The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

MOV file editing problems

Hi Guys…I don’t know how many people use Vegas on here but its worth a shot asking just in case someone knows a easy fix.
I have heard that this issue is common on PCs when people try to use Canon MOV files on most editing platforms, so maybe what works on one will work on vegas.

I have used sony vegas 7 for some time and recently upgraded to Vegas Movie studio platinum 10 and also bought a Canon 600D that records as HD/.MOV files.

Previously I only edited Gopro footage and standard definition footage from an old video camera and there is no problem editing these together on a timeline.
Now I have Gopro footage shot in 1280x960 30 frames per second and some 1280x720 @60frames per second (MP4s) as well as footage from the Canon which is 1920x1088 (.MOV).

Being fairly clueless I just threw them all onto a timeline and started editing, this worked for sometime with no problem, however now the the program crashes whenever any timelines with the three types of files on them are opened (....ie the program seems to handle a small number of files but when it starts to get up to around 30 mixed files on the timeline it cant handle it).

does anyone have any ideas to get around this?
Should I just convert the .MOV files into MP4? will that fix the problem? Is there much quality loss when doing this?
Does anyone know a good converting program that is free?
Should I pre render the MOV files using vegas and then drop them into the project as MP4s?

cheers

Have no experience with Vegas, plenty with canon-they don’t like mac! So that helps you none.

Best idea is what you have - ie: convert all files to the same type (this is what iMovie does - apple’s bottom end edit program).
BTW apple invented and developed digital video (.mov files)

What you need is Mpegstreamclip to convert your files, the sticky thread in this forum has a guide I wrote up on using it.
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1240/

MPEGstreamclip http://www.squared5.com

thanks Spaz…i found another program and have been using it to convert to WMV files. Ill read your guide and then take a look at MPEGstreamclip as well!

What you using.

spaz - 15 April 2012 09:52 PM

What you using.

Freemake video converter…..it seems to work ok but i haven’t finished rendering any footage that ive converted and then had a look at the final product.

All this codec stuff is confusing! enough to make the average punter despair! haha

CRACKERS - 16 April 2012 01:42 AM

What you using.

Freemake video converter…..it seems to work ok but i haven’t finished rendering any footage that ive converted and then had a look at the final product.

All this codec stuff is confusing! enough to make the average punter despair! haha

Hahaha, I just mentioned CODEC’s in the other thread!!!!!

God, I don’t miss havin a PC one bit!!!!!

And the reason why video editors will be around for a while yet.

Mizu Kuma - 16 April 2012 02:35 AM
CRACKERS - 16 April 2012 01:42 AM

What you using.

Hahaha, I just mentioned CODEC’s in the other thread!!!!!

God, I don’t miss havin a PC one bit!!!!!

As far as I know, the guy that I live with (who works as a camera man and also has a video production company) uses a mac and still has to convert files that come off some of his cameras. He isn’t at home this week so I haven’t been able to ask him if he knows some quick fixes for me. Spazs thread is quite helpful though so I might not need him.

spaz - 16 April 2012 03:16 AM

And the reason why video editors will be around for a while yet.

I think they always will be…people don’t have the time and/or the technical nous to do some of the harder things so will always need someone to edit for them.

my brother in law posted up this show reel recently, you guys might like to take a look. I thought it was pretty good.

Pretty sure my version of iMovie converts the file when it imports from the camera?????

I’ve used 5 different sources from phones to p&s to GoPro to DSLR to my ancient CamCorder to DVD, and never had a problem yet!!!!!

Mind you I guess that iMovie is seen as very basic in the Professional World of Video Editing, so depends on what software program ya mate is usin!!!!!

Nice Showreel!!!!!

What Software did he use????? Love the 3D Fonts!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 16 April 2012 03:33 AM

Nice Showreel!!!!!

What Software did he use????? Love the 3D Fonts!!!!!

After effects, Twixtor, Camera tracker, Cinema 4d

Yep, iMovie does do all that but at a compromise. Not that the compromise is noticeable to online users.

My videos off my Canon camera have no trouble being edited on After Effects on my Mac. They didn’t have any trouble being edited in Sony Vegas 10 on my PC either. Maybe I’m special. smile

You can try convert them using “Youtube Downloader” its what I use to convert all my video files.

Damn that showreel is sick!!! The 3D fonts look so good!

BKM - 16 April 2012 10:00 PM

My videos off my Canon camera have no trouble being edited on After Effects on my Mac. They didn’t have any trouble being edited in Sony Vegas 10 on my PC either. Maybe I’m special. smile

You can try convert them using “Youtube Downloader” its what I use to convert all my video files.

Damn that showreel is sick!!! The 3D fonts look so good!

They work fine if there are only MOV files on the timeline, its just when they are mixed in with other formats. I am sure you are special though wink. hahah

Yeh I wan’t him to make me some logos/intros, he has two young kids though and its pretty busy so I haven’t asked him yet.

Yeah, “youtube downloader” is the only software that I have downloaded to date (bar some widgets and shit), but I have only used it to pilfer youtube footage so far!!!!! I didnt even realize I could use it to convert files!!!!! teacherboy

It is an easy to use, smooth runnin program though!!!!! Maybe worth a try, CRACKERS!!!!!