The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

june long weekend anybody ???

nthnbeachesguy - 10 June 2012 09:34 PM

There’s enough snow not to damage ur base, the lift ines were off putting though!

It’s the off-piste in newly opened areas that are the main worry in the early season - when rocks are only barely covered.

Bit more of an in depth rundown on the weekend.  Had dinner with Dylan and Oz Friday night at the Bowlo then had a couple more drinks at the Banjo afterwards before I retired to my tent in the Jindy camp ground.  Saturday after finally getting in touch with Dylan and picking him up headed up to Perisher.  The first hour or so was fine and the the lift lines got retarded, waiting 20mins or more pretty much every time.  I actually felt pretty good in the morning but after stopping for a bite about 11 proceeded to eat shit a lot, not really sure why.

Gave up on the lift lines about 3 and headed back to Jindy, got myself a 6 pack of Jimmy and admired the view for a while.

Photobucket

Dylan came down and we had a couple of drinks in the campground before heading off to Banjo’s for dinner.  Pretty devo to discover they have got rid of the salad bar and now you just get what you’re given with your meal, no more loading up with pasta and chips etc!  I bailed back to the tent about 10:30, Oz who came out to meet us and Dylan kicked on for a little while longer.  Next morning picked Dylan up again, surprisingly he didn’t look to shabby either ha ha.  Same as the day before we had a few runs before the lift lines got bad.  We had a discussion about giving up early but first I wanted to have a squiz at the park and Banger was on the V8 as well.

Headed over to the park off the quad, I had been watching it the day before and was having mixed feelings about the 30ft kicker.  On the one hand it looked fun but then it felt kinda early in the season and I wasn’t super comfortable on my board, basically second guessing myself.  Got to the point where I decided I wouldn’t be to happy with myself driving home if I didn’t at least straight air it once.  Watched a few crew hit it and paid attention to those who were making it (so many ppl were knuckling the shit out of it) and straightlined it from where they went.  Maybe cause I’m a little heavier I got a bit more speed up, Dylan reckons I really took off and I landed probably 2/3rds down the landing but landed fine.  There was a split second where I thought oh, maybe I’ve overcooked this a bit but luckily still came down on the landing and not the flat.

Jumped in the line for the V8 again and gave Banger a call to see where he was at.  Turned out he about 10mins behind us in the lift line so we made plans to meet him and his girl up the top.  Took this while waiting for them

Photobucket

Had a bit of a chat and then headed back through the park, I straight aired the kicker again and we decided to try our luck on the Tbar.  I was on with Dyaln and was so busy trying to text I slipped off the Tbar after about 30m, pretty funny actually.  I had no interest in waiting in the lift line again and I only wanted to hit the kicker so I diod what a lot of others were doing and hiked it, actually got there before Dylan and Banger.  Was pretty confident with the kicker so decided to try a back 3 off it, Banger followed alongside to get a feel for the speed.  I shoulda carried more speed then I had for the straight airs cause I washed a bit off and just caught the knuckle and went down, Dylan got it on his Iphone, pulled some frame grabs and turned them right side up for this one.

Photobucket

Hiked it again and went a second time for the back 3, similar result but really only just tagged the knuckle, was enough to unsettle me enough to wash out and slide down the landing on my arse.  Hiked again for third time lucky and sure enough I bombed it pretty straight and landed perfect, pretty stoked.  Hiked and did it one more time for good measure and landed that too.

Jumped in the car about lunchtime, dropped Dylan at the backpackers and then dropped in to Ozgirls parents to pick up Coop3’s free to good home boots for my girlfriend, back to the campground to pack my tent then on the way home at 2pm, got there just after 7.  Had a fun weekend, the kicker was my highlight but good to meet everyone as well, hope to see you guys again soon.  Extra bonus is the boots seem to be a perfect fit so a massive thanks to Coop3 and Oz for facilitating, big karma points your way and will shout Coop3 dinner or a few drinks if our paths cross through the season!

nice stuff nthn, it looks like you really enjoyed your self…

Friday was fun, hardly any crowds though only two lifts open in Perisher. Saturday was crazy busy! I didn’t get up to Perisher til maybe 930-10. I didn’t bother jumping on a lift, just went home. Had my mums birthday party that night anyway :D

I drove down on Thursday to do the skibum announcement on Friday. Was on the snow at 630am for the announcement, seeing the sunrise over the mtns was pretty special smile. Spent most of the day doing interviews, writing for the blog and got to be the first to ride the quad chair to midstation for the season smile.

Although I didn’t get many runs in it felt so good to strap in again, I missed out on going overseas last season so I was just itching to get back into it smile

Perisher snow reporter Alice Joyce in this one below.

nthnbeachesguy - 11 June 2012 02:01 AM

Photobucket

Hiked it again and went a second time for the back 3, similar result but really only just tagged the knuckle, was enough to unsettle me enough to wash out and slide down the landing on my arse.  Hiked again for third time lucky and sure enough I bombed it pretty straight and landed perfect, pretty stoked.  Hiked and did it one more time for good measure and landed that too.

Nice write up…you should post it in the perisher thread as well cause I reckon this thread will bite the dust after this weeek!

Copy paste or can a mod do it?

I can move the whole post for you if you like?

Yeah no dramas K2, I don’t really mind if it disappears but if others like it or find it informative/entertaining maybe copy it as well as Ash’s post.