The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Massive boost for NZ snow industry.

SamNZ - 22 March 2012 12:28 AM

No one’s forgetting the unpredictable and often crap weather of NZ, are they?

Booking that far in advance is a huge gamble. And leaving it until you have a good idea quickly makes it more expensive…

Same goes for Australia.

i think you need to take into consideration how many people are going….

say cheapest flight = 300 pp…assumption spending nothing on transfers in NZ…probably not the case but to keep it simple
for 1 person flights for 300 vs driving down petrol (150 on my car) + snow chains (40 bucks for 3 days…though i already have) + park fee (27 per day but most likely get season pass)
park fees being 27 /day or 130 odd per season
chains say 20 /day if you dont already have or dont own AWD/4WD

so 300 vs 270~ ish….not big difference
at this cost i would much rather go NZ and save myself sitting in the car for 12+ hours (6 hours each way)

for 2 people….flights = 600….270, price remains same to drive
3 people - 900 vs 270
4 share = 1200 vs 270 - this is massive difference

However!! lift tickets and accommodation not in picture yet…because i dont know these prices LOL

all comparisons based on travel from Sydney tongue rolleye

Sure, lift passes are less expensive in NZ - but it’s the accomodation that’s the game changer. Previously, there’s been NO high end on-snow accommodation anywhere in NZ - now, there will be.

Regardless of the cost of airfares, high end on-snow accommodation at Thredbo, for example, is very, VERY expensive. Who cares what flights etc. cost, when luxury on-snow accommodation is a mere fraction of the cost? If off-snow accommodation is a reasonable indicator, I’ve stayed at places in Wanaka and Queenstown that’d cost at least 5 times as much if they were in Jindy.

The kind of people this new development will appeal to are those like my friend who’s already planning on going to Queenstown for a weekend, and who just went to Hamilton Island for the weekend two weeks ago - people whose time is valuable, and are willing to pay a little extra for quality, but still want (comparitive) value for money.

I’m also betting that by the time this is up and running, someone will have set up a heli operation, with the heli-pad/s right in the village.

humdingaling - 22 March 2012 01:50 AM

i think you need to take into consideration how many people are going….

say cheapest flight = 300 pp…assumption spending nothing on transfers in NZ…probably not the case but to keep it simple
for 1 person flights for 300 vs driving down petrol (150 on my car) + snow chains (40 bucks for 3 days…though i already have) + park fee (27 per day but most likely get season pass)
park fees being 27 /day or 130 odd per season
chains say 20 /day if you dont already have or dont own AWD/4WD

so 300 vs 270~ ish….not big difference
at this cost i would much rather go NZ and save myself sitting in the car for 12+ hours (6 hours each way)

for 2 people….flights = 600….270, price remains same to drive
3 people - 900 vs 270
4 share = 1200 vs 270 - this is massive difference

However!! lift tickets and accommodation not in picture yet…because i dont know these prices LOL

all comparisons based on travel from Sydney tongue rolleye

Also factor in National Parks Pass can be used for entire season, or for example if purchased late season can then be used the followin early season too!!!! Plus entry into countless other parks!!!!!

A season pass can also be rationed out to be very effective if ya are a devout weekend warrior!!!!!

And not forgettin airport travel/parkin costs, passports, insurance, luggage restrictions, not bein able to take food/drink supplies etc etc!!!!!