The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How busy is opening wknd and first school hols???

Was wondering if people have found opening weekend (9/6) and the first school holidays (starting 30/6) in July fairly busy or not? Specifically for Thredbo (spaz, you would know best).

Schools Holidays (the july ones) are the busiest time of the season, In the 15yrs my parents have had their holiday rental they have never had it empty. But a lot of the time in August it has been empty.

ozgirl - 14 May 2012 11:39 AM

Schools Holidays (the july ones) are the busiest time of the season, In the 15yrs my parents have had their holiday rental they have never had it empty. But a lot of the time in August it has been empty.

how much for a weekend when in august or general rates?

Opening weekend is generally pretty empty unless it pukes the week before… and even still, they don’t open much more than front and happy valley.

for august?

Opening weekend can be pretty busy because of the snowy mountains of music festival.

If Front Valley is the only thing open it can be a bit hectic, but still a good weekend out of there is some snow grin

He was asking for Thredbo not PB! LOL

What sort of busy were you thinking? On snow busy? or around the place in bars etc?

School holidays, you know the answer already.
Opening weekend is very dependant on snow falls (if any) i have found

I have never been to Thredbo opening weekend cause there is usually no snow and nothing going on! Oops sorry!

Bliz!! I am shocked!

There is lots going on… the biggest thing you must go for is the blessing of the snow ceremony!! We need mother nature on our side!

Or another idea - especially at Thredbo is to “feed the ducks” - eh Spaz??

Yeah I was referring to how busy it is on the mountain/lift lines etc.

I probably will go opening weekend to Thredbo, but not really sure how much of the mountain they would have open. I’m assuming they would have the cruiser area, high noon and supertrail open. Anyone know (spaz)?

For the hols, yes I want to avoid them at all cost, but it’s my brothers birthday on 30 June (the day the hols start), and I wanted to take him up for his first time snowboarding. Maybe the week before would be better if the crowds are that bad.

I have never noticed more than FF open in Thredbo on the Long weekend. Merrits at a pinch. Last year with good snow only FV and to Mid station was opened at Perisher. And only Goats Gully.

As for the first weekend - it is not so bad. A lot of people don’t rush their kids out of school and up the mountain (cause you would have to arrive on the Friday night) more like arriving on that Sunday. How long are you going for? the wkend or a week?

Opening weekend last year Front Valley was pretty busy but there was still room to move grin

Dan83 - 15 May 2012 04:00 AM

I probably will go opening weekend to Thredbo, but not really sure how much of the mountain they would have open. I’m assuming they would have the cruiser area, high noon and supertrail open. Anyone know?

I’ve been to Thredbo in late June and played golf. The only lifts open were for sightseeing.

chucky - 15 May 2012 07:09 AM
Dan83 - 15 May 2012 04:00 AM

I probably will go opening weekend to Thredbo, but not really sure how much of the mountain they would have open. I’m assuming they would have the cruiser area, high noon and supertrail open. Anyone know?

I’ve been to Thredbo in late June and played golf. The only lifts open were for sightseeing.

I have been to the shred in mid sept and gone fishing LOL