The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Pre Japan 2012/13 Season plan!!!!!

cool cool thanks for all the info i so stoked soon will be there

Sooooo - I had a really awesome trip and the first half of it was due to Hokkaido Tracks. They really looked after us. Great 3 bed western style apartments which i think would be perfect for the the Japan Shred. I mentioned the trip to the owner and our ‘tour guide’ when they took a couple of us out to dinner. I have a business card and would be willing to reach out and contact them if you guys are keen.

A great thing about the apartments is that the 3 bedders are really two apartments which share a laundry and enter foyer. So I think a lot of discounts could still be had if not everyone stayed the exact same night.

Anyway just a thought - I wont be going to the Japan shred as depending on work I will either go to US/Canada next winter or go with the same crew to Austria.

Sounds good, oz!!!!!

All the deals that we can get a look at helps out the cause!!!!!  shaka

We got any proposed dates yet?

** crosses fingers for January **

Warren, fatima and I are gonna have a pow wow soon!!!!!

Prob just drink beers and annoy the shit out of each other mostly, but we might discuss some dates/places?????

Excellent! Keep us teachers in mind!!

Yeah I’ve started looking into my Japan 13 plans as well. I’ll be doing early/mid January. Going to do Niseko this time with a stopover in Tokyo.

Got this email from liquidsnowtours last night which might give you some ideas on pricing.

GET KNEE DEEP IN THESE EARLY BIRD SKI 7, PAY 5 NISEKO PACKAGES!

Hey Snowlover! Looking for Amazing Early Bird Niseko Packages?

All Niseko Packages include: - 7 nights accommodation - 7 day Niseko United lift pass – valid at 4 resorts - Return Sapporo Chitose airport transfers

Owashi Lodge powder package – ski 7, pay 5

Includes domestic return flights, staying in 2 Person dorm $1145pp - Book before

Call 1300 4 LIQUID or view online

M Lodge premium package –save 20% on accommodation, ski 7, pay 5

Western or Japanese twin/double room $1195pp* - Book before June 30 *based on twin share

Youtei Tracks self contained package –save 30% on accommodation, ski 7 pay 5

Studio apartment $1295pp* - Book before May 31. Save a further $100pp for bookings in December or March. *Based on twin share

Niseko Landmark View deluxe package –save 25% on accommodation, ski 7 pay 5

2 bedroom apartments $1495pp* - book before June 30 *Based on 4 person share

the more i think about it, the more sense it makes to go to Japan in late feb rather then go to Miami/NY/Vegas…

Why cant i be rich?

For all those that went to Japan last year (TJ, DRC, Billy etc), did you find package deals were cheapest if booked early? Usually that’s the cheapest way to travel but I remember lots of deals popping up during the season. I think they were so desperate to get tourists to Japan.

Dan83 - 19 April 2012 10:44 PM

For all those that went to Japan last year (TJ, DRC, Billy etc), did you find package deals were cheapest if booked early? Usually that’s the cheapest way to travel but I remember lots of deals popping up during the season. I think they were so desperate to get tourists to Japan.

dan to be honest no, maybe with accommodation and tickets yes but with flights no.

i paid for my flights 3 months in advance and paid 1250 i think it was with 15kg extra. but the same flights 3 weeks before i fly out i could have same flight form almost 900 with including extra 15kg,

so i dunno any more but some how i don’t think its always best to book the flights in advance.

Dan83 - 19 April 2012 10:44 PM

I didn’t really book through an agent/package deal and went more of DIY method booking backpackers etc. Having said that I was keeping my eye on packages and they seemed to adjust more based on the exchange rate and flight availability than anything else. With the general turn down in tourism things weren’t getting booked out too quickly so there wasn’t that rush to book (I did notice Niseko seemed to have less available options than Hakuba when I was looking though)

Where I noticed the big difference and where I didn’t do too well out of it was the flight prices. I missed the sales early in the year with Qantas and JAL (which I’m keeping an eye out for this year) and every Jetstar sale skipped travel in January (until the final last minute sale in January) so I pretty much paid full price for flights.

With accommodation/lift tickets generally being pretty cheap in Japan I think the flights are where you can make your savings.

As much as I would love to go back, I doubt it is a possibility for 2013.

Flights got cheaper as you got closer to the dates.

Accom didn’t change. But I didn’t really think too much about it.

If you guys are all going for a “Shred” type trip, I’d definitely look at apartments over tours like liquid. They really didn’t do much for us (apart from being english speaking and having good staff but I’m sure we paid a premium for that.

My 2cents on Flights…

I booked and paid for my flights in Mid November (ie i got my monthly pay on the 15th) for an end of Feb departure. I got a $998 rtn fare with Qantas. I thought i was going to miss out on a fare that cheap and was freaking out.

The other thing with flying Qantas is that you can access the JAL Visit Japan domestic fares. You must book this with a Travel Agent in conjunction with your International flight. So don’t book online! And I had to push and hunt to find a travel agent who knew what I was talking about. each sector/leg is 10,000 yen. http://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/. So the return flight Narita to Sapporo was $350 (give or take)

I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get this fare using Jetpoo - so sometimes when you add in the domestic legs in Japan your Jetpoo cheap flight doesn’t look that cheap.

On Accom I agree with TJ and think you guys should look at serviced apartments. Our first week we stayed at Hokkiado Tracks (and so did Clax I think) and could not fault them. I have a business card from one of the guys and had told them about the Shred. I am happy to email him for you guys and see what he can offer

Yeah I’d be pretty stoked if I could get a Qantas flight for that price for January.

An apartment would be great and I’d definitely be interested in pricing but it’s going to come down to whether the others are travelling in January or not.

If not something like the $1145 owashi lodge deal seems ok as it includes the domestic flights and transfers so it would work out to be around $800 for 7 nights + 7day lift tickets. I don’t mind basic accommodation but I’m not going to room with randoms again as I didn’t like that at all last time.

For the Niseko veterans here is it simple enough to tag a Tokyo stopover in after the snow? I’m presuming it’s pretty simple as long as the domestic flights aren’t locked into the same departure date as the international flight.

I still have lots to look into though as it’s only early days.

Still probably not worth looking until after the Perisher shred imo. Now is too early and there is no deals.

Once we get to those sort of dates, I’ll hit up my brother’s GF who is a travel agent and see what sort of deals they can pull for people. And if you guys get a heap of people all booking through the 1 agency, I’m sure they would be more than happy to get deals going smile