The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What cars do you drive for snow

AWD depends on the Car/Make/Features!!!!!

It will be in the manual!!!!! Most will go on the front wheels though!!!!!

Its dependant on which of the wheels are the primary driving wheels. So yeh, check your manual.

nthnbeachesguy - 20 June 2012 12:13 AM

No if you have a RWD, fine you can steer but you’re not going anywhere.  With two sets of chains on a 4by you’re bullet proof though!

Overkill Mate.  But My experience is on a full size four wheel.  This :
Only with a white topper (what do you aussies call it???)
Beast. Had to put chains on once, wouldn’t make it out of the lower park lot of SLT CA during a SERIOUS Dump without- look at the pic and imagine snow level at the top of the rim. Dragon was Screwed.  Took two of us shovelling to get Sierra able to put the chains on- Chains on front, additional power to rear.  Try taking a tight corner in 4WD in the best of conditions, not possible with snow.  At least if you can drop On-The-Fly 4WD you can pull tight turns, so long as the rears are free . . . . .

Still sad to have had give it up.. literally lived in that truck but
no regrets to trade for the aussie life and aussie wife tho . . .

4WD is different to AWD.

With 4WD IF you need to use chains - conditions would be horrendous and advisably chains on all wheels would be required. Given that 4WD has been engaged.
Most unmodified 4WD don’t have locked diffs so when one wheel loses traction you loose all your power to the spinning, grip-less wheel. Chains are mostly use on 4WD in mud. Chains on 4WD is to ensure no wheel losses grip.
If conditions are bad enough to require putting chains on a 4WD - think about what your life is worth and how much experience you have driving a 4WD sideways down the embankment off the side of a road, or how many time you have put a vehicle on it’s roof because that’s the kind of thing you need to know to avoid. If you have passengers be sure you (and they) know first aid and how to survive the night in sub zero. And make sure someone is videoing!!

AWD cars are permanently in AWD. Most have the percentage of power to the front wheels until traction is lost, the rear wheels have less power so take up the driving while the front are spinning. Basically AWD cars are front wheel drive until you get understeer (front wheel slide during corner).

Then you have the awesome technology of ANTI SKID or TRACTION CONTROL.
This adjusts power when wheel spin is detected, on ice you literally plant the accelerator to the floor and the computer will slowly apply power to each driving wheel were required, gently driving the car in the direction you steer too. Cars were tested in Europe and a rear wheel drive car with traction control could drive up a 20% incline of solid ice with normal tires while the same car fitted with snow tires (traction control off) slid backwards and could not find grip with the most experienced drivers.

I have traction control on a AWD car, done a traction control driving course on a skid pad with Mercedes yet I still managed to slide off the road in -8C with 10 cm of ice layering the road, at 10-20km/h (2 weeks ago!). Sometimes it’s impossible to compensate - chains or not.

What Spaz is said is very true regarding AWD until you get to things like Audi’s, Lambo’s, Porshce’s, GTR’s etc.  With these AWD systems they are more sports oriented and deliver power mostly to the rear wheels untils things get nasty and then they transfer more power to the front to literally pull the car through the corner.  I suspect that piece of info is useless to most on this forum but if anyone does want to give me a lift to the snow in a Lambo or audi RS4 wagon I would be happy to see this principle in action.

snowdragon - 20 June 2012 11:40 AM
nthnbeachesguy - 20 June 2012 12:13 AM

No if you have a RWD, fine you can steer but you’re not going anywhere.  With two sets of chains on a 4by you’re bullet proof though!

Overkill Mate.  But My experience is on a full size four wheel.  This :
Only with a white topper (what do you aussies call it???)
Beast. Had to put chains on once, wouldn’t make it out of the lower park lot of SLT CA during a SERIOUS Dump without- look at the pic and imagine snow level at the top of the rim. Dragon was Screwed.  Took two of us shovelling to get Sierra able to put the chains on- Chains on front, additional power to rear.  Try taking a tight corner in 4WD in the best of conditions, not possible with snow.  At least if you can drop On-The-Fly 4WD you can pull tight turns, so long as the rears are free . . . . .

Dragon, I love those things, a mate of mine had a Dodge Ram over here for a while, dual wheel rear axle, massive truck but sick.  When I was in the states I loved the way everyone has these massive trucks and wanted one bad.  I was having thoughts of selling everything I own and going to the states for a season, buying a truck and a snowmobile and just living in the truck, would need to find someone to go with but would be an epic way of doing a season. 

I had tickets for the $13mill the other night and if I won I think one of these would be on the agenda

Dodge Ram’s are sick!!!!!

My mate basically had the truck below in black and he towed a horse float not a boat.  He flogged it though cause he had a lot of issues with it.  Not sure if they were all a result of the conversion from left to right hand drive or what the story is but he got jack of it breaking down all the time despite buying it brand new so he traded it in on a Toyota Landcruiser GXL or Sahara or something.  Burned away $60K over three years from the buy price to what he got for the trade.

Yeah, like ya said before, winnin the Lotto is the only way ya can afford to own and run one of them!!!!!

Saw a few of these when I was in Canada!!!!! Toyota Tacoma!!!!! I’m guessin that the reliability would be better, but not sure about the towin capacity?????

Hahaha i had the same thoughts in Tahoe, i wanted a truck baaad!
I actually looked into it upon our return. A new Chevy Silverado here is about $120,000 after conversion etc.

So i looked for 12 month contract jobs in the states, can pick one up for around $30,000+ with a few boxes ticked (or alot more if you want the pimp one)

This is what i want baaaaaad;

nthnbeachesguy - 20 June 2012 11:27 PM

What Spaz is said is very true regarding AWD until you get to things like Audi’s, Lambo’s, Porshce’s, GTR’s etc.  With these AWD systems they are more sports oriented and deliver power mostly to the rear wheels untils things get nasty and then they transfer more power to the front to literally pull the car through the corner.  I suspect that piece of info is useless to most on this forum but if anyone does want to give me a lift to the snow in a Lambo or audi RS4 wagon I would be happy to see this principle in action.

The reason I didn’t mention rear wheel AWD dominated systems.
Though I’m pretty sure Mitsubishi AWD systems are way advanced - they led the tech way for the super car manufacturers to copy.

I wouldn’t want to be in a sports car on ice 500hp without grip = disaster. It is unlikely to have poor conditions and one can always pull up in Cooma or Jindy, so if anyone needs me to drive their Lambo/Porsche/R8 etc. to the snow I’m up for it.

spaz - 21 June 2012 12:20 AM

Though I’m pretty sure Mitsubishi AWD systems are way advanced - they led the tech way for the super car manufacturers to copy.

yeah my mitsubishi legnum import is AWD, has traction control and AYC (active yaw control) which is another complicated system for shifting power around when cornering. How it does it i dont know but my car goes around corners like its on tracks when its dry. Havent had the chance to try it in icey/snowy conditions as the only time ive been in those conditions i was stuck behind 800 other cars heading up to buller doing 20kmh with chains on

Yeah, my Subie has AWD Traction Control and VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control)!!!!! (The VDC can be selected on/off as desired)

It powers and brakes all wheels independently!!!!!

You can see it work in this clip!!!!!

trentradpants - 21 June 2012 02:04 AM
spaz - 21 June 2012 12:20 AM

yeah my mitsubishi legnum import is AWD, has traction control and AYC (active yaw control) which is another complicated system for shifting power around when cornering. How it does it i dont know but my car goes around corners like its on tracks when its dry. Havent had the chance to try it in icey/snowy conditions as the only time ive been in those conditions i was stuck behind 800 other cars heading up to buller doing 20kmh with chains on

A mate of mine had an R33 GTR with about $25K poured into it.  It was quite a frightening thing to drive, pulled like a 3 cylinder 1990 daihatsu charade up till about 3500rpm, after that point it tried to rip your head off and smash it through the rear window.  Even being a GTR with all it’s AWD sophistication, when it’s been that modified it woulda been lethal in the snow.