The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mt Buller 2012

MEDIA RELEASE:

Buller’s Better - in 2012 and beyond

Mt Buller has plenty to celebrate on the 9th June for the official opening of the snow season. The Resort this year unveils a new chairlift, a revitalised northside area, more snowmaking and a great new look to the Village arrival.

Leading the exciting changes at Mt Buller this season is the brand new Bonza Chairlift, the only new chairlift to be constructed in Australia or New Zealand this season and is a $3.1 million investment by Buller Ski Lifts. This new fixed-grip Doppelmayr quad chairlift will boost Mt Buller’s lift network opening up access to the popular area between the Burnt Hut Spur and the Summit. The new lift replaces the old Burnt Hut Chairlift lost to lightning damage in early 2010.

The lift has been affectionately named the Bonza Chairlift and is a celebration of Australian skiing and boarding and all about injecting fun back into the northern slopes at Mt Buller this winter. The lift improves the flow on the northern side of the mountain and is eagerly anticipated by skiers and boarders keen to get into the rolling tree-runs and stashes that have been hard to access in recent years.

The Howqua Chairlift is also upgraded this winter with 91 new Poma chairs replacing the old seats.  The lift has been mechanically overhauled in recent years with and these comfortable new chairs, complete with special ‘Kid Stop’ safety bars, are the final flourish.

“It’s been a busy summer that has been all about making Buller Better. I think guests will be excited by the big changes they are going to see all over the resort” said Buller Ski Lifts General Manager Laurie Blampied.

“In addition to the lift, additional snowmaking and the reshaping of our Northside Discovery Area the new B-TAG lift passes and automated access system we’ve rolled out this year will take the mountain to a new level in technology and convenience. Not since the merging of the two lift companies back in 1985 will Buller skiers experience such a significant improvement to their access and freedom to move around the mountain.”

Guests to Mt Buller this winter will notice a new look to what has been know as the Buller Community Centre building, with the top level having been transformed into a resort reception and interpretive centre and the complex renamed Alpine Central. The entrance to Alpine Central has been completely remodeled, and houses a historical and art display area as well as the Mt Buller Information Centre and Post Office. Alpine Central will remain home to the Mt Buller Cinema, the National Alpine Museum and the Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management headquarters.

Additionally Getting around the Village has been made even easier with the completion of the final stage of the heated and landscaped pathways network that now stretch from the Mt Buller Chalet all the way to Summit Road past the ABOM.

Both the Reception and Interpretive Centre and the heated pathway network were projects that flowed out from the Mt Buller Resort Master Plan. The Plan contains a number of staged developments to improve access to and around Mt Buller, grow the Resort’s commercial and activity offering and enhance the interface between the Mt Buller Village and other key areas of the Resort.

A long standing favourite of Mt Buller regulars, the Arlberg Hotel, has also undergone a major renovation over the summer period. The project, worth $2.5 million, has seen the main bar and restaurant demolished and excavated to create an undercover car park, a new bar and restaurant overlooking Bourke Street, plus a roof deck with sensational views.

Chief Executive Officer of Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management, John Huber, is looking forward to another fantastic snow season at Mt Buller. “We’re very excited for the coming winter, and we’ve been working hard over the summer to complete some fantastic improvements to the resorts both on and off the snow, including the Reception and Interpretive Centre, the new look for Alpine Central, the completion of the village heated pathway network, and of course the exciting addition of the Bonza Chairlift and extended snowmaking.

“Opening weekend is a fantastic time to visit Mt Buller, with a weekend of festivities for the whole family as we celebrate the first weekend of the snow season. Mt Buller offers the ideal escape for the long weekend, with the resort an easy three-hour drive from Melbourne.”

The 2012 snow season will officially commence on the Queen’s Birthday long weekend, June 9-11. A weekend full of events, activities and celebrations is planned, with festivities kicking off in the Village Square on Saturday afternoon with live music, complimentary glühwein and hot chocolate, fireworks and the popular Barry Possum Show and Hot Stuff the Clown performing for the kids. The celebrations will continue on the Sunday, with the official opening of the Bonza Chairlift, live music and the Olympic Winter Institute fundraising dinner.

Mt Buller is the ideal winter escape, and easy three-hour drive from Melbourne. A range of accommodation deals and packages are available for Opening Weekend and the entire season - visit mtbuller.com.au for further details and call 1800 BULLER to book.

Heard that Buller may be opening this weekend, is that still on the cards?

Yeah I heard that too?

Considering that this is what Bourke street looks like 3 days out, I’m going with no.

LOL - Buller would charge 100 bucks for that! wink

Honestly I reckon they’ve run lifts with less snow than that.

Remember the pic from a couple of years ago with just one strip of snow down Bourke street?

Found it!

hahahhahahaha what the f*ck?

Hahaha… photoshop at its best… or not? wink

and the ambos are there too in action LOL

Billy - 31 May 2012 12:26 PM

Its real…....‘06 IIRC

Azz - 31 May 2012 09:19 PM
Billy - 31 May 2012 12:26 PM

Its real…....‘06 IIRC

You’re kidding… big surprise I always thought it was a fake?! Surely they wouldn’t open that!!

Never went to Buller in 06, just Hotham

Remember Hotham was shocking too?

Orchard area didn’t open at all that year.

I remember Hotham in 07 and that was just horrible!
Edit: sorry, it was 06, just realized I went to NZ in 07 cos of my 06 experience

Azz - 31 May 2012 10:36 PM

Remember Hotham was shocking too?

Orchard area didn’t open at all that year.

Yes I remember that Azz!!! Touch wood!!!!

Not too sure whether this is the correct thread or not, but anyhow, I have been speaking to my mate who works at Buller and it is puking down. Had 20cm last night and big flakes today with no wind. Having said that they have had stuff before today. Thought this may help anyone heading up there this weekend