The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Street League Skateboarding 2012

NYJAH HUSTON WINS STREET LEAGUE KANSAS CITY 2012

In what is being called the most exciting Street League contest yet, Chris Cole and EU Selection pro, Bastien Salabanzi came out in the top 2 spot after the semi-finals to earn themselves a spot in the finals.  Kansas City finalists included Paul Rodriguez, Mikey Taylor, Chaz Ortiz, Ryan Sheckler, Sean Malto, and Nyjah Huston. With only a few attempts left Nyjah and Bastien were going back and forth between 1st and 2nd place. With one try left Bastien nearly took first by almost Double Kick Flip Frontside Boardsliding the Big rail. Bastien’s bail left the contest in Nyjah’s hands, who in typical Nyjah style did not disappoint on his final trick with a kickflip backside nosebluntslide on the big rail.

“It was a hard one tonight, that‘s for sure!” said Nyjah. “I definitely had to work for it. I love the challenge though and to skate with these guys is great.”

“I could not have imagined a better way to start the 2012 tour. The changes to the format combined with the new pros help make this stop one of our most exciting contests ever,” says Street League creator Rob Dyrdek. “Seeing Bastien, Cole, P-Rod, Ortiz, and Nyjah fight it out to the very end was exactly what I was hoping for. Congrats to Nyjah and all the other pros that helped make this one unforgettable.”

From the very beginning to fireworks at the end, the first stop of 2012 will be one to remember.  In the Run Section on the Finals it was Chaz Ortiz in 1st place after his solid line that included tricks like Kick Flip Frontside Crooked Grind and a Kick Flip Frontside Board Slide. Kansas City’s own Sean Malto nearly didn’t make the cut but was able to bump out Mikey Taylor on his last attempt by 1/10th of a point. In the Best Trick Section the pros rolled away from some of the most technical tricks to ever go down in Street League. Tricks like Chaz Ortiz’s Kick Flip Backside Tail Slide Backside 360, Nyjah Huston’s Big Spin to Frontside Hurricane Grind for a 9.4 and new member of the 9 Club Paul Rodriguez who landed a Switch Kick Flip Backside Tail Slide Shove It out down the Hubba Ledge for a 9.2.

Unable to catch up despite his amazing Backside Nose Grind Nollie Flip Sean Malto was eliminated after the Best Trick Section. In the Big Section it was still anyone’s contest with just over 2 points separating 1st and 6th place. Every Single pro put it down from Ryan Sheckler’s Backside 360 off the Big Section Bump, Chris Cole’s Caballerial Frontside Boardslide, Paul Rodriguez stomping a Switch 360 Flip, and Chaz Ortiz’s Nollie Backside Big Spin off the Bump. The most incredible Big Section skating came from our top 2 Bastien Salabanzi & Nyjah Huston with Tricks like Bastien’s incredible Big Spin Flip Frontside Boardslide for a 9.2 and Nyjah Huston sealing the deal by 1st try Kick Flip Backside Nose Blunt Sliding the Big Rail for a 9.1.

Street League’s $1.6 million purse is the largest in skateboarding history and almost double the combined winnings for all other skate contests. Nearly $400,000 will be awarded at the next stop in Ontario, CA at the Citizens Business Bank Arena on July 15 – 16 with the SLS tour culminating in a winner-takes-all Championship in Newark, NJ at the Prudential Center on August 26. The SLS Championship will feature the winners of the first three stops of the 2012 tour along with the remaining top eight qualifiers who will compete for $200,000 as well as the title of Street League Champion.  Finals for the next stop will air LIVE on ESPN2. Check http://www.streetleague.com for complete qualifying webcast schedule.

Street League Skateboarding is presented by DC Shoes and Monster Energy, with additional sponsorship by Chevrolet, Air Force Reserve, Superheat, mophie, Zumiez, Nixon, Bill My Parents, and Paramount - G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation.

Chris Cole at 10 seconds is one of the sickest things I’ve ever seen! What do you call that? A No comply 360? but its on a rail?

I never use this word but the only word that kept coming into my head as I watched for the 50th time is DOPE!

Yep, that was sick. I love Chris Cole’s style and bag of tricks. Nyjah is a machine - he killed it.

watching these vids is dangerous! They make everything look so easy that it makes me want to try some of those tricks

haha Gamblor you’re frothing on skating quite a large amount, at the moment, aren’t you?!?! Love the enthusiasm. You sound like me when I actually get to ride my snowboard! sweeet!

Nugget’s nollie 540flip over the centre gap is awesome!

yeah, so hyped on skating right now. we’ll have to see how it goes after my first slam.

ONTARIO PRACTICE SESSION

Street League pros broke in the new course today in Ontario, California on the second stop of the SLS 2012 DC Pro Tour. Get a taste of what’s sure to come in Friday’s qualifier and Saturday’s finals.

Featuring: Matt Miller, Mikey Taylor, Mike Mo Capaldi, Nyjah Huston, and Chris Cole.

NYJAH HUSTON WINS SECOND STRAIGHT IN ONTARIO

Ontario, California (June 16, 2012) – This weekend Ontario, California’s Citizen Business Bank Arena was sold out and packed to the rafters for the second stop of the 2012 Street League DC Pro Tour Fueled by Monster Energy (SLS).  Fans witnessed some of the world’s best skateboarders battle it out for the $150,000 prize. Huston came out strong to win and repeat his victory from the first stop in Kansas City, landing the highest score of the day with a Caballerial Kick Flip Backside Lipslide in the Best Trick Section and walking away with first place and $150,000.

Fans were on the edge of their seats during the last section of the finals as Huston went trick for trick with Chaz Ortiz, Sean Malto and Luan Oliveira. Huston came out on top with an overall Finals score of 47.7. Ortiz came in a close second with an overall finals score of 46.2 followed by Malto who rounded out the top three with a 45.9.

“This win in Ontario felt awesome,” said Nyjah Huston. “It was another one that was really close. It was great and I feel so good. Time to go celebrate!”

“I’m thrilled to come back to California and showcase Street League’s evolution as the most exciting skateboarding contest ever,” says creator Rob Dyrdek.  “Again it came down to the very last trick with Ortiz, Malto, and Huston all having a shot to win. In the end, Huston landed the biggest tricks when it mattered and showed again that when he Is at the top of his game he’s unstoppable.”

This year Street League Skateboarding continues to grow, altering the format and adding six new pros. The pros pulled no punches throughout the Stop Two Finals, evolving with the new format, that allowed them to flow throughout the entire course with the new 45-second run section and landing the most difficult tricks in a Big Section format where only four attempts count out of six. Out of the final’s most notable tricks, it was SLS pro Nyjah Huston who took home the Monster Energy Best Trick Award worth $15,000 for landing the highest scoring trick of the day with a Caballerial Kick Flip Backside Lipslide for a 9.8.

Collectively the 24 SLS pros voted for Jimmy Carlin to win the Zumiez 24-7 Award worth $7,000. After the finals, all the skaters had one more shot to skate in the Chevrolet Overdrive for a chance at $10,000.  Chris Cole, Jimmy Carlin, Ryan Sheckler & Shane O’Neill all skated solid, but it was Tom Asta who ended up with the prize, doing amazing tricks all over the course including a Kick Flip Backside Nose Grind Revert and a Switch Frontside and Backside Heel Flip down the Big set.

Street League’s $1.6 million purse is the largest in skateboarding history and almost double the combined winnings for all other skate contests. Stop Three brings the tour to Glendale, Arizona at the Jobing.com Arena on July 14-15, then the SLS tour culminates in a winner-takes-all Championship in Newark, NJ at the Prudential Center on August 26. The SLS Championship will feature the winners of the first three stops of the 2012 tour along with the remaining top eight qualifiers who will compete for $200,000 as well as the title of Street League Champion.  Finals for Glendale, AZ will air LIVE on ESPN2 on July 15 at 7pm ET. Check http://www.streetleague.com for complete qualifying webcast schedule.

PAUL RODRIGUEZ CLINCHES FIRST EVER STREET LEAGUE WIN

This weekend Glendale, Arizona’s Jobing.com Arena was packed to the rafters for the third stop of the 2012 Street League DC Pro Tour Fueled by Monster Energy (SLS).  In what may have been the most exciting Street League stop ever, fans witnessed skateboarding’s biggest stars fighting trick for trick to the very end for the $150,000 prize. Fresh off of his win at X Games, Paul Rodriguez came out strong for the win knocking out the winner of the last two stops Nyjah Huston, and walking away with first place and $150,000.

Fans were on the edge of their seats during the last section of the finals as Rodriguez went trick for trick with Chris Cole, Ryan Sheckler and Shane O’Neill. Rodriguez came out on top with an overall Finals score of 45.7. Cole came in a close second with an overall Finals score of 43.1 followed by Ryan Sheckler who rounded out the top three with a 40.5. Cole needed a 9.0 on his final attempt to take the top spot but missed to give Paul the win.

After one of the most intense stops to date, the line up is now official for the Championship in Newark, NJ on August 26. The top eight Pros will compete next month in the winner-takes-all format for $200,000, SLS ring and watch, and a 2012 Chevy Sonic.

“I’ve been dreaming about this one since the League started,” Rodriguez said. “I was fortunate enough this time around to make my mark in the League. I’m so thankful… You can’t stop thinking that you have what it takes to be up there with these guys.”

“Stop Three turned out to be our most exciting contest ever. Nyjah’s winning streak was halted by a shoot-out where P-Rod, Cole, and Sheckler all fought for the top stop to the very end,” said Street League creator Rob Dyrdek. “The stage could not have been set better for these guys and the rest of the Championship contenders on August 26th.”

This year Street League Skateboarding continues to grow, altering the format and adding six new pros. The pros pulled no punches throughout the Stop Three Finals, evolving with the new format, that allowed them to flow throughout the entire course with the new 45-second run section and landing the most difficult tricks in a Big Section format where only four attempts count out of six. Out of the Final’s most notable tricks, it was SLS pro Shane O’Neill who took home the Monster Energy Best Trick Award worth $15,000 for landing the highest scoring trick of the day with a Crooked Grind Nollie Flip to Board Slide for a 9.5.

Collectively the 24 SLS pros voted for Tommy Sandoval to win the Zumiez 24-7 Award worth $7,000. After the Finals, all the skaters had one more shot to skate in the Chevrolet Overdrive for a chance at $10,000.  Billy Marks, Shane O’Neill, Bastien Salabanzi and Ishod Wair all skated solid, but it was Chris Cole who ended up with the prize, doing amazing tricks all over the course including a Crooked Grind Nollie Inward Heel Flip and a Backside 360 Flip.

Street League’s $1.6 million purse is the largest in skateboarding history and almost double the combined winnings for all other skate contests. The SLS tour culminates in a winner-takes-all Championship in Newark, NJ at the Prudential Center on August 26. The SLS Championship will feature the Golden Ticket winners of the first three stops of the 2012 tour along with the remaining top six qualifiers who will compete for $200,000 as well as the title of Street League Champion.

I think its really cool that a lot of these comps seem to be held in places other than New york, LA, or San Francisco.

wow is that 7 now?

his tricks are just so clean

STOP 3 FINALS HILIGHTS

HEAT 1

HEAT 2

HEAT 3

Also, I’ve stickied this thread. Hope that is ok, Boss smile