The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Installing a stereo in a Subaru

So Santa got me a new car stereo.

And whilst Dad is quite capable of installing one (done it on every car I have ever owned) he is nervous about this one. Probably cause its the nicest car I have ever owned!

Any tricks anyone could provide?

Is there any sticking points? He is more worried about taking the old one out.

No different to any other car!!!!!

Just tell him to have a few drinks, and he wont really care if it all goes wrong!!!!!  cheese

Oh, and measure twice, cut once is always a good piece of advice!!!!!

I have never pulled apart a Subu, let K2 and I do it !!!!!

Azz when I saw that you had replied I thought to myself “careful how helpful you are Azz as you may end up doing it!”

Didn’t think that was the response I would get!

Tell you what Azz if Dad stuffs it you can get a go!

Mizu, as helpful as ever!

Don’t mention it, oz!!!!!  smirk

If you are really unsure then it will be worth it to pay to get it installed smile

like mizu said, measure twice cut once…

what subaru is it?

is the standard unit a double din unit? we just did my mates car and the standard unit was 1.5 din so we had to get a spacer and my liberty was double din so had to do the same thing…

wiring also depends on car make/year

shouldn’t be too complex Oz..  The few I’ve done all were pretty much the same.  If the wires aren’t labelled (or there isn’t a diagram) go with like colors (red to red etc) only conplications I ever ran into I needed to get a deck kit to fit a smallish radio into a bigger space.  Good luck, def reccomend giving her a go before you attach and put the console back together tongue wink

I had ants coming out of my Impreza’s cd thingy.  Probably explains why discs never read.

Thanks everyone!

He is giving it ago.

Eek!!

Great stuff ozdad!!!!!

But why has he taken the glovebox off?????

Clearly he didn’t have to take the centre console out nor the Glove box.

But he found my missing blush brush!!

And that long black cord…. we figure it must have been for a stacker…. I just said to dad I should have just asked santa fro a stacker it would have been easier!

Sometimes ya have to take the centre console out, in order to get the rest of it out!!!!!

Sure that the “Long black cord” isn’t the aerial?????

the long black cord could also be your antenna line?

EDIT: sorry mizu beat me LOL

The end of it was connected to nothing - we had all wondered what it was when i got the car. It had been curled up under the front seat since i got it.

Oh and Mizu yeah thats what he thought about the glove box and the centre console… but look closely mizu you will see that there was no need!

RPS88A - it is an impreza 2004 with 2003 badging…. cause yeah it could be different.

he actually has got stuck on the wiring so if you have any tips…

Snowdragon - even as a girl i know like colours go with like colours!!