The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What cars do you drive for snow

I just merged the two threads. I’ll leave this thread in Social for now. smile

Ok dual cab 4vy utes aren’t bad either but they’re generally not that cheap unless they’re fairly old.  This pic is from my first weekend this season.

Photobucket

You can get a brand new Great Wall ute for $24999. Don’t have egg on your face like Brian!

Be lucky if it made it 5km’s from the dealership!

pazza - 17 June 2012 04:34 AM

Waaaad up!!

So i’m in the market for a new car.. im downgrading.. something more economical and cheaper to run, however.. i need to ensure there is enough room for a snowboard..

SO.. just wondering what some of the smaller cars are that you guys are driving and how you go with storage space for snowboard + gear etc…

Looking at hatches mostly…

Cheers!

hey pazza i we have just spent the weekend down at perisher and took my girlfriends car she has a turbo diesel i30 hatch and man did we packed it full with three boards three people and a shit load of food and beer. we drove from Sydney to jindy and then both days to the tube and then back to Sydney and got to goulburn still had 1/4 of a tank so already had 700km with 1/4 left and probs didnt have to fill up when we did but was good for a maccas and petrol stop haha which compared to my petrol hilux is light years ahead of it . becuase i only get like 500km to a full tank!.

TJswish - 18 June 2012 08:07 AM

You can get a brand new Great Wall ute for $24999. Don’t have egg on your face like Brian!

I bought mine second hand, I could sell it tomorrow for what I paid for it no worries, try that with a great wall.

yeah great walls would have to be the shitest cars on the market hahaha,

Actually no I think that might be a battle between Mahindra and Chery!

Hahah i was about to say Cherry would be worse!

Lol I was joking with the great wall comment. That would be like buying a Hyosung or Dalim motorcycle

Currently drive a Hilux Surf and it has been good for all my trips (snow, 4WDING etc), heaps of room, 4WD and Turbo Diesel is a great mix. I have previously taken an 02 RX impreza wagon down and that was great, I have also driven through alpine way all the way around and past Talbingo in an VY2 Clubsport and that was a GREAT drive and as previously commented the V8 is a great tourer, though I wouldn’t have wanted a RWD V8 on chains if the road conditions were bad. I would recommend a suby as others have, the one I had I loved and every time I remember it I wish i kept it :(

Actually the Mahindra gets some decent cred for a cheapo!!!!!

I’d buy an Amarok if I was in the market for a dual cab fourbie!!!!!

I kinda like the Amarok but IMO like everything German they want far too much money for what it is, also it doesn’t appear to come in auto.  With that said the new Ranger asking price is stupid, just as bad as the Toyota tax of previous years.  The new Colorado looks interesting as does it’s sibling the DMax.  I don’t think I will ever by a new car again, yes it is nice but the depreciation regardless of tax benefits just hurts, I’m going to wait another 12-18 months and then go look at the Ranger/Colorado/DMax as the new models start hitting the 2nd market with 40-50,000kms on em and in the mid thirties price bracket.

Recently I have been seeing some awesome looking Jeep Wrangler Unlimited’s popping up on Carsales, the two door is a joke but the 4 door unlimited looks pretty handy, I’m only talking about the diesels here, no desire to own a 4WD on petrol.

Hey guys…

Sorry havent replied…

Will be looking at used and price range of arround $15K can stretch to $20K but would rather not..
And I can drive a manual..

Thanks,

K

jeepers! $15-20k and that is downgrading? I spent 6k on my car in 2005 and that felt like a small fortune! grin