The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Should I buy a MAC or PC laptop…

So after reading all 3 pages of this thread, no one has even asked Dan what he is actually going to use his computer for.. rolleyes Generally a good step for recommending someone a product.

SamNZ - 13 May 2012 06:27 AM
spaz - 13 May 2012 03:41 AM

How cute! A little baby Mac Pro wink
Wait till you grow it up! I know of peeps running 32GB memory

Haha, oh yeah? I’ve seen 200gb systems wink

Most people don’t need over 4gb either. What are they doing? playing games and editing videos at the same time?

We bought a computer for my old work that had 96gb ram for GIS mapping.

I remember talking about that Tj and the price was ???

HD video editing with a few complex titles and transitions, left rendering. While rush editing the next job, while a DVD burns, while another uploads.
^3 pro programs running + 1 basic.

Often while recording a TV show (or 2), browser and email - all on 1080i screen.

Is enough to have it’s little fan working hard to stay cool. I often am working at +95%.
This session is at 3.93GB with no video programs open. 1.66GB active.

Most people want to edit video while running email and browsing, have access to their music and photo library at the same time. You may underestimate what most people use their computers for. Those that know computers know you shouldn’t overtask them but most people don’t know computers. They just want them to work.

Koper - 13 May 2012 06:55 AM

So after reading all 3 pages of this thread, no one has even asked Dan what he is actually going to use his computer for.. rolleyes Generally a good step for recommending someone a product.

His first post said a bit. Based on what he previously owned and a brief summation of his main desire (for it to last).

I would think many peeps have actually offered pro’s and con’s for both but not a straight up recommend. Dan has not posted since throwing burley in the water. He didn’t even need a hook on this fishing trip.

Mudhoney - 13 May 2012 04:30 AM

It might be worth mentioning that Intel has only just released its newest CPUs and associated chipset.  I would not buy right now until you can be sure you are getting a PC or Mac that has the new chips (called Ivy Bridge, old one was Sandy Bridge).  It is expected that “ultrabooks” (small form factor laptops) will be cheaper than the previous generation, and there are some rumours that Apple’s forthcoming new laptops may follow suit.  I understand the new Mac laptops are expected around June.  HP has already announced their new Ivy Bridge based ultrabooks, others will soon follow.

Most important advice in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac are well overdue for some big news. Everyone thinks it’s the iPhone5 but in true apple fashion it will be something unexpected.

Apple Macintosh Vs Everyone else (mostly International Business Machines - IBM who are/were in bed with Microsoft)
Mac Vs PC is much easier.

This isn’t even a good question. PC over Mac any day.

static_22 - 13 May 2012 07:54 AM

PC over Mac any day.

Absolutely! Well, for some, anyway.

Anyone who prefers cheapness to quality just won’t appreciate the benefits of a Mac. They’re definitely not for everyone, and there’s a reason they’re looked upon with irrational envy by many people - they simply don’t understand.

i haven’t seen anyone looking upon a macbook with envy… i have seen love, hate but no envy whatsoever…

I’d buy a mac, if they were closer in price, had their close / minimise buttons on the right and called their programs what they do.

Why should music editing software be called garageband

And I’m pretty sure the options are not called settings but are something stupid instead.

“Preferences”

I never use the close/minimise buttons because there are other options to do that, like keyboard shortcuts or voice command or double click (mouse) double tap (trackpad) or on trackpad there are swipe gestures to do those jobs…. oh swipe gesture. Mac finger gestures all over pc.

The history of computing makes Microsoft the computer equivalent of Hitler. Very apt since IBM developed the personal computer after processing Hitler’s death camps - the only non German business allowed to operate in Germany. Basically Hitler employed IBM processing power and machines, financing them to develop automated counting. It seems his tyrannical regimes lasted within the company until Microsoft stole, belittled and did what they could to destroy Apple.
Apple instead of getting angry, saw what Microsoft were doing to send computing backward for the consumer. They went away and started from scratch changing consumer computer experience over and over again. And PC had to follow in their wake.

Koper - 13 May 2012 06:55 AM

No no no no no, that’s not how we roll here, mate.  It’s much more fun to make him listen to our waffle and start fanboi wars!

3 things that will always,ALWAYS turn into a flame war.

-Religion
-Politics
-Mac vs Windows

Want to start WW3?

Start a poll asking;

What would be better?
Mitt Romney using a macbook pro to spruik his christian/anti gay views OR Obama using his windows laptop to spread his word of supporting gay marriage.

option B of course! and for the record - windows all the way.

People often say that mac is so easy to use and admittedly I’m no stephen Hawking but whenever I sit in front of one I can’t do ANYTHING I want to do on it. I still haven’t figured out how the frig you right click?? If it was that simple and user-friendly, surely I’d be able to figure it out straight away?

cords - 13 May 2012 10:49 AM

option B of course! and for the record - windows all the way.

People often say that mac is so easy to use and admittedly I’m no stephen Hawking but whenever I sit in front of one I can’t do ANYTHING I want to do on it. I still haven’t figured out how the frig you right click?? If it was that simple and user-friendly, surely I’d be able to figure it out straight away?

Steve didn’t like the 2-button mouse.

I’m like you, I grew up with Windows and for the most part it is more intuitive to me.  If you’re stuck with the Mac, those little training videos they have on their site are pretty good to get you up and going.

spaz - 13 May 2012 08:56 AM

Most people want to edit video while running email and browsing, have access to their music and photo library at the same time. You may underestimate what most people use their computers for. Those that know computers know you shouldn’t overtask them but most people don’t know computers. They just want them to work.

When I say most people I mean, you know, most people. Right? As in, over 60% of use their computers for not a lot more than browsing the web, watching videos and gaming. Maybe a little bit of picture or video editing, but probably not enough to be needing more than 4gb of RAM worth. The other 40% can be split up into many categories. Let’s not go there.
But you’re right, a lot of people don’t know about RAM and probably over task them with no need. But that doesn’t mean they need more. They just need to stop being such a hoarder and close programs when they want to use another more intensive one. That being said, with 4GB of Ram I have never maxed mine out. Right now I have 21 tabs open firefox, Photoshop, iTunes playing, various other amounts of programs and just to prove a point, I launched a modern game, played for awhile and it still didn’t max my RAM.

spaz - 13 May 2012 08:56 AM

The history of computing makes Microsoft the computer equivalent of Hitler.

If you’re going to call anyone in the computer industry “Hitler”, let it be Steve Jobs. Alone.

Both Companies have been “guilty” of stealing ideas. Neither are the equivalent of Hitler. Both have had lawsuits filed against them for theft, none of which stood up in court. Apple has appalling stigma surrounding the conditions of their workers. Pretty sure there is a thread somewhere else here which includes people talking about how Apple steal app ideas for the iPhone from Android? It’s also been suggested they steal ideas from people submitting new apps and telling them they already had plans for development.

Also;

I have “swipe gestures” on my PC. And as far as I’m aware they are just as good as any Mac gestures… Not that I ever need to use them, as everything I need is no more than two clicks away. Or one click and one word.

Trying to say a Mac/PC can do something the other can’t doesn’t work these days (except for games). The difference is that one or the other does one thing better. What seems to have come out of this thread is that PC’s perform better all round, for cheaper. And Mac’s have a “premium interface”. And for some reason people think a Mac’s hardware is better? not true. Yeah you’ll get what you pay for, buy a cheap PC, and you’ll end up with one that isn’t the same. PC’s and Mac’s virtually use the same hardware. Even the bits they don’t, PC’s have hardware that is of equal quality, and still cheaper. It’s cheaper not because it’s not as good, but because it is more readily available. Supply and demand, right?

Alienware by Dell, is a good example of a line that uses good quality hardware, and even then they are also considered overpriced. Comparing the Mac and Alienware, you still come out better off with the PC for the same price.

Macbook Pro 15 inch $2,499
Intel Core i7 - 2.4GHz quad-core
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5

Alienware M17x 17.3” $2,499
i7-3610QM Processor 2.3GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 4GB)
1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive (500GBx2)
2GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M
Blu-ray BD-ROM / DVD + /-RW
9-cell Primary Battery

More? If your Mac does fail, and they do, you’re likely to be stung with a huge bill. Apple are notorious for placing all blame on the user. Remember when jobs just said people were holding the iPhone wrong when there was an issue with signal? My friend had a Mac that broke, they wanted to charge him more than he paid for it to have it fixed. It was still on warranty as well.

This could go back and forth with forever, really. Fact is, PC’s are cheaper and more functional (due to better gaming support and program availability without using a virtualbox - no arguments about that, right?). It will do whatever job you want a Mac to do.
At the end of the day it comes down to what you want out of it, want to have a flashing looking machine and don’t need to do anything other than use programs “straight out of the box”? Mac. Want more value for performance, more customization and overall compatibility from your rig? PC.

There are just as many stories of people switching to Mac as there are for people switching to Windows. If price isn’t a problem, go play with each one in store and find the one that works for you.