The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Good places to eat NOZAWA ONSEN / TOKYO / KYOTO ?????

Okay, so now that I am locked in for 2013, I am doin my homework (As I always do), and I am sussin out places to eat/drink/see when over there!!!!!

So let us know about ya good experiences and recommendations with Eateries/Izakayas/Sights that ya have seen/tasted/been to!!!!!

Cheers in advance!!!!!

Love Mizu!!!!!  shaka

So, how are you Mizu?????

Yeah great mate, and yourself?????

LOL

Just noticed all your Japan threads Mizu, will have a read through them later but it’s sure to get the juices flowing again!

As for places to eat off the top of my head in Tokyo.

Yoshinoya is great if you want a good/filling/quick/CHEAP meal. They are scattered everywhere around Tokyo and you can get a nice hot beef and rice bowl for around $10.

Pepper Lunch next to Shibuya Station Once again a nice cheap hot meal. Has the added novelty of cooking your own steak on a hotplate mixing sauces to your liking. Was a nice lunch washed down with a Asahi. I had a pepper steak with plain rice but the steak with eggy fried rice next to me looked fantastic as well.

Beard Papas This place taunted me with it’s sweet smells every day I walked past it until I eventually gave in and bought a cream puff. It was pretty nice (and I don’t even like cream) I can’t remember if it was in Shibuya or Shinjuku station.

Basically it’s really hard to go wrong with food over in Japan. I had no set plan and generally just wandered around and picked a place that looked good when I got hungry. If you like pork, beef, noodles, gyoza, rice you’ll be in heaven. I was only limited by the fact that I’m not really a seafood eater but obviously if you like fresh seafood (tuna/salmon/eel) then you’ll find plenty of that.

Personally I think trying different things that you wouldn’t get over here adds the the experience. I ate some horse sushi which wasn’t the nicest taste in the world but I’m glad I did it.

One thing I would like to splurge on next time is Kobe beef. That is something I would want to research beforehand though as it’s fairly pricey. The Wagyu I had in hakuba was one of the best steaks I’ve had though.

ippudo ramen

one of the best ramen joints in the world
go for the classic

Mizu Kuma - 18 June 2012 04:04 PM

So, how are you Mizu?????

Yeah great mate, and yourself?????

Sorry! I was taken to awesome places with almost locals..

Didn’t pay attention!

Actually the Gyoza World in SunCity was Amazing! LOL if a little kitch!

That’s the spirit guys!!!!!

Thanks, and keep em comin!!!!!  shaka

Just had a look at Pepper Lunch, and it’s a chain!!!!!

There’s one in Sydney!!!!! I’m pretty sure that I have walked past it many a time near the gate at China Town!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 19 June 2012 06:39 AM

Just had a look at Pepper Lunch, and it’s a chain!!!!!

There’s one in Sydney!!!!! I’m pretty sure that I have walked past it many a time near the gate at China Town!!!!!

Yep my sister confirmed that about Pepper Lunch and there is/was apparently a yoshinoya in Sydney as well. From all reports it’s no where as good as the genuine Japanese cooked meals. I do wonder if you get to order your food/beer via a vending machine in the Australian stores?

I’ve also heard Mos Burger (a big chain in Japan) is in QLD and is making it’s way around the country.

My Japanese mate constantly rates Moss Burger!!!!! Did you try that out in ya travels?????

I think that I am pretty much bound by the friendship clause to give it a go now!!!!!  LOL

Oh yeah, pretty sure they didn’t have the ticket vendin machine outside the one at China Town!!!!!

It would’ve been rammed, then tied to the back of a WRX and dragged off otherwise?????

Mizu Kuma - 19 June 2012 07:14 AM

My Japanese mate constantly rates Moss Burger!!!!! Did you try that out in ya travels?????

I think that I am pretty much bound by the friendship clause to give it a go now!!!!!  LOL

Haha no at the time I hadn’t heard about the famous Mos Burger and I generally try to eat healthyish but certainly walked past a couple in my travels. Having said that I did have a burger from Lotteria in Harajuku for breakfast one morning. I was a bit overwhelmed by the menu so the girl picked something for me. Fortunately the pork katsu burger was delish!

Mizu Kuma - 19 June 2012 07:15 AM

Oh yeah, pretty sure they didn’t have the ticket vendin machine outside the one at China Town!!!!!

It would’ve been rammed, then tied to the back of a WRX and dragged off otherwise?????

Haha I think the vending machines are a great idea. No money handling, worrying about correct change etc.