The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How busy is opening wknd and first school hols???

ozgirl - 15 May 2012 05:19 AM

I have never noticed more than FF open in Thredbo on the Long weekend. Merrits at a pinch. Last year with good snow only FV and to Mid station was opened at Perisher. And only Goats Gully.

As for the first weekend - it is not so bad. A lot of people don’t rush their kids out of school and up the mountain (cause you would have to arrive on the Friday night) more like arriving on that Sunday. How long are you going for? the wkend or a week?

Oh crap, I assumed more would be open first wknd. There’s no way I’m driving 7hrs for Friday Flats!!! I’m keen but not that keen.

That’s good to know about the first wknd of hols. I would go for either Fri and Sat or Sat and Sun. I’d assume come holiday time at least the main runs will definitely be open, even if it’s just man made snow. They wouldn’t want to miss the holiday crowds.

But by the sounds of how little is potentially open in June i will have to play it all by ear a bit.

Yeah I would play it by ear for long weekend.

Re June dates - where would you stay? Most places in Thredbo have the change over days of Fri and Sun only. So you will have to take that into acct.

If you wanted to stay in Jindy I can ask ma and pa if the will let you have thur/fri nights? Hoping that someone else will arrive on the Saturday for the week (the first week is not booked but the following from Sunday is already booked out for two weeks).

Even if there is snow, Thredbo only open FF on Fri/Sat, Sunday-Merrits and Mon-Highnoon. This is too prevent wear and tear with little to no base (they want to have the groomers pack-down a base and push snow around for the same reason). Given this you don’t often have many peeps on the Hill, it is mainly locals with their kids having a fun social day.

Taking your board on a b/c mission is the pick for hardcore peeps on a mission to ride.

I have never been to the music festival. Heard a lot about the crowds on FV. Even when I did seasons in P, FV would be crowded.

Monday is the best day for riding.

Thredbo is Thredbo and the social scene on opening weekend is great.

As for July holidays;
There are chances of Thredbo ticket office shutting down and not selling tickets because the mountain is too crowded. You can’t get a carpark, lots of underage drinking, kids on bikes, half of Supertrail closed for racing. Good time to get drunk every night and sleep all day (or feed the ducks)

ozgirl - 15 May 2012 07:20 AM
chucky - 15 May 2012 07:09 AM
Dan83 - 15 May 2012 04:00 AM

I probably will go opening weekend to Thredbo, but not really sure how much of the mountain they would have open. I’m assuming they would have the cruiser area, high noon and supertrail open. Anyone know?

I’ve been to Thredbo in late June and played golf. The only lifts open were for sightseeing.

I have been to the shred in mid sept and gone fishing LOL

LOL