The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

tunes for the shred

Was just thinking about getting some playlists together for my ipod for the season and wondering.

Who listens to tunes when they ride?
What do you listen to and why?

I think that music makes my riding flow differently depending what I am listening to and like the added sensation.

I am also trying to work out a playlist for they drive from harrietville to mt hotham starting mellow then getting a bit more amped towards the end of the drive.

I don’t listen to music when I ride cause I’m normally with friends and we chat etc… but here is a playlist I made a while back if you want some Rock/Metal Suggestions.

Favourites of mine include: Band - Song

System of a down - Chop Suey, BYOB, Boom! etc
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name, Bombtrack, People of the Sun
Audioslave - Cochise, Show me how to Live
Atreyu - Right Side of the Bed, Blow, Doomsday
Karnivool - Themata, L1felike
Incubus - Vitamin, Certain Shade of Green, Nice to know you, Wish you were here
Pennywise - Peaceful Day, Waste of Time, Running out of Time

Bit Lighter?
Jebediah - Leaving Home, Harpoon, Animals
Grinspoon - Just Ace, Champion
Silverchair - Freak, Anthem for the year 2000
Muse - Sing for Absolution, Time Is Running Out
Birds of Tokyo - Broken Bones, Silhouettic
Millencolin - Penguins and Polarbears, Home from Home, Story of my Life
Fuel - Hemorrage, Shimmer
28 Days - Rip it up, Sucker

Bit Heavier?
Opeth - Serenity Painted Death, Deliverance, Heir Apparent
Porcupine Tree - Shallow, Blackest Eyes, Fear of a Blank Planet
Nightwish - Bye Bye Beautiful, Over the Hills
Within Temptation - Our Solemn Hour, Angles
Pantera - Walk, Cowboys from Hell
Metallica - One, Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets

If you give some a listen, please let us know which ones you like/dont like/already knew smile

Out of your entire list I think I recognise about 10 of those songs smile

Can’t stand Jebidiah - the lead singers voice just annoys me - sounds like he is permanently on dope or something smile

Metallica is definately something to pumped up with…..“Enter Sandman” is fav of mine…..off topic, I cannot wait to see them in concert when they come out later in the year!

A few of the songs from Warren Miller’s “Impact” always get me pshyed up…especially..
“Ride” - The Vines
“Get Free” - The Vines
“Road Trip” - Steriogram
“Shiver” - Coldplay (segment was titled “snorkel deep in Steamboat Springs” - amazing stuff)

I am all about the cruisy flow of music in my ears when i board unless i want to rip up the snow then i will listen to some electro/house. But i love the funk/urban/chillout kinda a feel when i am boarding. You just get to cruise and feel as though you are snowboarding on a cloud. Of course when you stack it, the added bonus is relaxing music to keep you from losing it smile

I think music plays a huge part.
I have that many songs on my Ipod that sometimes its a constant shuffle until something comes on that I know my mood will like. I guess each day is a different playlist depending on how sore you are or how mellow you feel!

For your drive:

How about these if you want a mix of stuff:

1. Coldplay
2. Black Eyed Peas
3. Bon Iver
4. Calvin Harris
5. David Guetta
6. Empire of the Sun
7. The Foo Fighters
8. Jay-Z
9. John Mayer
10. The Killers
11. Eskimo Joe
12. Moby
13. Muse
14. Pheonix
15. Paramore
16. Pitbull
17. Snoop Dogg
18. Temper Trap
19. Travis
20. Usher
21. Florence and the Machine
22. Metallica
23. ACDC
24. John Butler Trio
25. Christina Aguilera
26. Lady Gaga (if your into her music).

Just some ideas.
Hope it helps.

like tjwish I don’t listen to music when I ride - I tend to be with friends and its a bit of anti-social when someone has ear phones on the chairlift.
I ride just as well without music wink

When I am in the market for my next helmet I might look at getting one of those ones with the in built earphone thingis which I can hookup my ipod to…until then it will be silence!

I agree with you both that in that “i usually am with friends” when i board most definitely. But when i take off on my own or am with my brother and we both have head phones in to race each other down the mountain or just cruise it is nice.

Either way, music matters whether or not your own the mountain or in the car heading down! Well thats what i think.

for the drive down and back from Sydney, I like to pick up a few CDs on special that I’ve never heard - makes it more interesting.
On the snow: funk (eg curtis mayfield, james brown, earth,wind,fire)
Or from the music thread, you can probably tell I like a bit of Iron Maiden (which goes down well at any time)

not sure why, but every time i go boarding park, i listen to gangstaaaaaaaa

young joc
quosimoto
notorious big
m&m
fiddy
others non gansterrrrrr
muph& plutonic
bliss n eso
hilltop
funkors
draft
seth sentry

if im hittin slopes, then i’ll go anything a little harder.

12 stones
all that remains
incubus
head machine
jon butler
hed pe
ill nino
rise against
pendulum
perfect cirle.
skylit drive
sum41
cartel
nirvana
chiodos

list goes on..  think i listen to to much tunes..

Yeah I agree that headphones on the lift is rude.
I usually pause or pop the earphones out. When bindings get cranked tunes get cranked.
I was thinking more along the lines of tunes being like an Parmesan cheese on Pasta, that shit always tastes better.
I don’t think that affects how well I ride but it changes the attitude of my riding:
KYUSS on a powder day hammering at top speed putting that little extra in to a slash or a bit more into “oomph” into a tweaked out indy blasted of a cliff drop.

Think of it as a DJ set for you only

Usually ride with it on just as background noise.. not so loud that I can’t hear my edges and so I can still hear if people are talking to me.. hard to find the balance but great if it works out when i can get it.

Mainly like to listen to drum and bass like london elektricity etc pretty mellow chilled stuff where all the tracks blend into eachother, have a couple of 2 hour mixes. I find that it just keeps me in a good rythm and can keep riding for hours with it. Also don’t mind throwing on something like deftones if I want something a bit angrier. Just depends whats on the ipod at the time really.

I like moving beats, listen to really random stuff, not super loud like finney, but I usually ride alone so I don’t get much talking done off the chairlift

snowdragon - 11 June 2010 02:39 AM

I like moving beats, listen to really random stuff, not super loud like finney, but I usually ride alone so I don’t get much talking done off the chairlift

the solo shred is highly undervalued. no waiting, more riding!!

Andy_T - 11 June 2010 06:48 AM
snowdragon - 11 June 2010 02:39 AM

the solo shred is highly undervalued. no waiting, more riding!!

yeh totally agree here. So much more riding gets done, and it’s great with music

anyone listen to Silversun Pickups??

Alltime best band to listen to when on a board of any kind!!!

Rick0889 - 11 June 2010 10:56 AM

anyone listen to Silversun Pickups??

Alltime best band to listen to when on a board of any kind!!!

Never before but I’m pretty impressed!