The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

HEY DAN!!!!!

I just remembered that we were promised some edits from Whistler!!!!!  long face

Ummm… hmmm… yeah about that…  red face

That’s kinda why I started a thread about laptops, my current one doesn’t have enough juice for editing. I’m currently looking into options to salary sacrifice a laptop…

I didn’t think you were allowed to do that anymore???

The salary sacrifice? I had a work mate do it recently. There’s probably lots of different ways to get it done. I don’t really know much about it tbh.

Sounds like Bloody Excuses if you ask me . . .

long face

Dan83 - 22 May 2012 10:03 AM

The salary sacrifice? I had a work mate do it recently. There’s probably lots of different ways to get it done. I don’t really know much about it tbh.

It has to do with the tax setup of the company/organisation that ya work for!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 22 May 2012 10:16 AM

It has to do with the tax setup of the company/organisation that ya work for!!!!!

Really I would have thought investment banking would have been the ‘right’company and we had it and it was taken away. It was something in the budget one year.

My work don’t offer it as a salary sacrifice but actually give our staff (not me :-( ) an allowance to make up for it! if they could give us the tax break back I think they would! Save them having to front up the cash!

ozgirl - 22 May 2012 10:27 AM
Mizu Kuma - 22 May 2012 10:16 AM

Really I would have thought investment banking would have been the ‘right’company and we had it and it was taken away. It was something in the budget one year.

My work don’t offer it as a salary sacrifice but actually give our staff (not me :-( ) an allowance to make up for it! if they could give us the tax break back I think they would! Save them having to front up the cash!

Pretty sure that they adjust their own regulations as to whatever benefits their business in regards to the current tax laws of the time!!!!!

We used to have salary sacrifice at Bluescope too!!!!! Novated Leases for cars is another scheme atm!!!!!

Just did a bit of a google and found that you can only do a salary sacrifice if you use your computer predominately for work purposes. Most companies provide employees with a computer so they would never be able to get around this?

Oh and yeah cars are common.

Previously, FBT-exempt PCs weren’t subject to any formal test of their work role, but that has now changed. Any item purchased as FBT-exempt must be “primarily” for business use, the ATO spokesperson explained. “This type of test is not new. A similar test to determine if mobile/car phones can be considered eligible work related items has been used for FBT purposes for a number of years.”

More detailed guidelines are likely to follow in the near future. “The Tax Office is looking at opportunities to provide further guidance to the community on applying this aspect of the proposed law once it has been enacted,” the spokesperson said.

However, while those guidelines may well end up being more specific, there’s already one clear and inescapable rule: you can’t get more than one machine. If you’ve already got a notebook at work, then there’s no way you’ll be salary sacrifice a second machine for home use and have it exempted from FBT.

http://apcmag.com/did_kevin_rudd_kill_laptop_salary_sacrifice.htm

ozgirl - 22 May 2012 11:02 AM

Just did a bit of a google and found that you can only do a salary sacrifice if you use your computer predominately for work purposes. Most companies provide employees with a computer so they would never be able to get around this?

Bingo, that’s it, 51% of the time…

Only 51%???

Wow

It’s like claiming kilometers on your vehicle for work. You do a few and you don’t have to keep a log book upto 5000kms… So naturally I guesstimate that I did more than 5000 but didn’t keep a log book so I’ll limit myself to claiming 5000km’s on my vehicle.

And if anyone asks, we have an office in Newcastle and thats 200km each way, that’s less than 13 trips over the course of the year.

Yours is easier TJ.

No one will question that - but to get the laptop salary sacrifice you have to get several people (usually your boss and payroll) on board! They usually know if work has supplied you with a laptop!

or you can just buy it outright and then claim it back as a work expense on tax…