The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

ALASKA 2012 - Travel Journal

AK = Epic. It’s definitely on my list.
Cool journal mate shaka

Cheers everyone.

Didn’t get any photos of the northern lights. They were pretty weak due to it being late in the season. Not like the ones you see in photos.

loved the photos man they look unreal especially the one in post 2 i think at the end. the road photo ..

Thanks dude. Did a lot of Instagramming over there ha ha

Awesome! Great shots too! smile

Thanks Tom way to make it even harder to choose where to go to next.

How much are flights roughly from Vancouver to Alaska in the winter? Could you recommend which month would be the best to head up there?

jowow11 - 24 April 2012 09:10 PM

Thanks Tom way to make it even harder to choose where to go to next.

How much are flights roughly from Vancouver to Alaska in the winter? Could you recommend which month would be the best to head up there?

I paid around $800 for a return flight from Van to Anchorage. I did only book 2 weeks in advance so it may be cheaper if you book earlier. Alaska Air were the only ones who flew to Anchorage that I could find. There are no direct flights so you will have a stop over in Seattle. Overall the whole trip was about 6hrs.

Deciding when to go to Alaska is easy. If you are going there for heli-boarding, there is only a 6-8 week period around March/April that they fly, April being the best time I’ve been told. Might be worth confirming this as my mate did all the booking, but this is what he told me.

epic details! so much info and nice pics to go with it!

wish i could go one day

Tom I just realised that you were the guy who asked us if you should do it (and therefore sacrifice some on snow time!)

So I take it that it was worth it?

ozgirl - 25 April 2012 12:41 AM

Tom I just realised that you were the guy who asked us if you should do it (and therefore sacrifice some on snow time!)

So I take it that it was worth it?

Yep. Well worth it. Needed a few rest days anyway after all the boarding I did in Canada.

Tom - Love the blog man, sounds like u had an amazing trip in AK, thinkin thats where the next savings are gonna be going towards. Thanks for the stoke!

really nice write up!

Ok everyone, as promised, here is the edit I made of my time heliboarding in AK.  Enjoy.

Wow amazing editing skills mate very impressive.

that was so sick. Was glued to it the whole time. looks so fun!