The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Japan Rail and the JR Tourist Pass?????

Anyone used these before?????

~Japan Rail Pass~

Just wondering if this would be my cheapest option for travel from

Tokyo > Nagano > Nozawa & then Nozawa > Nagano > Kyoto ?????

Staying in Nozawa for 7 nights!!!!! Does the 7 day pass cover you on the 8th day, or do you have to buy the 14 day pass?????

Does this pass work out cheaper/easier option than buyin one way passes at the station on the day?????

Cheers in advance,

Love, Mizu!!!!!  kiss

Last time I was there you could get one which was 4 days worth of travel within a month long period.

I’d suggest that would work for you.

Does that cover all types of trains in all ares, Tobi?????

Where did ya use that type of pass when you were there?????

I think it was a JR east pass.

Here - http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass/index.html

The 4 day flexible pass.

Yeah saw that one too!!!!!

What stations did you use it on?????

Can ya remember how much of a saving that ya made by gettin that one?????

Did ya pre purchase, or could ya get it from the first disembarkation point?????

(Sorry for all the questions)

Ahhh, just read on that link that the East Pass doesn’t include the Kyoto leg!!!!!!

So that one is a no go for me, unfortunately!!!!! Otherwise that would’ve been a ripper!!!!! Green Car was only 28000 Yen!!!!!  downer

I used it;

Airport to Tokyo
Tokyo to Nagano
Nagano to airport

So worked well for me.

The 2nd time I went we did a day trip to Matsumoto. So used all 4 days that time.

Unfortunately (Or dependin on how ya see it, Fortunately for me), It wont do the Kyoto leg!!!!!

And now that Azz is layin down a convincin argument for me to go and visit Hiroshima, the 14 day JR Pass is lookin like a solid option now!!!!!

Did ya travel in the GREEN Class, or Standard, Tobi?????

The Standard still looks better than any economy transport that I have seen!!!!!

Did ya carry ya gear with you????? Do they charge extra for luggage, such as board bags etc?????

Umm as far as I remember it was standard. It was fine. Keeping in mind the last time I was in Japan was 09 (my memory sucks these days).

From the airport gear was sent on to my lodge using a transport system but I had my gear with me on the way back. We just shoved it in the travel bag section and were done with it.

Just out of interest how much is the 14 day pass?

Roughly $550pp Standard!!!!! (At the current exchange rate)

Thanks for ya input too!!!!! Muchly appreciated!!!!!

Yeah the only problem with the train travel in Japan is the different companies! Its why i didn’t go to Kyoto on my first trip downer

You don’t have to by the pass in advance (even the one for internationals) we showed up to the window at Tokyo airport and go the discounted pass.

From the airport to Nagano back to Tokyo and even on the Metro we carried all our gear. And put it in the luggage area of the train. Standard is fine.

The Shinkansen from Nagano > Kyoto is covered in the JR Pass????? (Not in the JR East Pass though)

I thought that this pass had to be pre-purchased as it only valid to travelers that do not reside in Japan?????

Did ya have to show ya passport to get the pass????? What pass did you get, oz?????

Showed our passport at the window in Tokyo. Was shitting myself that it would cost a bomb! I think we did the 4 day travel pass and it was in the $200.

Must have been the JR East pass we got then.

Hang on I may still have it! I remember I was going to send it to an american girl living there to see if she could use the last day on it! LOL (i read her blog)