electrical gear also!!!!! (I’m not so sure as to how that would work though, as the moisture has just been frozen and not really removed, but I’ve never tried the theory myself!!!!!)

I reckon that on a below zero day (Without precipitation), and a good breeze, it will do the trick!!!!! I remember when we were in Japan (Hokkaido), the humidity was 0 as the temperate was -10 at it’s peak!!!!! When we got back to SYD airport it was like steppin into the tropics!!!!! You could cut the air with a knife it felt that thick!!!!!

nthnbeachesguy - 26 June 2012 04:48 AM

Yes Mizu it would appear as though Spaz will get out of it for a minimal amount if it is still in the warranty period or if he has purchased the Apple protection plan then he is ok, will be looking at $40 or so from my reading of it.  Without, it will cost $250.

That’s a hell of a lot better than what Samsung’s Support had for my daughters phone!!!!! (And that was still in warranty)

Here’s their response!!!!!

No it would appear to be the same

“Under what circumstances would Apple charge me the Replacement Value?
Apple will charge you the Replacement Value of your iPhone if Apple does not receive your original iPhone within 10 days of shipping the replacement to you OR if Apple receives your original iPhone within 10 days of shipping the replacement to you but determines that it is ineligible for service under the limited warranty, for replacement under an AppleCare Protection Plan, or for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) service.

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage, including damage by water or a liquid containing water, is eligible for OOW service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications”

Basically the same caveat would apply so it seems your friends were lucky to have theirs replaced.

Unless Apple have cancelled their replacement program recently, it’s the same as I described.

That specific program, however (which is separate from their regular program), is not widely publicised by Apple - it’s more of a ‘who you know’ word-of-mouth type of thing. I only found out about it through Apple forums in the USA.

I’ve heard some similar ones with apple products (pretty sure it was the macbook pro) where they wouldn’t accept the warranty due to what the user had done.

Everytime I’ve been to the apple store they have been decent for me though. I absolutely fried my first iPhone and they replaced it free under warranty (though I didn’t tell them what I had done)

Mizu Kuma - 26 June 2012 04:56 AM

That’s a hell of a lot better than what Samsung’s Support had for my daughters phone!!!!! (And that was still in warranty)

Here’s their response!!!!!

Mizu I may be reading it wrong but that looks like Optus’ refusal to warrant it rather than Samsung?

TJswish - 26 June 2012 05:23 AM

I’ve heard some similar ones with apple products (pretty sure it was the macbook pro) where they wouldn’t accept the warranty due to what the user had done.

Yeah, they’re pretty stringent when it comes to laptops. The generous replacement program is iPhone only.

Somehow beeseekay has just managed to snap his Apple earphone plug, leaving the pin INSIDE his MacBook Pro’s headphone jack! NOT HAPPY!!!

Before taking it into the Apple Store tomorrow, I’m going to get a tiny screw, and try and screw it inside the pin just enough to give me traction to pull it out. Unless anyone else has a better suggestion?

Optus (or any phone compnay) don’t do warranty.

Every phone gets sent to the manufacture.

They are trying to change the legislation.  Cause it is especially frustrating when it is a genuine (not your fault) warranty claim and they don’t give you a loaner!! 

My guess is on the report Optus were just the middle man!

chucky - 26 June 2012 05:45 AM
TJswish - 26 June 2012 05:23 AM

Yeah, they’re pretty stringent when it comes to laptops. The generous replacement program is iPhone only.

Somehow beeseekay has just managed to snap his Apple earphone plug, leaving the pin INSIDE his MacBook Pro’s headphone jack! NOT HAPPY!!!

Before taking it into the Apple Store tomorrow, I’m going to get a tiny screw, and try and screw it inside the pin just enough to give me traction to pull it out. Unless anyone else has a better suggestion?

Is the headphone jack hollow? screwing a screw into there may damage it more.

Tweezers could work, though I don’t know about your chances as it will be tight in there.

Another option - last resort
1. Get an old pen and take out the ink.
2. Get a piece of sticky tape and put it around the end (the end you don’t write with).
3. Fill the area between the tape and the base of the pen with super-glue. This should be no more than a tiny blob
4. Wait until the super-glue is 75% set (so it is a bit sticky to touch but doesn’t actually stick to you instanly and doesn’t move).
5. Remove the tape
6. Put the pen into the earphone jack and push it gently onto the broken bit.
7. Leave for a bit to let it stick.
8. Pull the headphone jack out.