The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboarding in Japan

It’s a dream of mine to go snowboarding in Japan one day. Since I’m super lazy, I was just wondering if those that have been before could share their experiences and how much money it costs to do such a trip. smile

static_22 - 01 June 2012 03:34 AM

It’s a dream of mine to go snowboarding in Japan one day. Since I’m super lazy, I was just wondering if those that have been before could share their experiences and how much money it costs to do such a trip. smile

Not sure if you were around the forums when I posted my Japan 2012 trip report but check it out here if you haven’t https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4590/

Billy and Ozgirl also have trip reports from this season floating around.

Price wise (approximates)

Flights: $900-$1800
Accomodation: Dirt Cheap-Very expensive. My backpackers probably worked out something like $40/night
Lift Tickets: ~$40-$50/day
Food/Drink: Great on snow food options around $10 for a katsu don bowl. Drinks also reasonably priced.
Tokyo: Hotel rooms available around $70 a night in Shinjuku. Soooooo many good food options.

In summary Japan is amazing (and I didn’t even get the famous powder). I’m looking forward to Perisher this year but if I could fast forward to Japan 2013 I would!

If you have any specific questions I’ll try to answer them.

pretty much what drc said, just to add to it, ITS UNBELIEVABLE AMAZING i dunno what other words to use….

A third these guys! It’s awesome!

Ditto!

the snow is wet and shit and theres hardly any of it, i had the worst time, the japanese are horrible people, ill never go back and i dont think you should go…......................
Actually the complete opposite of all that is true.

i spent just under $5000 with flights and a dont hold back on anything attitude to spending which included a luxury hire van and the purchasing of many fireworks and bb guns

Been to Niseko and Hakuba in Japow - here’s my Hak TR smile
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4491/

Arrrgggh just read through drc’s and my TR… I wanna go back!!! downer

reading your TRs makes me wanna go back to Japan too.
$3500 for 13 days (including flights) we stayed in Rising Sun Rooms Hotel, far from the nightlife of echoland but we had UFO club just downstairs.
I miss the parties at Naughty in Tsugaike this bar/club had a mini skate ramp!! Go check it out for 2013

I spent about $3000 for 13 days inc flights (jetstar for $750)

Japan was amazing! There are plenty of things to do in Tokyo alone to spend 5 days or more if you haven’t been before. Tons of good food and people try to help when they can.

Don’t go to Japan for the shopping (there is lots of choice but its the same price as Australia) You are better off spending a day looking around but don’t go there to buy equipment etc.

Check out things like Shibuya / Ginza / Ueno / Harajuku (sunday arvo)

Overall, just do it. It is amazing!

are you gay, TJ?

Close enough.

ha, I see you edited your post, so my post doesn’t make sense anymore. Sooooo, I edited my post LOL

Ok so you have to put up with some skiers and a horrible NZ accent but if this video doesn’t make you want to go to Japan I don’t know what will.

It is 30mins long but I just watched it in HD on my TV and loved it. Nozawa Onsen is very much on my shortlist now.

After reading everything you’ve all written and watching half of that video so far, I want to go snowboarding in Japan even more than before. I didn’t think that was even possible. Thanks everyone smile