The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Hell Yeah! (best day of the season!) [gopro2]

spaz - 02 April 2012 03:36 AM
Dan83 - 31 March 2012 12:12 AM

Epic lines man. Very cool edit. I wonder why vimeo drops the video quality? I’m filming in 960P also, the way to go IMO, especially for helmet cam.

Try using Mpegstreamclip to re-compress your vid to the standard Vimeo recommends.
http://www.squared5.com/

Doesn’t that resolution work with vimeo Spaz or is that a suggestion to not drop video quality?

Vimeo says to upload your source video setting, they will then do the compression but… this can lead to long upload times and poor viewer experience or worse a failed upload.

Vimeo uses;
Resolution: 1080 or 720 (HD). 480 or 360 (SD)
Codec: H.264 (MP4)
Frame Rate (fps): 24, 25, 30
Data rate: 5000kbps or 2000kbps
Aspect ratio: 1:1 (square pixels)

Audio;
Codec: AAC
Data rate: 300kbps
Sample rate: 44.1kHz

My suggestion is;
Codec: H.264
FPS: 24
Resolution: 720
Data Rate: 2000
De-interlaced
(480 with 5000kbps also works well)
Audio you can drop back a setting from recommended but I usually don’t when music is used.

With doing the compression yourself at least you can see exactly what you’ll get before uploading.

As far as resolution goes; even 960 is overkill.
In Australia, broadcast High Definition is minimum 580 (Same as PAL 720X580) Most HD broadcast here is 720p, very rarely will anything be broadcast at 1080.
The best DVDvideo quality is 580.

Depending on your camera; lowering the fps gives the processor (in camera) more chance of not dropping data, same goes for resolution. This is why 60fps is at a lower resolution (so it can be processed) and why the quality of your SD card is important.
It usually changes the aspect ratio.

1080 results in less camera shake because more of the scene is getting to the sensor. This is why it is the preferred resolution for headcams - it makes them look like they have stabilisers when instead it’s just wide angle reducing the effect.

Thanks for all the info Spaz. I have to admit a lot of it goes way over my head. I will come back to it when I’m at the stage of uploading to vimeo.

Regarding your last comment about 1080, I was of the understanding that 960 is just as wide only it is also taller. As a result I’ve noticed that with 960 everything looks even smaller than normal for a gopro/fish eye lens.

spaz - 02 April 2012 10:57 PM

Vimeo says to upload your source video setting, they will then do the compression but… this can lead to long upload times and poor viewer experience or worse a failed upload.

Vimeo uses;
Resolution: 1080 or 720 (HD). 480 or 360 (SD)
Codec: H.264 (MP4)
Frame Rate (fps): 24, 25, 30
Data rate: 5000kbps or 2000kbps
Aspect ratio: 1:1 (square pixels)

Audio;
Codec: AAC
Data rate: 300kbps
Sample rate: 44.1kHz

My suggestion is;
Codec: H.264
FPS: 24
Resolution: 720
Data Rate: 2000
De-interlaced
(480 with 5000kbps also works well)
Audio you can drop back a setting from recommended but I usually don’t when music is used.

With doing the compression yourself at least you can see exactly what you’ll get before uploading.

just finished a new edit last night. Will render it with your settings tonight after work.

Dan83 - 03 April 2012 01:10 AM

Thanks for all the info Spaz. I have to admit a lot of it goes way over my head. I will come back to it when I’m at the stage of uploading to vimeo.

Regarding your last comment about 1080, I was of the understanding that 960 is just as wide only it is also taller. As a result I’ve noticed that with 960 everything looks even smaller than normal for a gopro/fish eye lens.

Depends on the ratio. The number everything refers to is only horizontal lines.
1080 can have a width of 1440 or 1920 (vertical) or anything really as long as the horizontal is 1080.
960 is not a standard used outside of GoPro. It is not taller as there are less horizontal lines (120 less)

The common sizes are;
720X480 (ntsc) SD
720X576 (pal) What 90% of what is broadcast in Australia and often called HD here (though not by international standards)
960X720 internationally recognised as HD
1280X720
1440X1080 Often called “Full HD”
1920X1080

Ratio’s commonly used are 16:9 and 4:3
16:9 is referred to as stretched or widescreen
4:3 is recognised as “square pixel” though many cameras these days use 1440X1080 (16:9) and are square pixel, stretching them results in 1920X1080.
So 1920X1080 is stretched HD and not a true representation of the image.

I’m sure this will only add to peoples confusion so I wont go on unless asked.

Can’t wait Gamblor!

1)why do you suggest a 2000 data rate instead of 5000?

2)the 960 mode on the gopro 2 has a frame rate of 45 if I remember correctly. You still suggest 24fps?

1/ With a lower data rate your video will have a smaller file size and load much faster (both when uploading and viewing). 2000kbps only if your video is huge / you have slow connection / know your potential viewers have a slow connection. I always reduce my data to 4000kbps no matter. 5000 is overkill (IMO) Exported at 2000kbps looks fine on my 50” screen. On Vimeo it’s this that determine SD or HD not it’s resolution.

2/ yeah! 24 & 25fps are the only speed Vimeo and yt work with. Change before uploading.

thanks dude. 10 more minutes before the first one gets up. I made 2, one at variable speed 5000,000 with high of 8,000,000 and one with the average at 2,000,000 with a high of 4,000,000.
I couldn’t find anywhere to change the resolution so I just assumed it was the size and put them both at 720x480

started them both at same time. 2000 started instantly and played through without hesitation. fist one started 15sec after, loaded 1min slower and hesitated twice during playback.
both looked the same but quality seemed low.

my wifi connection varies.

What edit program do you use, do you have mpegstreamclip.

your first upload was probably converted to 5000 by vimeo.

Best option is to export from your software at the settings you edited in. Then do the conversion with a program like mpegstreamclip. Then upload.
This way you will have an original file at it’s best and can delete anything created from it. Yoy can then also clean your system of render files etc, freeing up memory.

At 480 there will be little difference. I’ve notice most your vids suffer pixelation. 480 is the reason why. 720 with those data rates would be much better and highly suggested, I would prefer your vids at better quality, please.

Wow that is the shit dreams are made of! So much untouched pow. Love the edit! Higher quality would be nice though.

what do you mean by 480 Spaz? I will try to set my project settings to hdv720 (24fps) next. vimeo isn’t letting me upload anymore til sunday. If I delete something maybe it will let me?

Dan! don’t watch the vid yet (unwatch it so you can watch it with the proper settings)

edit: found a how to video on vimeo for vegas pro 9 that I’m using. Turns out I was using the wrong codec. Rendering now!