The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Stale Sandbech Triple Underflip 1260

Solid.

The tripple underflip 1260 was ok.. but the best part was where he flicks the can into his hand with the board LOL

So Tortstein’s first triple was called a cork 1440 and doesn’t look like he’s spinning much at all and this one is called an underflip when he is corked. So how do you define a rodeo, underflip, backflip, and a cork then?

BS Rodeo is a Backflip with a Backside Spin.
FS Rodeo is a frontflip with frontside spin - Although I have also been under the impression it’s a back flip fs spin in cases… I think a lot of people get it confused, including me.

Backflip is, ...a back flip… with no fs/bs spin
Underflip is a backflip with a fs spin

A cork is a spin off axis. Traditionally it was when you could spin but were never fully inverted, but with the invention of the double and triple this has changed. So I think the best way to describe it is when they are on a sideways axis at 2/3 distinct times depending on how many corks.

Edit: updated Fs rodeo and corrected cork

Something like that, but an underflip is just an old school backflip.
I’ve always thought the whole undeflip thing is weird anyway, cause skating already has underflips and they are something completely different.

Andy Aitken - 22 May 2012 09:27 AM

Something like that, but an underflip is just an old school backflip.
I’ve always thought the whole undeflip thing is weird anyway, cause skating already has underflips and they are something completely different.

yeah it’s one of those few tricks that has a name taken from skating and put to a different trick, however… I don’t know what an underflip is on a skateboard, but does the skateboard basically do a backflip 180? Maybe that’s the name, not sure.

Underflip seems to be a pretty obscure name, and is hard to find resources and descriptions on online. But I’ve always heard a backflip frontside spin by the term underflip.

The skateboard underflip is ‘something like’ hooking your foot under the board and spinning it. You can use it to catch a kickflip and spin it back the other way. U can probably to other stuff with it too. But the skater doesn’t flip at all, just the board.

I’m told the snowboard version is called an underflip because your body flips under the board. Sounds kinda dumb to me, but what ever.
I’ve always just called them old school backflips (ie not wildcats) or laid out backflips.
But what ever it’s called, it’s rad.

Andy Aitken - 22 May 2012 09:43 AM

I’m told the snowboard version is called an underflip because your body flips under the board. Sounds kinda dumb to me, but what ever.
I’ve always just called them old school backflips (ie not wildcats) or laid out backflips.
But what ever it’s called, it’s rad.

That’s still just a backflip. The underflip requires you to complete a fs 180 and ride out switch. (or carry on with more frontside spins)

Crap flip names get confusing. I may be wrong.
OR maybe you can under flip to regular (back flip) or under flip 180.
Not sure… hmmmmmmmm

skip11 - 22 May 2012 07:37 AM

So Tortstein’s first triple was called a cork 1440 and doesn’t look like he’s spinning much at all and this one is called an underflip when he is corked. So how do you define a rodeo, underflip, backflip, and a cork then?

Also, to better help. The “triple” refers to the type of spin/flip and the number is how many rotations where completed in total. 1 backflip accounts for 360 degrees.

Therefore in this case, the 3 backflips he does account for 1080 and the 180 at end makes it a 1260. Calling it “underflip” tells us the spins were frontside and so therefore we call it a triple underflip 1260.

To be honest though, even my mates who’re amazing at freestyle, and who taught me can’t explain it all. And the more I look into it, the more it seems like tricks have gone by two names through out history. (Fs Rodeo and Misty flip seem to have the same descriptions)

@SamNZ: Wait you just said a back flip is just a back flip with no spins but now you said it counts for 360 degrees, confused… When I picture a back flip it’s more like a laid out back flip ala T.Rice in the art of flight park segment, torstein’s triple back flip in the X Games (first one), or Kevin Jones triple back flip in the backcountry in TB20. I think a cork is easier to identify because they’re off axis aka Mark McMorris and Torstein’s triple in the most recent X Games.

skip11 - 22 May 2012 06:03 PM

@SamNZ: Wait you just said a back flip is just a back flip with no spins but now you said it counts for 360 degrees, confused… When I picture a back flip it’s more like a laid out back flip ala T.Rice in the art of flight park segment, torstein’s triple back flip in the X Games (first one), or Kevin Jones triple back flip in the backcountry in TB20. I think a cork is easier to identify because they’re off axis aka Mark McMorris and Torstein’s triple in the most recent X Games.

Yeah, a back flip is ‘just a back flip’ but it is a full 360 circle - you start at one point which is also the point you will finish. Flipping is spinning, you’re spinning on a vertical axis and not a horizontal one. We tend to use the words ‘flip’ and ‘spin’ to describe which axis we’re spinning on. That means we can count 1 back flip, as a full 360 when we add up the total rotations.

There are heaps of ways to back flip: Wildcat (when the board stays pointing down the hill during the flip), layback (kind of what a bs rodeo uses - where you back flip with your back down the hill), what we call a ‘back flip’ (which means you turn 90 and 90 back), a super man back flip (when the body is opened up almost star fish in the air), and also what we call a barrel roll.

Andy and I were actually talking about it yesterday after this thread, where when you watch Torstien’s triple cork, you can actually notice a spinning rotation a lot more than the flipping during Stale’s triple under flip. Torstien only does 180 more than Stale. It would be interesting to see another triple under flip with more frontside rotations to compare.

Also, I’m pretty sure I have my axis of rotation confused teacherboy. I think it should be: Flipping = horizontal. Spinning = Vertical. So just switch it when I use those words… I guess.

I think it’s the other way around????? Pretty sure ya first description is correct!!!!!

Oh don’t do that to me. I’m far too confused already!

I had just spent time thinking about it, I thought seeing as you could shove a vertical skewer through your head and you’d be spinning around it, you’re spinning on a vertical axis? And you’re rotating around the horizontal when you’re flipping??

I don’t know… I guess it doesn’t really matter…