The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

When I was a kid…

$1 Drinks!!!!

w00t!!!

I was there…. cheese

all you ever wanted was the future to hurry up so we would have HOVER BOARDS like in a certain movie where a flux capacitor and stainless steel skinned automobile went first back in time and then forward in time…..IM STILL WAITING SCIENTISTS!!!!!!

Rollerblading was cool.

rider26 - 12 April 2012 05:33 PM

Petrol was well under $1.

Nippers was my favourite thing in the world.

I put lots of gel in my hair.

I had a Commodore 64 computer.

We played cricket in the street.

Ninja Turtles were the bomb!

I had an awesome collection of ‘Masters of the Universe’ toys.

(I realise not all of these changed for the worse. It’s just different now. Sorry, I should have read the thread fully before typing. red face)

1 - Petrol was under 30 cents

2 - I hated Nippers on the first day, so never went back

3 - I had hair, and yes I did use gel

4 - I had an ex bank IBM 186

5 - We played cricket, footy, rode bmx, skateys and motorbikes in the street

6 - Ninja Turtles lived in the local creek

7 - I had a Boba Fett that would wipe the floor with the Masters of The Universe dolls

AJ2theC - 13 April 2012 12:05 AM

Rollerblading was cool.

Rollerblading was for the rich kids!!!!!

Dan83 - 12 April 2012 10:47 PM

I second the ninja turtles, they were my fave thing ever when the first movie came out!

...When a 30c cone at Maccas was only 30c…

I specifically remember the day they changed it.
I was in NZ on an Acedemy of Sport rugby union tour, i asked for a 30c cone. got it and handed over 30c and she goes “thats another 20c please”

Unless cones were always 50c in NZ…

Caboose - 12 April 2012 11:44 PM

$1 Drinks!!!!

w00t!!!

Go to the Monte Bleu’ at South Lake Tahoe on Tuesday nights and its still $1 drinks rocker

I would sit and wait for my favourite song to come on the weekly top 40 and hit record on the cassette player as fast as possible!

Double Dare was the best show on TV.

An icy pole was 30c not $1.50!

the local toy shop sold 1c and 2c lollies.

a pack of league footy cards was 40c with a free stimorol chewy in it (which I hated!)

and the biggest thing: as kids we didn’t need our parents to entertain us all the time. Saying “go off and play” was perfectly legitimate and that is what we did…when you complained of boredom the reply was “only boring people get bored”, so you’d go off and find something fun to do!

cords - 13 April 2012 12:47 AM

I would sit and wait for my favourite song to come on the weekly top 40 and hit record on the cassette player as fast as possible!

Mixed Tapes!!!

and the biggest thing: as kids we didn’t need our parents to entertain us all the time. Saying “go off and play” was perfectly legitimate and that is what we did…when you complained of boredom the reply was “only boring people get bored”, so you’d go off and find something fun to do!

Wasn’t that the biggest insult!

i remember saying to my mum “going to play” and not coming home for 8-10 hours covered in scratches, mud, lantana etc. and she would never ask where we went/what we were doing.

Being out all day hanging with friends, not chatting to them online or texting them. But you were always home at 5pm or when the street lights came on!

deanobruce - 13 April 2012 12:52 AM

i remember saying to my mum “going to play” and not coming home for 8-10 hours covered in scratches, mud, lantana etc. and she would never ask where we went/what we were doing.

This was how it was done!!!!!  shaka

Double Dare was the best show on TV.

It so was!!

Does anyone remember the TV show ‘ridgy didge’? Or what about (for Victorians) The Early Bird Show was a Saturday morning MUST to watch Marty the Monster!! HA HA

yes ridgey didge and the arvo show on abc hosted by James Valentine. So good!