The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

SkiCity Melbourne

Mizu Kuma - 03 April 2012 11:34 PM

I thought that a “Segway” was supposed to be seamless?????

segway or segue? wink

For a minute there, I thought that was Jeremy!!!!!

In theory, the treadmill riding shouldn’t work, right? Well, I mean for more advanced riding.

The whole reason you’re able to carve on a board is due to centrifugal force. If you’re not actually moving and just the slope is, then this force has been takena way, no?
Basically this slope is going to cause you to keep your body mass directly above your board, use more muscle, and therefore become fatigued faster as the lack of force means you can’t use inclination or else your balance is off. Of course, I may have missed something?

I thought I was going to be checking out a long carpet slope. Those are actually pretty cool and a lot of pro’s have trained on them in the past. They’re great for freestyle.

I get what you mean, and at first i thought the same thing. But when you think about it a bit more it makes sense

As you lean left for example you dont fall over because the floor (treadmill) is moving forward, so your board starts to carve and the force pulling the board into the arc, is the same force (however in the opposite direction) thats holding you up. 
Its actually exactly like if you were riding down the mountain. The centrifugal force is still there that’s holding you up.

Good old fluid mechanics finally has some real world use lol :p

I don’t know man. I can justify it in my head, but at the same time I can think of more reasons that doesn’t work - it obviously does somehow, and I’d love to give it a go to figure it out. I just struggle to wrap my head around it if I can’t physically see and do it.

^ Reminds me of the airliner on the treadmill-runway problem…does it take off?? smile

To me the ski treadmill thing will appeal to beginner skiers only, and I doubt many will return for a second go.

Kinda like runnin on a treadmill, in theory it should be similar to runnin on the road, but the physics makes it have a completely different feel!!!!!

and when you get off it feels like your floating

Cooool!!!!!

Where do we sign up?????

I thought I would be able to find better treadmill skating but this was it.

croseks - 07 April 2012 11:47 AM

. . . The centrifugal force is still there that’s holding you up. . .

Not in this instance - because the force is directional, not centrifugal.

chucky - 09 April 2012 02:33 AM
croseks - 07 April 2012 11:47 AM

. . . The centrifugal force is still there that’s holding you up. . .

Not in this instance - because the force is directional, not centrifugal.

Yep, here’s my theory

Think about skateboarding on a treadmill. It can be done, it looks the same. But try doing tricks. Totally different.

That’s because you yourself have no inertia in any direction. You’re stationary and your board is rolling on a moving surface.

The difference is the board is trying to go backwards with the treadmill while you are stationary. You have to use you leg muscles to hold the board under you and hold onto the rails to hold yourself in place.

Rolling down a hill, you can stand on the board and roll and use (practically) no muscles to do it.

The difference with this is the treadmill is on a downhill, that’s what holds you in place. But it would still feel like the board wants to go backwards i bet.
And like Sam said, u can’t lean to much because there isn’t much force holding you up.

realy? how gay, what happend to shreding with the fellas, with a beer or 2, talking shit and punching ciggies, o wait thats skating, snowboarding has become completely homo, with fags rocking skins and hitting treadmills.

umm what?

I think he wants to marry you?????