The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

cabletieperformance’s gopro edits

Hey guys I know this may not be the most riveting and awesomely edited stuff you seen but constructive criticism is welcome.

Heres some vids i put together from the group i usualy head to the snow with.. some riding and gooning around.

I started a vimeo account as youtube is a PITA with songs so im in the process of uploading more stuff to that account

The black thing you can see is my helmet as i have the vent holes up the back and a j mount for the camera

This one is from my first day of trying boxes and rails

This one is from bits of 2011 season

Your board sliding on your first day doing boxes and rails?? Oh that’s right your a skater.

I like the way you still hit the boxes from the side when needed. This will help you a lot when you start trying urban style (side entry) rails.
Good job man smile

Umm I’m not much help with your riding but I can make a few suggestions for your edits?

First of all, I’d move the position of your go pro a wee bit farther down your helmet, so you can see more of your board but still be able to film what is ahead of you (for filming mates). Also, you could switch it up a bit and film some hand held or pole-mount stuff so the whole thing isn’t from the same angle.
I know the vids are just for your mates, but even so, I’d not make them more than 5 or 6 minutes at the most.

That is about all I’ve got. Good work though - looked like fun times!

Nice stuff, cable!!!!!

I’m def no expert, but I agree with cords about makin ya edits a little shorter (3-5 mins seems to be a good length for an audience), and get yaself a pole (either a shop bought, or a home made knock up) because the angles that ya can acheive can be unreal, and when mixed with the helmet shots, it can make a huge difference to the viewer when watchin!!!!!

Keep them comin!!!!!  shaka

Boardslides on your first day in the park - nice!

Man, I’ve gotta ride in groups more, looks like so much fun.

You bringin ya skills to the Shred this year, AJ?????

(Your already comin, aren’t ya cable?????)

Billy Joel! wooo! I haven’t heard that song in aaaaages!! wink Good tunes… Geez that lift rocks around @ 1:40!!

Yeah good job on the boardslides! And AJ - riding with a crew is the best!! shred

Mizu Kuma - 28 February 2012 07:01 AM

Hope so. Prob a 90% chance atm. I realise what I missed last year :(

Hope so. Prob a 90% chance atm. I realise what I missed last year :(

90% is good odds!!!!! shaka

Her Cords have you tried to mount that camera to get the view your describing?

Well done CTP good to see people actually posting up some stuff. The best thing about editing is how much it improves how you use the camera.

With my limited (ha!) experience doing p.o.v. vids in the snow and receiving feedback from around the world and locally - the best thing you could do is add run names and the areas of the resort your at. I’ve had many individuals tell me they learnt where to ride because of my YouTube channel. A good way to do this is to look at the various signage the resorts have erected and use that footage as well as titles.

Forget Billy Joel - stick with Boney M.

Longest vid of the snow I’ve ever done for public upload is 9min. I know how pain full it is to cut 95% of what you shoot but give it a go. Think of it as highlights clip with super short clips - cut out everything but the absolute highlight eg: don’t include the take off or landing of a jump just include the trick. By pushing yourself this way you will learn what can be included in later edit attempts.
Do this edit, then watch it back. Show your mates who feature in the vid and I bet you they start telling you it’s as good or better than any pro vid they’ve seen.

And don’t forget this comp is still running.
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2989/

spaz - 01 March 2012 11:19 PM

yep we’ve got our go pro curved mount stuck on my snowboard helmet - I think its about where my hairline starts, then you can adjust the angle to whatever you like (more straight down to see more of the board or straight ahead to film others) with the J mount thingy (can’t remember what that piece is called atm!)

Freddy got some good runs with it from snow park this year. I’m a bit snowed under with uni work atm but I feel an editing spree coming along in the not too distant future. When does your comp finish again?

hey guys…
thanks for the feedback! Last season was the first time i really used my gopro properly so this is the result you have seen. I understand what you mean by keep em short and sweet this was a compilation of the stuff i caught from the season so thats why it was long and just pretty much made it so everyone that i went down with could watch it.

This year i am planning on making a short and long pole so we can get better use from the camera and share it around.

My helmet has the vent strap in place but unfortunanlty the vents are up the back.. I did have a curved stick on mount but it uh… got ripped off lol as you can see here…

This is a still from my mates gopro

The girly high pitched laughter is a combination of my mate and me lol….

cords - 02 March 2012 03:07 AM
spaz - 01 March 2012 11:19 PM

yep we’ve got our go pro curved mount stuck on my snowboard helmet - I think its about where my hairline starts, then you can adjust the angle to whatever you like (more straight down to see more of the board or straight ahead to film others) with the J mount thingy (can’t remember what that piece is called atm!)

Freddy got some good runs with it from snow park this year. I’m a bit snowed under with uni work atm but I feel an editing spree coming along in the not too distant future. When does your comp finish again?

I thought you meant so you could get both the board and the action at the same time.

Yep, the position you described is the best way I found to mount that camera, though almost lower, with the “helmet front mount” folded as close as it can get to the helmet. I sent my mate off to the Himalayas to test using this position with the camera upside down because it sat more flush to the helmet.

Lucky it didn’t cause you a neck injury. Sticking anything to your helmet that can act as a lever increases the chance of breaking your neck.