The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Japan 2011 / 2012

A little bit of column A, and a little bit of column B! wink billy shred

Billy - 13 December 2011 06:26 AM

Just changed my (last) night in Tokyo to an extra night in Hakuba so I’m there til the 20th Jan!

Yep!

I went with maximum on snow time!

Is there a smiley for borderline offensively loud karaoke? I plan on blasting out a couple of numbers during my time there. Also does anyone know if its better to change aussie $ into yens here or there?

Change some of ya $AU into ¥JP at the Post Office, and then get yaself a VISA Debit/Credit Card and withdraw from the international ATM’s that are found at every Japan Post Office and/or the Airport!!!!!

Don’t forget about the ATM’s shuttin at 5:00pm over there also, and withdraw the maximum amount each time to save on the transaction fee!!!!!

Easiest and cheapest way that I have found!!!!!

Plan your money in advance - ATM’s frequently run out of money in Hakuba and the like and atm’s that accept international cards are very limited!

You can also only get International ATM in Post Office or Citibank branches. And after hours you need someone with a Citibank card to gain access to the terminals.

In the middle of Tokyo my friends would have been screwed if I wasn’t a citibank customer. Once in the vestibule they can use their non citibank bank cards but the door wont let you in with it.

Japan Karaoke

When you going Trent?

I’d say you be best off getting the money on a day when our dollar is highish… personally I’ll probably be using the CC a bit while I’m over there lol.

I fly out on the 10th of Jan for 2 weeks, only 4 weeks to go!!

I asked some other people who have been to japan about the money thing and they said about the post office and stuff, but non of them mentioned the ATMs shutting at 5pm. Thats good knowledge to have!

I have a citibank credit card, will that grant me worthy of entering their ATM fortresses??

Yep that’s the only thing i have grin

I used that for entrance but stuck a westpac atm card in the machine grin

splendid, ill make sure its with me then.

It’s puking in Hakuba right now!!!

and yeah, machines stop working at 5pm -> can’t make them do overtime (only people can do that)

Gamblor - 16 December 2011 04:03 AM

and yeah, machines stop working at 5pm -> can’t make them do overtime (only people can do that)

Awesome!!! Gotta love a puke!

I find the whole atm at 5pm thing incredibly weird. what do people do if they need cash after then?

Music to my ears!  dance

1 month countdown begins today!

not all atm’s stop at 5. It depends on the area. In the countryside (like Hakuba) they’re not too advanced.

Anyways, where I lived before, you had to make sure you had enough money out when it was a long weekend, otherwise you’d be eating ketchup packets from mcdonalds.

The official line I was told was, it’s to prevent people getting robbed when it’s dark out (when they’re taking money out).
Hey, in my town there’s a loud speaker that plays music at 7am, 12 noon and 5pm to let people know the time (plenty weird eh?)

trentradpants - 16 December 2011 04:50 AM

Awesome!!! Gotta love a puke!

I find the whole atm at 5pm thing incredibly weird. what do people do if they need cash after then?

Bahaha…

How old are you Trent?

Am guessing you grew up in a world where stores were open on a Sunday!