The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Massive boost for NZ snow industry.

chucky - 21 March 2012 07:58 AM

I’ve probably driven Sydney-Snowies and back at least 50 times, and the main time it really sucks is the first/last hour from/to Sydney (which can sometimes take 3 hours), and also during the standard Friday night leaving and Sunday night returning Sydney weekend drive. I’m specifically referring to that time frame - because that’s the standard time for weekenders. I do whatever I can to avoid those times.

Ahh yeh i get ya now, i have never had to drive to the snow at those times before so wouldnt know about the shit traffic etc.

Hmmm I live pretty much in the CBD. There is no way I would fly to NZ for a weekend. Just the same way as I would never fly to canberra!

Even if it gets reclassed so it is not an international flight you still have to be there before the the flight takes off.

I am guessing the fligths aren’t going to be prefect for after work/after skiing. Or those flights wont be under $300!

deanobruce - 21 March 2012 09:20 AM
Mizu Kuma - 21 March 2012 09:06 AM

Gong - Perisher is only easier if ya actually in the Gong!!!!!

A bit South like me, and ya have to go up/down Maq Pass!!!!!

everytime we drove we actually used maq pass (some mates lived in Shellharbour)

Yeah, I use it every time and would prefer comin from Sydney!!!!!

The pass is a pain in the ass!!!!! Especially on the way home!!!!!

ozgirl - 21 March 2012 10:03 AM

Hmmm I live pretty much in the CBD. There is no way I would fly to NZ for a weekend. Just the same way as I would never fly to canberra!

Even if it gets reclassed so it is not an international flight you still have to be there before the the flight takes off.

I am guessing the fligths aren’t going to be prefect for after work/after skiing. Or those flights wont be under $300!

Yeah, fri/sun night flights would almost be certain to be peak times with prices accordingly!!!!!

^ Like I said, they’ll do package deals that’ll be well priced.

People who can afford it already fly to Queenstown for the weekend (I know someone who’s doing it this year, and has done it before), so this cheaper option will just make it even more accessible for others.

SamNZ - 21 March 2012 07:20 AM

Yeah I don’t know if any of you have ridden the likes of Mt hutt yet… Not exactly the most exciting field. It’s got a semi decent park, but the hill is tiny and has pretty tame terrain.

I’m not sure about Porters, my mate runs the snow school there, but considering it’s in the same ranges and not far away, I don’t think the terrain is going to be much different than Hutt.

Also, where are you getting sub $300 flights? I paid around $400 return carry on only last year chch-sydney.

I paid $280 for return to c-church last year and have seen them as low as $228 if you go on the right dates.

cords - 21 March 2012 10:57 PM

Yeah I don’t know if any of you have ridden the likes of Mt hutt yet… Not exactly the most exciting field. It’s got a semi decent park, but the hill is tiny and has pretty tame terrain.

I’m not sure about Porters, my mate runs the snow school there, but considering it’s in the same ranges and not far away, I don’t think the terrain is going to be much different than Hutt.

Also, where are you getting sub $300 flights? I paid around $400 return carry on only last year chch-sydney.

I paid $280 for return to c-church last year and have seen them as low as $228 if you go on the right dates.

Yep which then null and voids Chucky’s weekender theory

Out of curiosity, when was these dates?

pretty sure I could have gone in july or august for that price, but the dates we needed to go with the time freddy had off work didn’t quite fit.

No one’s forgetting the unpredictable and often crap weather of NZ, are they?

Booking that far in advance is a huge gamble. And leaving it until you have a good idea quickly makes it more expensive…

I’ve been the last two seasons for 10 days first trip (late july early august) and 2 weeks second trip (very end of july-nearly middle of august) & had amazing weather. We booked our flights in april both times.

Having said that, I wouldn’t be going for a weekend either. Even if it was cheap - I just can’t imagine going to NZ for snow and not visiting snow park. I’d hate myself! lol

deanobruce - 21 March 2012 11:52 PM

Out of curiosity, when was these dates?

Recent sale
3rd Aug to 12th Aug return to Christchurch (direct) via Virgin inc 23kg luggage = 236AUD

...was only because i picked those dates

(i recall) the sale ranged from mid April to December

those dates are pretty much when i went to nz for my 3 trips. thats a good deal buuuut i dont care about spending 5-600 on flights to NZ (i go premium economy with air nz, love it) so it wont affect me.

Yea, you’re looking about $300 + baggage costs for an August trip at the moment.

Personally I wouldn’t book anything prior to late July for a NZ trip in case of bad snowfalls. At least if the mountains are closed for a day, Queenstown is still a rad place to hang out!

ozgirl - 21 March 2012 11:51 PM

Yep which then null and voids Chucky’s weekender theory

Hmmmmmm? Although my “weekender theory” was by no means reliant on “sub $300 flights”, their availability was nevertleless incorporated into my explanation - and it’s now been verified by other sources that there’s plenty of these “sub $300 flights” to be had. So how exactly does this “null and void” my “weekender theory”?