The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

I need to get myself a Gopro 2 ASAP!

As the title says I’m trying to get a Gopro 2 before I go to Canada in a bit over 3 weeks. Anyone know where I can pick one up? Generally I would rather buy from a shop (in Sydney), as I don’t particularly trust online stores to send it out in time. 

My sister was going to get one through her work but that ended up failing due to the supplier.

I rang JBHIFI and Dicksmith and they don’t stock them.

I did a bit of an internet search. Any feedback from anyone that’s used the below websites before would be appreciated.

I found this site, which also has a retail store in Sydney. Gave them a call and they don’t have any stock of the Outdoor Edition. Apparently all of Oz didn’t really get any OE’s?? They may get stock at the end of the week though and will call me. Anyone bought from these guys?
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/category767_1.htm

This site has a pretty good deal on the Gopro with a memory card. Shipping is meant to be 6-9 days. I have the feeling it may not be being shipped from Oz… Anyone heard anything about them? Looks to be purely for online shopping. Website says it’s in stock (which I would check before buying).
http://hd-cameras.com.au/gopro-cameras?gclid=CJLE5Nvgs64CFaFMpgodRBEMQg

And lastly, these guys sell online and apparently have stock…
http://www.launchhelmetcams.com.au/

If you guys help I promise I will post footage when I get back hahaha shaka

Edit: I could also maybe buy it online from the USA Gopro website and get it sent to Jeremy wink Or buy it in Canada if they sell it in Whistler. Would rather get it before I go TBH though.

I can get u surf or Motorsport 100% I believe for a decent price but I know the out door version was all gone. If u interested in this 2 I am quiet confident I can get u 1

try sportscamera.com.au - they are in sydney I believe so shouldn’t take too long to get to you. No idea what they have in stock but somewhere to look, anyway!

Only because I know you Dan and your a friend.

PULL YOUR HEAD OUT YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not being funny! You do not need a GoPro 2 fool!

Far out!

If all else fails, there were a couple of shops in Whistler that did sell them!!!!!

I didn’t check the price though (enter Jeremy), cause I had spent enough cash already and Mrs Miz would have locked me out in the cold for even thinkin about gettin one!!!!!  long face

Or lano’s offer, or the mob that cords suggested also, as they used to be a part of the forums on here, and might be open for a few $$$ of as well?????

You coul order direct from gopro. Most people get theirs v quickly this way. The postage is a killer but if you bundle a whole lot of accessories in it works out ok. You would have to RMA to US for warranty, though.

Paxtons or the other Camera stores in town… can’t remeber there name. My friend just got one from there.

If you order in Australia, you’ll get your tax back at the airport.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sportscamera is definitely worth chasing up. I will look into options further over the wknd, including yours Spaz wink

Jeremy, how does the tax back thing work?

Tax back at the airport:

Every country is different in terms of proceedure for tax back, but the following applies to taking goods out of Australia…

Any purchase over $300 on a single receipt (you can have 10 items totalling $301, doesn’t matter as long at the receipt total is over $300) is elegible for tax back at the airport. Tax is calculated at 9.09% of the total amount. The receipt needs to be within 30 days prior to travel (you can even use the goods until you leave).

There is a lot of money to be saved if you are buying boards etc… It doesn’t matter if the board was purchased at half price, you still get your tax back.

This applies to ANY goods bought in Australia.

What you need:

- A normal tax receipt with goods listed, totalling $300 or more on the one receipt. The date on the receipt must be 30 days or less to the date of departure. You need your name and address on the receipt.

- The goods.

- Your passport.

That’s it.

How to claim it:

It is very easy and doesn’t take more than a few minutes.

- If the goods are small and being carried in your hand luggage (carry on), you go through security and immigration as normal. As you pass immigration just follow the signs to the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS). It is usually right there on the way to your departure gate. Pop in, show the receipt and the goods, and they will credit the tax straight onto your credit card or into your bank account (if you want it into your bank account you need your account number and BSB handy).

- If the goods are large and in your checked luggage (boards, boots etc…), you need to have the good sighted by Customs prior to checking in your luggage. As you get to the airport, go straight to Customs Client Services and show them the goods and receipt. They do a very quick inspection to make sure you have the goods and they stamp the receipt that it’s been checked. Check your bags in as usual. As you pass immigration just follow the signs to the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS). It is usually right there on the way to your departure gate. Pop in, show the receipt and they will credit the tax straight onto your credit card or into your bank account (if you want it into your bank account you need your account number and BSB handy).

does this work if you for eg layby something thats on sale or you cant order in anymore 2 months prior and pay it off in the 30 day period then claim it?

Just have to have a receipt that is dated within 30 days of ya departure!!!!!

Just keep in mind (and ya might wanna add this to ya spiel too Jez), that ya supposed to declare goods that ya bring back with ya, if they total/exceed more than $1000 original price/GST inc!!!!!

So if it’s gonna exceed the $1000, then get the shop to split the receipts between ya group if ya can!!!!!

Or just try and bring ya stuff back in without declaration and run the risk!!!!!

cabletieperformance - 24 February 2012 06:42 AM

does this work if you for eg layby something thats on sale or you cant order in anymore 2 months prior and pay it off in the 30 day period then claim it?

Yes. Just make sure the final receipt is within the 30 days. Also make sure your full name and address is on the receipt.

I got a gopro 2, yew!!! A lot of chasing around but got it in the end.  cool smile

Got it from sportscamera in the end. Thanks for the tip Cords.

And Spaz thanks for the very good offer on the Drift HD. I did give it a lot of consideration. Even read through all the threads and vids on the forum related to the Drift…

In the end it’s good it took awhile to get as I will be able to claim and get about $40 at the airport smile Jeremy, I don’t need to bring all the packaging hey, just the contents, right?

That $40 will go straight towards a bottle of bourbon duty free for us Jeremy haha.

They didn’t even wanna see my stuff at the TRS!!!!!