The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Japan: Niseko Vs. Hakuba

Hey Guys

Planning a lads trip to Japan 2012/13 season, prob Feb for 2 weeks. Should be 4 of us, all intermediate riders.

I was hoping to get some advice from whoever has been to both the Japan Alps and Hokkaido on ski trips.

Im trying to figure out whether to go to Niseko or Hakuba (or somewhere else?). Factors to consider.. I LOVE powder skiing and off-piste terrain.. but I hear the terrain in Niseko is kind of mellow and unfeatured but it has epic cold powder as opposed to Hakuba which has better terrain but the snow qualitys not as good.

As a lads trip the nightlife/things to do after riding is also another factor.

The other guys im travelling with have never been to japan so the richness of culture is also another factor.

Okay thanks everyone and I appreciate your feedback!

Cheers

Hey im reading a previous post on this topic https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3888/ but if any1 has anything else to add that wud be great! thx

I’ll let you know in a week!! Niseko is amazing

Yeah, Niseko is an awesome place to go, and Hirafu/Kutchan/Sapporo is where the after hours apre is at!!!!!

While the mountain is fairly tame, the off piste and dry dry snow makes up for it!!!!! And even though Niseko is fairly “westernised”, it still has plenty of bizzaro things to make ya realize that ya not in Kansas anymore!!!!!

Yet to get to the Nagano prefecture but there’s a few of us already talkin a 3 week stint for 2012/13, and Hakuba will be in it along with a return to Niseko, with Tokyo and Kyoto gettin some tourist time as well!!!!!

Oh, and no doubt Gamblor will be involved here, and without a doubt the best source of info in regards to ya question!!!!!

i am really not 2 sure as i am going to hakuba in 3 weeks so i can tell you how hakuba is then, but i think if you want culture etc most likely hakuba is better place to go as niseko would be lot more westernized as Mizu has mentioned.

I decided to go to Hakuba for my Japan trip a few years ago. I based my decision on terrain, riding options, lack of tourists etc. I wanted to focus more on the riding and less on partying etc. I’m sure you read my post and saw my photos in the other thread. I had an incredible time in Hakuba and I would certainly return there in the future.

My understanding of the Niseko vs Hakuba comparisons are as follows:

Niseko pros: huge amounts of the best quality snow, snows consistently, great nightlife and parting.
Niseko cons: a bit of a ‘tourist trap’, lots of aussies, more crowds, terrain is comparatively mellow.

Hakuba pros: excellent snow (not as good as Niseko but still awesome), some of the best terrain in Japan, lots of riding options (I believe you can ride any of eight resorts surrounding the town of Hakuba), a cool town with decent bars and restaurants, less crowds, a more authentic Japanese experience.
Hakuba cons: snow isn’t as reliable as Niseko, not as much nightlife.

All of that said, the snow I experienced in Hakuba is still by far the lightest and deepest snow I have ever experienced (beats Colorado, Canada etc.). There were barely any people riding during the week. While we didn’t go out and party at night, we still had fun going to local bars and restaurants. The locals were super friendly and helpful. It’s also super easy to get a bullet train from Tokyo to Nagano; you’re there in a couple of hours.

Either way, you’re in for an awesome trip! Let us know what you decide. shaka

I went to both 2 years ago a week at each and 4 days in Tokyo.

Agree with all the pros and cons Rider said. Except I found the Terrain better in Niseko than Hakuba. Niseko are much better at letting you go off piste than Hakuba (this is coming from someone who got their pass yanked in Hakuba on the first day! Opps!) We were bored stupid in Hakuba. Admittedly we didn’t have fresh snow.

At the end of Feb I am heading to Niskeo for two soiild weeks can let you know my thoughts after that. No Tokyo no side trips.

Now that ya mention it, I don’t even remember seein ski patrol in Niseko!!!!!

well, ozgirl is a skier if I remember correctly. No wonder you were bored! What I mean by that is, skiers either ride pow or ride groomers or do moguls. There is no buttering, 180’s, bonks, jibs, riding switch etc. Give a boarder a rollover onpiste and he’ll be happy floating 180’s all day.

Ya didn’t have to explain it, Gamblor!!!!!

The first statement was suffice!!!!!

true, true

Gamblor - 12 January 2012 06:02 AM

well, ozgirl is a skier if I remember correctly. No wonder you were bored! What I mean by that is, skiers either ride pow or ride groomers or do moguls. There is no buttering, 180’s, bonks, jibs, riding switch etc. Give a boarder a rollover onpiste and he’ll be happy floating 180’s all day.

This makes me happy! I love rollers!

Mizu Kuma - 12 January 2012 06:53 AM

Ya didn’t have to explain it, Gamblor!!!!!

The first statement was suffice!!!!!

Bahaha!

Mizu Kuma - 12 January 2012 12:16 AM

We saw the ski patrol heaps over there !!!!!

Each arvo when we were a little late heading back to Hanazono where we were camping they would try and stop us going home, until with my excellent Japrish language skills I explained we were staying in “that” place with the green roof LOL

oh, then Wildman drilled himself off a booter and ski patrol came, then we went in the ambulance ........................

Azz - 13 January 2012 10:22 AM

oh, then Wildman drilled himself off a booter and ski patrol came, then we went in the ambulance ........................

Mate all u had to say was he did a k2

Mizu Kuma - 12 January 2012 12:16 AM

Thats cause you stuck to the green runs Devon…..