The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Lens suggestion for Canon 40D

Hey guys,

We are in the market for a new lens for our Canon 40D. We currently have two lenses: a 50mm and a 55-250mm. Both were relatively cheap and they work well. However both are really narrow and it’s hard capturing landscapes or anything close range.

We don’t want to spend too much as we are still learning. Any suggestions on a good lens to compliment what we already have?

Thank you. smile

Update: I purchased a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens. I know this lens is an entry level kit lens but it fills a gap and allows us to play around while we learn more about photography. I didn’t want to spend much so it was a safe purchase I think. I’ll post some photos with it when it arrives.

Don’t be too worried about getting the “kit” lens Jez. It’s still quite capable of taking very nice shots if you understand its limitations. You’ll have plenty of fun using this while you’re still learning. Once you get the hang of it, and work out what you like shooting most, then you’ll have a better idea about what lens to replace it with.

I know you’ve already made your purchase, so my suggestions are now pointless, but in the future, if you want a relatively inexpensive lens to replace it with, I’d suggest something like the Tokina 12-24 f/4 (If you want an ultra wide) or if you want more of a direct replacement for the 18-55, look at either the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (similar focal range, but faster glass), the Sigma 17-50 (as with the Tamron, but with USM and IS), or the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (Slightly more range and arguably better IQ).