The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

State of Origin 2012

Pretty disappointing really.  Jennings is an idiot, Origin or not that wouldn’t have been tolerated, first you grab a player and rip him off and if he has a swing then go to town, don’t just run in with a haymaker.  Carney is a tool, that was one of the worst performances I have ever seen, I thought Hayne played pretty well apart from his one or two soccer antics but the Stewarts were pretty well contained.  As far the refereeing went not much to say, that Inglis try was a shocking decision and basically cost NSW any chance of winning.  I also thought the length of time tacklers were allowed to slow the play was atrocious but Qld seemed to get the better end of that stick as far as penalties were concerned.  It could have been a far better game had the refereeing been on point, IMO the game was decided by the refs not the players.

Agree with everythin ya said, nthn!!!!!

And I truly believe that the sooner they bring a challenge option in, the game will be a hell of a lot fairer!!!!!

yeah I know. I love the game and grew up watching my beloved Raiders.  Origin used to give me goosebumps. Now I just can’t separate the massive boganism from the game. Anyone who cheers or enjoys watching a fight in a game isn’t quite right in the head, I don’t think.
In most sports, having the self-discipline to not try and smash someone when they bait you is lauded….not being dumb enough to lash out and end up costing your team is respected.
In league you do it and people defend your right to do it and say what a good shot it was? so bogan.

yeah I think if he had played at the ball with his foot, then with the new rules it would have been the right decision….but it was clearly an accident! He was off-balance and not trying to kick the ball away. Inglis didn’t have proper control and lost it cold.

cords - 24 May 2012 12:32 AM

Anyone who cheers or enjoys watching a fight in a game isn’t quite right in the head, I don’t think.
In most sports, having the self-discipline to not try and smash someone when they bait you is lauded….not being dumb enough to lash out and end up costing your team is respected.
In league you do it and people defend your right to do it and say what a good shot it was? so bogan.

You like Ice Hockey yes*? Thats one massive fight with a lil bit of hockey thrown in.

cords - 24 May 2012 12:34 AM

yeah I think if he had played at the ball with his foot, then with the new rules it would have been the right decision….but it was clearly an accident! He was off-balance and not trying to kick the ball away. Inglis didn’t have proper control and lost it cold.

Yeh that decision was terrible, in the Daily telegraph even Harrigan said it was the wrong decision.

*I ma be wrong, i remember you saying you went to a Flames game in Calgary

yeah but obviously not for the fighting! I’ve only been to watch one match and I never see it on TV. I was blown away by the skating and stick skills and by how fast paced it was. Whenever I’d seen short highlights on TV, it had been so hard to follow the puck - so much better in real life. No fights in the Flames game I went to, either.

Ice Hockey (at least in Sweden & I’m sure in all the other parts of the world it is popular) is played by the same meat head bogans that mostly play footy here! Of course there are exceptions to this meat head rule but the culture of the game is filled with it and I can’t deal anymore. The idea that the lowest common denominator is viewed as a hero instead of a zero, I will never come to grips with.

If/when I have kids, there isn’t a chance I’d be exposing them to that world. The small bits of junior footy that I have seen have pretty much been disgraceful - all the yelling and screaming of abuse from the sideline for an U/8s of whatever match? what the hell? I’ve never seen that at my nephew’s soccer or little athletics.

Ahhh the good old Parents getting stuck into little kids when they do somethign wrong on the field. I agree, its disgusting.

Have presonally never seen any yelling at an under 8’s game though. Under 11’s-12’s etc i have seen it (not from my club mind you, it was from clubs that are from a low socio-economic area, whether that has any bearing on it i dont know but that is just my observations from over 10 years playing and spectacting local games).

Disappointing game. Poor decision by the Blues not to go for the try when they have Queensland on the ropes. Bad calls by the ref too.  hmmm