The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Speedlites and Continuous Lighting?

I’m looking for any good and affordable speedlites and continuous lighting (hot shoe mounted)

Anyone got any good recommendations?

Cheers!

my mate has plenty of both, i can ask him where he got them but i know his arent anywhere near cheap. He went top of the line, but i have been to the factory/warehouse thing where he bought his so i will post up the link when i hear back from him.

Sweet as dude thanks! smile

If your wanting something cheap I use an opteka night light which was like 70 bucks and like its not anything amazing but it does the job for me atm. Might look at upgrading but I don’t really skate enough at night

what do you want to shoot? skating at night?

look for used nikon speedlights with optical triggers (sb-26, sb-28, sb-80dx). They’ll set you back $50 to $100 I think. You can trigger them with your camera’s onboard flash. For continuous lighting, go to your home hardware and look for work lights. You’ll need a generator too i think

i have a few of those yellow work light stands, bright/hot as hell! have seen them used on many a snowboarding/skating video previously

Sorry, was talking about on camera video lights. Would the Nikon speedlites work for the Canon 550d?

deanobruce - 14 March 2012 11:58 PM

i have a few of those yellow work light stands, bright/hot as hell! have seen them used on many a snowboarding/skating video previously

they are awesome! And cheap - Bunnings.
But you need a generator or power socket.

I have a video light that I bought from Canon.
It sits in the hot shoe but has no electrical connection.
It’s dam bright and runs on the same type of battery as my video cameras (Canon XL1s and XHA1). I’ve had it for 10years and it’s still going strong - considering I use it for types of things, like tonight I went mountain biking with it taped to the handlebars.

Hunting Stores will also have a range of portable lights!!!!!

My mate has got a rechargeable lithium ion spotlight that has more power than an average cars high beam!!!!!

spaz - 15 March 2012 02:00 PM
deanobruce - 14 March 2012 11:58 PM

they are awesome! And cheap - Bunnings.
But you need a generator or power socket.

I have a video light that I bought from Canon.
It sits in the hot shoe but has no electrical connection.
It’s dam bright and runs on the same type of battery as my video cameras (Canon XL1s and XHA1). I’ve had it for 10years and it’s still going strong - considering I use it for types of things, like tonight I went mountain biking with it taped to the handlebars.

i saw a few of those hot shoe mounted lights last weekend…i cant recall where i was or what i was doing though….. strange.

BKM - 15 March 2012 01:48 PM

Sorry, was talking about on camera video lights. Would the Nikon speedlites work for the Canon 550d?

yeah you fire them with a flash. they suck during the day though, but are good indoors, and outside at night