The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Where to stay - NSW

Hey All,

Am considering dragging Clan Mudhoney to NSW for 2013.  I’m looking for a reasonably-priced, family-oriented lodge on the snow at Perisher.  Can I please get some recommendations?  Also, where exactly are the lodges at Perisher?  The last time I was there was maybe 15 years ago and I don’t remember seeing any.

Cheers,

Mud

Reasonably priced and on snow dont go together IMHO (depends what you call reasonably priced i guess)

I have stayed in a friends lodge in Guthega before, that was awesome but not sure about perisher sorry.

A lot of lodges are private, so I don’t know about getting in to them… deano is right… reasonably priced doesn’t really exist LOL

I guess what I mean is reasonably priced considering it is on snow, ie. not looking for 5 star luxury, just a typical club lodge that is family-oriented.

thanks, Blizz, but holy crap those are expensive.  To give you an idea, here’s the rates for the place I’m staying at on the snow in a good spot at Hotham this year.  This is for dorm-style accommodation (group of 4-6 almost certain to get their own room), shared facilities, BYO food etc.  Don’t some of you NSWers stay in club lodges, or aren’t they as common up there?

Not at perisher that i am aware of.

Guthega has lots (attached to Perisher via runs chairs/t bars)

I have stayed at a friends at Smiggins Holes but you have to be approved by two members to stay.

If you want cheap you are gonna have to go to Jindabyne.

deanogoose - 28 May 2012 05:59 AM

hm so what do most ppl do?  Stay at Jindy or somewhere else off-snow?  When I was there I was lucky enough to have free accom at Eucumbene.

blizzard_22 - 28 May 2012 06:11 AM

I have stayed at a friends at Smiggins Holes but you have to be approved by two members to stay.

If you want cheap you are gonna have to go to Jindabyne.

Yeah interesting.  Seems like the club lodges are all private.  Maybe there’s more demand or less supply than in Vic?

Mudhoney - 28 May 2012 06:15 AM
deanogoose - 28 May 2012 05:59 AM

hm so what do most ppl do?  Stay at Jindy or somewhere else off-snow?  When I was there I was lucky enough to have free accom at Eucumbene.

All my overnight stays have either been at The Station in Jindy, mates place when he was working the season and had a place right near the Banjo in Jindy or in the car. I actually dont know anyone personally who has stayed on snow in Perisher…

thanks.  What about Thredders - same deal?

Thredbo is its own village so all accom is pretty much on or very near snow. i have only been there once so Spaz would be your best bet on info for there

actually this one doesn’t look too bad.  Pretty small so I guess you’d be lucky to get a booking during school hols.

edit: ah crap, requires member referral.

Reasonable on snow accom for a family is Smiggins Hotel. I hear a lot of good rec’s for it. They really look after the kids there. They have a kids club,  separate dinner etc.

Sponars Chalet is a little further down the hill - but may be cheaper there. Coop has stayed there and enjoyed it.

A little further down the hill is Ski Rider. Cheap and cheerful. And full of families during the school holidays I assume.

In Jindy Coop recommends The Three Ways. http://www.stayz.com.au/88736

And there is always my parents - Beejays. But depends on how much space you want. Wouldn’t recommend for more that 2 young kids as it is only a one bedder.
http://www.stayz.com.au/94055. But they are booked already for NSW school holidays. Also if you did want to book contact me don’t use stayz. grin