The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Japan 2011 / 2012

Hey MsLoki, welcome to boardworld!

Niseko is such an awesome place. Make sure you introduce yourself here:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/5/P750/

smile shaka

Hey MsLoki,

I am in Niseko from 26th Feb - 8th Mar (actual on snow days) if you would like a riding buddy grin

drc was it cold did u have to wear anything else under the skins ?

lanox - 31 January 2012 11:00 PM

drc was it cold did u have to wear anything else under the skins ?

It was actually really hot on mountain! First day I wore a long sleeve base layer and skins tights under my outerwear and melted.

After that I just wore a tshirt and undies with my jacket vents open and it still got warm. You might need something to cover your face on long lift rides though.

Keep in mind that I didn’t get any snow and it was very warm conditions for January in Japan so your results may vary.

I did get very cold on the snow monkey tour and in Tokyo though. More about that in my coming TR which I’ve just started typing up!

well hurry da F up son smile i leave in 3 days.

oh and thanks for the info i think i might just stick to skins and that is it.

lanox - 01 February 2012 12:27 AM

well hurry da F up son smile i leave in 3 days.

oh and thanks for the info i think i might just stick to skins and that is it.

No worries

Hah I’m up to like Day 2. With the amount I’m typing you might need a whole week to read it if you don’t fall asleep first. I’m just putting everything in so I remember it but it will probably end up boring as for everyone else smile

If anyone has a whole bunch of spare time you can have a read through my Japan trip report here https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4590/

ozgirl - 31 January 2012 05:13 AM

Hey MsLoki,

I am in Niseko from 26th Feb - 8th Mar (actual on snow days) if you would like a riding buddy grin

Hi ozgirl,

Thanks for the offer! I’d love to but I will be there with my hubbie who has never boarded before so we’ll be on the beginner slopes for most of the time, I suspect! I probably need a bit of a refresher course, too. So I’m guessing you’ll be in a different area. :(

Actually MsLoki, I will share a little secret I am more a skier than a boarder…. shhh. (please note my avatar!) But planning on increasing my boarding time in Japan!

I am there with about a million other people all of differing abilities - and heaps of couples!

And the lesson are so cheap up there (especial with the exchange rate at the moment - but shhh again as we don’t want to jinx it!) especially privates! Something to think about.

But yeah you need to do what you need to do to get hubby’s onboard with the sport!!

Aldo check this thread - https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3390/

Love that thread - looks like you had fun!

I’m seriously considering signing up for lessons, as I think it will help the +1 to get going quicker. I’m a little unsure if we are maybe too far apart in skill levels to effectively combine us in the one private lesson, but I think hubs would really prefer we did stuff together so it might still be worth it, even if I don’t gain much. Then again, I’m sure my technique needs a fair bit of work!

You know you are probably ok to combine. It doesn’t cost anymore for you to ‘join’ his private even if you only get minimal instruction from it.

In my experience though couple don’t learn together well. as they get a sort of performance anxiety… especially when one is a different level. You guys may be very different especially if he is keen to have you with him. . But it is something think about if you find he is anxious with you watching him…. it may but a good thing to bail on a couple of runs and join back in later?

Unless he is a sporty person…

Story time

I’d be boarding for 2 weekends in previous years prior to moving to Jindy for a season. After riding for half a season, my brother and sister came down for a weekend and I taught them the basics.

Then my bro came down again by himself and we found this smallish jump he wanted to hit towards the bottom of a run. So I said I’m going to go down to it fast and wait for you there. So I bombed the hill and sat down. Within 3 seconds he was sat down next to me…

Damn I hate how people just have natural skill sometimes :( lol.

(Afterwards, he did confess that he wasn’t that confident when he did it… but decided that if I could do it, he could too… What a bastard…)

TJswish - 02 February 2012 02:19 AM

Unless he is a sporty person…

True but if he was a sporty person she wouldn’t be worried about him not liking the sport… So i am guessing he is doing it more to please his wife! (good man!)

thats why i never tried to teach my missus. i get frustrated at her for falling voer heaps when i know she is better than that, and she gets nervous when im around.

So she usually runs around for a few hours by herself then we meet up for some runs, she has lunch and i hit the park.
Its a good system

Sucks to be those NOT going to Niseko!

Check this out baby!!

http://360niseko.com/blog/niseko-vs-the-world-2012/