The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Vancouver Sunset: A few photos

I took these photos on Thursday, February 2nd, driving from Whistler to Vancouver for the hockey. The first few photos aren’t that good but I thought I’d share them anyway. The first few were taken during the drive (we stopped on the side of the road near the water). The later set of images was taken from Stanley Park in Vancouver, just as the sun was setting. Sorry if they are a bit repetitive. All the photos were taken with a Canon 40D and a Canon EFS 18-55mm lens.

Man can we have number on photos so it is easier to say which ones we like grin

I actually really like the first one.

I like the wharf thing in the second one but it is not great composition - a little bit wider would have improved it i think.

I really like the pic with what looks like only 3 boats (but i think there are more boats just clumped together). Only the ocean and the sky no other details…. not sure which number it is.

Sorry should have said the third photo is better with more wharf but you are cutting off the island, which makes the viewer not know that it is an island… if viewing on its own. So if there was a way to get the end of the island and that much wharf i think it would have been a better shot.

AMAZING!

Cheers Kim. I added numbers for you. smile

We didn’t have much time to snap the photos, so I just took whatever I could. I’m still not great with the camera so I didn’t play around with the settings much. We only had about two minutes at each spot (had to get to the hockey!).

Thanks for the feedback!

Okay so 9 is my fav of the ships…

Jex can i ask why you said you don’t like the first couple??

They are great shots with time constraints then!

My sister mentioned something to me about if you don’t have time then maybe take a couple of photos wide and then crop later… I am not sure i am a fan of that. I am too conditioned to frame every photo!! But maybe it would have worked for you here? But then you would have had to think about megapixels - I can’t do this with either my phone or my point and shot. (I WANNA DSLR!!!!  :-( )

ozgirl - 07 February 2012 12:40 AM

Okay so 9 is my fav of the ships…

Jex can i ask why you said you don’t like the first couple??

The big mountain in the background looks too dark. The photo doesn’t show what my eyes were seeing.

Ah ok I get ya… Jex….

LOL (ya know cause i like to randomly make up names it seems!)

Top shots mate! Really like 1 and 6, but all great. Can stare at sunset shots for ever

Really nice mate! You did very well here.

I really like #6. I’d hang it on my wall.  shaka

We need a thumbs up smiley.

Im with k2 and tills, really digging number 6! There’s just something about sunsets

5 & 6 are my fav’s. Nice work, i really should learn how to use my DSLR camera properly…

nice!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. smile

4ce_full - 07 February 2012 11:35 AM

5 & 6 are my fav’s. Nice work, i really should learn how to use my DSLR camera properly…

Or if you don’t you could give it to someone who would - ME grin