The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo 2012

Not talking about the pilots!

But in saying that I have a couple of friends who jump at Picton and the pilots there voli to keep their hours up and most of the “Tandem Masters” do tandem jumps and don’t take the cash they have the credit applied to their running acct for jump cash! It costs a bomb to go sky diving for a day and only jumping a couple of times.

The below is an excerpt from a report on aircraft accidents in Australia between 2002 and 2011

Table 3:  Fatal accidents and fatalities by operation type, 2002 to 2011

Operation type                     Number of aircraft associated with a fatality   Number of fatalities
Commercial air transport                               17                                 52

General Aviation                                     145                                 233

From that you can conclude that you are 8.5 times more likely to die on a private plane than a commercial one.  To dig a little deeper in the table for general aviation is as per below excluding things like mustering, crop dusting and pilot training and focusing on the what a private flight like Oz’s would be

Operation type                     Number of aircraft associated with a fatality   Number of fatalities

Private/Business/sport                                   89                           156

Now you’re only 5 times more likely to be killed than commercial statistically speaking….........................................................

Again - have you see the sky diving incidents of late?

Anyway I am not saying you are wrong in being a scary cat, just saying how I justify it in my eyes.

I think you only live once! Enjoy it and experience something new. Not forcing anyone to come with me!

(love the fact that flying to the snow has attracted more attention then Thredbo itself LOL )

oh i wasnt talking about picton, so ignore me!

16 deaths in 7 years from 2004 to 2011 in Australia for skydiving.

The flying part is the interesting bit, no one he3re seems to have much love for thredbo anymore ha ha!  The other issue I have with the flying part is that you drive to the airport, park wait for boarding etc, fly down, get off, get picked up or get a hire car and drive the 45mins from Cooma and your probably up to close to 4 hours anyways.

BTW is this you’re way of trying to get to the snow faster than me after you’re shocking effort going through the Fyshwick route rather than QBean?

Ah but that’s the fun bit about flying private, we would walk pretty much straight onto the plane! And pretty sure we can now fly to Jindy!

I agree with you - but in saying that as soon as we have the dates for next years Shred at Hotham I am using FF pts to fly from SYD to Hotham!

Is next years at hotham?

As long as it’s not in Thredbo right?  I thought it was going to be at Falls?  I have been to Hotham and wasn’t super impressed, Orchard was ok but I remember the terrain park looked ordinary and the place is upside down!

They barely have a park at Hotham these days…

And yeh the place is inverted! i was confused when i first went there “so i park my car at the top and ride to the bottom?”

Really?? okay ignore me then…

Sucks for us to get there though :-(

I know Vic people have come here for two years but Jindy is hell close to Melb than Syd is to Falls!

Well it’s 8 hours for us to Falls and 7 Hours for them to Jindy, thats if they can go the Khancoban/Thredbo/Jindy way through winter?

Thats the way we came up to the shred last year. bit more than 7 hrs

Thanks for the offer Oz! Will see what’s happening closer to the date.

Ah I thought it was closer to 6

Anyway it doesn’t matter - I will go wherever, truly thought it would be Hotham and I suspected a certain club lodge… If that was the case I would fly grin

If the rest dont want to come here, you can all get f*cked! we will hold our own shred!  billy