The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Japan 2011 / 2012

Billy - 08 January 2012 11:43 AM

I can meet you for a slide on either 18th/19th if you want drc! (what’s your real name by the way…?) wink
Where are you staying?

Sounds great Billy, Give’s me a chance to get my snow legs on the 17th and pretty sure I’m booked for the snow monkey tour on the 20th.

Real name is David and I’m staying at Mt Hakuba Backpackers in Echoland. Will be catching the shuttle bus in the morning to whatever mountain I’m heading too.

Cool bananas, that’s where Teacher Boy (K2) stayed I think! smile we’re staying at the lab

Billy - 08 January 2012 08:48 PM

Cool bananas, that’s where Teacher Boy (K2) stayed I think! smile we’re staying at the lab

Nice one, we’ll just have to workout how to get in contact with each other over there or a meeting spot.

Who are you flying with? Thinking of doing a test pack of everything today to make sure I’m actually going to be under my Jetstar baggage limit.

best thing i invested in* is a travel bag scale. its a handheld grip that you clip onto your bag handle, hold it in the air and press the button to get the weight of your bags.

Saved me in Vegas, and on my way home from LA.

*i didnt actually buy it, my old man gave it to me

deanobruce - 08 January 2012 09:41 PM

*i didnt actually buy it, my old man gave it to me

Haha the exact same thing happened to me smile Just got to get everything in the bags to actually weigh them!

drc13 - 08 January 2012 08:45 PM
Billy - 08 January 2012 11:43 AM

I can meet you for a slide on either 18th/19th if you want drc! (what’s your real name by the way…?) wink
Where are you staying?

Sounds great Billy, Give’s me a chance to get my snow legs on the 17th and pretty sure I’m booked for the snow monkey tour on the 20th.

Real name is David and I’m staying at Mt Hakuba Backpackers in Echoland. Will be catching the shuttle bus in the morning to whatever mountain I’m heading too.

Yeh thats where I stayed last Jan. Awesome little place. Has a sick bar/lounge with two happy hours each night and games/pool/jenga nights each night.
Dave is the owner, nice bloke.
Let me know who is workin the kitchen and bar. We had Nori, a rad 40yr old Japanese dude. Such a cool bloke. Awesome cook (meals only 600 Y boys). He is also a sick backcountry rider.

You will have fun there

drc13 - 08 January 2012 09:08 PM
Billy - 08 January 2012 08:48 PM

Nice one, we’ll just have to workout how to get in contact with each other over there or a meeting spot.

Who are you flying with? Thinking of doing a test pack of everything today to make sure I’m actually going to be under my Jetstar baggage limit.

We flew with Jetstar, and they were very lenient with weight on our snowboard bags. We were all a couple of kgs over on our snowboard bags and they didnt even flinch

Thanks K2, good to see some positive reviews!

I’ll be arriving at the hostel around 2-3am so I’m hoping it’s easy enough to find where I’m meant to be sleeping!

Yeh maybe just send an email to him and he should be able to sort something out for you. Its funny, he is an Aussie and he runs the backpackers there and his wife is Japanese and she runs a hostel in Cairns

I’m staying at the Lab as well. Make sure to let us know how it is Billy smile

Hey guys, just wondering how are you all dealing with the money ?, are you changing all the money here and taking in to hakuba ?

is there atm’s over there that will take out cards ? i did read somewhere on here that after 5pm atms don’t work or something on thos lines and that some atms are closed and you can only open te door with ANZ cards or something like that? can some one shed some light on this please ?

Thanks

Best to take as much cash as you can!

ATMs frequently run out of cash or are closed, oh and not a lot of ATM take aussie cards. In big city’s you can get into the locked after hours area of citibank ATM if you have a Citibank CC even if you don’t use that card to withdraw cash. grin

thanks oz that is right i read that on here before but i though it was ANZ either way i don’t have either one of those cards lol ....

how much do you think you will need cash for 7 nights been in hakuba rough estimate ? is food/drinks expansive, ? and yes i know it’s all on person and how much you spend but just curious as to how much for those that went already has set them back.

lanox - 09 January 2012 09:33 PM

Hey guys, just wondering how are you all dealing with the money ?, are you changing all the money here and taking in to hakuba ?

Personally I will be exchanging a little bit of money (to get me through the first day) at the Airport. From there I plan on living off my 28degrees card which I have preloaded with money, meaning no transaction fees and a true exchange rate when I get money out of the ATM.

I will have a 7/11 with ATM 3 doors down from where I’m staying though. All my accommodation, transport and lift tickets have been paid for.

From what I have read you really want to have cash on you at all times as credit card/eftpos is not big over there so make sure you find an ATM early on.

drc13 - 09 January 2012 09:44 PM
lanox - 09 January 2012 09:33 PM

Personally I will be exchanging a little bit of money (to get me through the first day) at the Airport. From there I plan on living off my 28degrees card which I have preloaded with money, meaning no transaction fees and a true exchange rate when I get money out of the ATM.

I will have a 7/11 with ATM 3 doors down from where I’m staying though. All my accommodation, transport and lift tickets have been paid for.

From what I have read you really want to have cash on you at all times as credit card/eftpos is not big over there so make sure you find an ATM early on.

yeah i was going to get Commonwealth Banks Travel card, but like Ozgirl said they atm run out of money/not working all the time,