The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

K2_SCS’s Tasmanian Adventure

Saving this space for my Tassie Trip report. Starting to get more photos come through.
Here is one I played with today
Lots more and full report to come soon!

Well hurry up mate, we dont have all day!

Shut up chappy!!! Its gonna be a slow one to put together. I dont have lots of photos yet. By the end of the week I will have a rough trip outline with some photos.

So just take it as it comes!

Can’t wait to see it mate! Although, if it looks to good, I WILL want to come on the next one.  tongue wink

don’t worry I took some pics!

LOL

when is the rest going up?

haha nice pic CRACKERS! Rest, besides the video edit, will be up this weekend. Sorry for the delay. Back at work, and then been skating every night

So this is months late! And I still need to do the TR and sort photos. But here is a video edit of the trip:

Short decription of the trip/vid by Mark Oates:
A five day trip, from the Never Never in the Walls of Jerusalem, down the upper Mersey River through Cradle Mountain National Park. Tasmania, Australia.

Had wanted to do this trip for the past 6 years or so! Finally got to do it last summer with a great group of people. An absolutely awesome trip! The weatehr was perfect but unfortunately the river level was low - you can’t have it both ways in Tassie.

The journey, pretty much a circuit, involved two days of walking in and then three days negotiating the river, waterfalls, rapids and canyons back to to Lake Rowallan.

The trip included abseiling four major waterfalls - most of which are easily accessible along the internationally famous Overland Track. We also paddled some fun drops but nothing too serious. Despite the fact that the paddling looks fun the trip is more of a walk/canyoning trip than a full on paddling trip as a lot of sections of rivers are heavily inundated by fallen trees and timber.

Althought we are pretty sure we are the first packrafters to decend the river amazingly two kayakers had already completed it! Both the walk in and river/canyon trip would have been epic so kudos to them!

https://vimeo.com/channels/wildoates

SERIOUSLY AWESOME!

Man that would have taken some planning. One of my favourite parts of the world. And what an impressive collection of packrafts (and Henry Shires tarptents for that matter. Did I spy the new stratospire amongst the scarps). I was lucky enough to be down there the other week for the 35cm of snow. Came in via arm river and it was just magic. Not a breath of wind, just big dry fluffy flakes for 12 hours. magic!

I take my hat off to you sir. What a trip of a lifetime grin

Thanks Coop!!
Yeh Mark put a lot of time planning this trip. Been eyeing it off for years. The amount of rec. he puts into our trips I’ll never be able to pay him back for!

The tarptents are great. So light weight. We had 1 Scarpa, and 3 Notches (not the stratospire). Which I was in one. So good, just use our split paddles as poles and thats it. Got pegs, no other poles. Can even use rocks. As you could prob see we were on a rock shelf one night.

Yeh over easter we did a trip off Cradle mountain near Dove lake. We woke up one morning with nearly 10cm of snow covering everything. That video is in progress atm and will post it once it is done.

Yeh was definately the trip of a lifetime. smile but we have many more similar planned wink

Arm river looks like its gonna be a good paddle, but we havent been there when there has been enough water to do so. Arm River Falls are on my list of waterfalls I am hucking myself off once there is water.

WOW! That looks like it would have been an awesome adventure! Nice work and the vid is tops too!

Thanks for the comments Jazza! shaka