The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

drc13’s Japan 2012 (Hakuba/Tokyo) Trip Report + Videos!

torrents are goooood haha

i “acquired” the full adobe master suite the other day, saved me a few $$$

rider26 - 05 March 2012 02:34 AM

How do you still get it to look like widescreen proportions? Surely you’re cutting off an equal amount of footage anyway?

In r4 mode it is the tallest and widest view possible, so when it’s in iMovie etc, the top, bottom or a bit of both can be cropped to your liking!!!!! The default crops an equal amount from each by default!!!!! Plus I make the edit in 16:9 format to start off with!!!!!

Here’s a screenshot example from my last edit!!!!! I could’ve chosen to crop our legs and shown the top of the chair!!!!!

By default, it would have been centered!!!!! In 720p r3 mode (and r2 for that matter) it films in the widescreen format and therefor crops the image when filmin!!!!!

Awesome first edit Dave! Very tasty stack too wink

Mizu, I was thinking of using the 960P in 48 (?) frames as I noticed it has a much much taller view than the 1080 and 720. When I used Pete’s gopro last season in 720P 60fps I noticed a lot of the footage was not very good because you couldn’t see where I was going or you couldn’t see the board (probably accentuated by me being tall). 960P might be the answer. But for viewing I don’t think I would be chopping it to wide screen like you said you do. I imagine it kinda defeats the purpose, except you can choose the best part of the shot. Or does the tall footage look pretty whack/ not work with vimeo?

I will have to do some research on what editing software I want to get… Something that’s easy and not too resource heavy is key. Any suggestions?

Yeah, 960p @ 48fps would def be my pick too, Dan!!!!!

Ensurin that ya get ya board and head in the shot is by use of a long pole, a pain in the arse to carry I know, but worth it at the end of the day!!!!! (Plus, as ya might have noticed, Jez will take it off ya most of the time anyway!!!!! Between you and me, he thinks he’s a bit of a movie star!!!!!) 

And leavin that tall looks pretty old tv style and pretty shitty imo!!!!! It will most likely downsize the width to compensate once in the Vimeo player, I think!!!!!

I also think basic software like iMovie/Movie Maker are fine for the type of editin that the majority of us will ever do!!!!!

What software have ya got now????? (If any)

hrm i use adobe suit to do my editing/learn to do my editing lol ....

lanox - 05 March 2012 10:06 PM

hrm i use adobe suit to do my editing/learn to do my editing lol ....

Yea I want to learn to use Premiere Pro as well… but I haven’t got time to teach myself at the moment.

Dan83 - 05 March 2012 11:08 AM

Awesome first edit Dave! Very tasty stack too wink

Haha cheers mate I aim to please!  tongue wink
I used Sony Vegas Pro 11 for this edit but don’t have much to compare it to.

drc13 - 28 February 2012 11:26 AM

I say we have a big Australian season taking as much advantage of the freedom pass as we can whilst improving our riding and then work out what to do over summer. I’m happy for you to tag along with me when I inevitably go back to Japan which is likely to be within the next couple of seasons.

Late response but sounds like a great idea, im definitely in next time you go all depending on money at the time but heaps keen!  shaka

The video turned out well man, I have to say the music worked well for me and Merryn was surprised when she heard it she said “when did Dave start listening to Nero?” lol LOL

Mizu Kuma - 05 March 2012 11:37 AM

Ensurin that ya get ya board and head in the shot is by use of a long pole, a pain in the arse to carry I know, but worth it at the end of the day!!!!! (Plus, as ya might have noticed, Jez will take it off ya most of the time anyway!!!!! Between you and me, he thinks he’s a bit of a movie star!!!!!) 

And leavin that tall looks pretty old tv style and pretty shitty imo!!!!! It will most likely downsize the width to compensate once in the Vimeo player, I think!!!!!

I also think basic software like iMovie/Movie Maker are fine for the type of editin that the majority of us will ever do!!!!!

LOL about Jeremy.

True about the longer pole, but I was more thinking about for the head cam. I find footage looks pretty crap when you are just looking at the ground and can’t see what’s in front of you, but it’s also pretty boring if you tilt it up to see where you are going and can’t see your board. Especially important I found in powder. You have no reference to how good it is without seeing the board. 

I think I’ll definitely film in that res and just see after whether it looks ok tall or I have to chop it like you do.

I have a PC so can’t get iMovie. So far I don’t have any editing software.

Jeremy, you may want to try 960P cause you don’t use the long pole? Would help capture a lot more. Your head is usually chopped out of the shot.

Dan83 - 06 March 2012 02:18 AM
Mizu Kuma - 05 March 2012 11:37 AM

LOL about Jeremy.

True about the longer pole, but I was more thinking about for the head cam. I find footage looks pretty crap when you are just looking at the ground and can’t see what’s in front of you, but it’s also pretty boring if you tilt it up to see where you are going and can’t see your board. Especially important I found in powder. You have no reference to how good it is without seeing the board. 

I think I’ll definitely film in that res and just see after whether it looks ok tall or I have to chop it like you do.

I have a PC so can’t get iMovie. So far I don’t have any editing software.

Hasn’t ya PC got Windows Movie Maker?????

Yeah but I gave it one go and hated it (although I have no experience editing and nothing to compare it to). It’s the newer version and it has terrible reviews.

Dan83 - 06 March 2012 02:19 AM

Jeremy, you may want to try 960P cause you don’t use the long pole? Would help capture a lot more. Your head is usually chopped out of the shot.

Dan you saying Jez has a big head lol raspberry

Dan83 - 06 March 2012 02:33 AM

Yeah but I gave it one go and hated it (although I have no experience editing and nothing to compare it to). It’s the newer version and it has terrible reviews.

Oh!!!! I have used the older version once and found it ok, but have just gotten used to iMovie now!!!!!

I also have Prem Pro, but haven’t found the need for any more features as of yet!!!!! I am of the old school less is more philosophy!!!!!

Unfortunately this rule couldn’t be applied to footage of Jeremy, due to how many times he stuck his boof head in front of the lens!!!!!

lanox - 06 March 2012 02:35 AM
Dan83 - 06 March 2012 02:19 AM

Dan you saying Jez has a big head lol raspberry

Dan always tells it like it is, lano!!!!!

He’s the yes man!!!!!