The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boardworld Shred 2012 - Preferred Dates

Poll: Preferred week
Total Votes: 27
Prefer September 3 - 9
Prefer September 10 - 16
Can only make September 3 - 9
Can only make September 10 - 16
Put me down for both weeks
I’m easy...
TJswish - 22 November 2011 01:07 PM

1. $13 a night at the station is almost too hard to beat, however you are looking at an hour trip to the snow each day (30 min drive to ski tube and 30 min wait/train ride)

We’ll be driving straight to Perisher - about 35 minutes from The Station Resort.

2. If we can get a deal, Crackenback is a much nicer option and much easier for people to get to and from the snow without having to wait for people who sleep in etc. Problem there is no included food, no pub and self contained accommodation isn’t ideal for our trip.

Breakfast can be included, and their pub is really nice. Breakfast and dinner can be included at The Station, and they have a pub and a nightclub.

3. >$500 for on snow accommodation is too much. If we can’t get it under that amount, people won’t come. We should talk to people like Deanes snow to book X amount of rooms at the Corroboree or Matterhorn and see what they can do for us. They were heaps helpful when I worked down there and the owners are really good. They also own Ski Rider which has a pub / lounge on site which could be an option if they can get it cheap enough. They run buses to and from Perisher each Morning / Arvo so drink driving isn’t an issue.

Some of us will definitely be staying at The Station - already booked. The price is simply too good to beat, as are the on-site facilities. Prior to posting this poll, the aim has been to centre the Shred’s nighttime activities in and around The Station Resort’s facilities, but people are still welcome to stay elsewhere. However to get the good rate at The Station, we need to know numbers ASAP, as they’re already being overrun with bookings.

chucky - 22 November 2011 12:50 PM
Billy - 22 November 2011 11:50 AM
chucky - 22 November 2011 11:44 AM

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3161/

It’s ok Chucky I don’t need the link - it’s not a competition… I just think we need to keep in mind our Vic (and any other state) friends in mind too in the future….

No, it’s not a competition. However the reason for these polls is to get some kind of majority consensus, and the season pass numbers contribute to that. The reason I posted the link is to hopefully get updated numbers.

I know, that’s what I said! However majority of people who participate actively in the forums seem to be from NSW - so of course a Perisher pass makes sense… Anyhoo, just saying…  oh oh

And if anything - it’s the season pass holders (to anywhere) that are getting the best deal…. A lot of BW members making the occasional w/e trip and they’re the most out of pocket (trips depending).. I reckon it shouldn’t be about all about the season pass as the no. 1 decider… I know it’s Perisher for 2012! All good, just my two cents!

Geez, this is getting stressful already! I need a holiday from talking about a holiday! Hehehe..

smile

Mizu Kuma - 22 November 2011 10:51 AM

Surely there is somethin comparable to Thredbo?????

I can only imagine how many people lose their license while drivin up the mountain!!!!! The stats would probably blow ya away!!!!!

well all of them are idiots (putting it lightly to maintain bw family atmosphere), every last one…just cos there may be a lot of them, does not mean we should start catering for the possibility of them. They can grow up and take responsibility for their own actions and either not drink or think ahead and organise something else - just like everyone else.. I think losing your license in that situation is the best case scenario. /endrant

OK, so we have locked in,

The Shred WILL be at Perisher for 2012

There are already people booked in to stay at The Station.

So the above is a done deal.

I agree with pretty much all the comments so far.

I think someone in the know should look into on snow accom. Apart from the $$$$, staying on snow is far better. I would personally prefer it myself.

I have stayed at Crackenback in summer, it was fantastic. Worth a look into.

Downside of folks staying at different locations, is the night time festivities won’t be as good.
I get staying at The Station, but to be honest, driving up and back each day has whiskers on it.

Mizu, sort something out will you mate? I’m staying where your staying. Holiday Dad can look after everything for us :

I haven’t stayed at the station since I was 17, can’t say I really thought that much of it as I thought it was too far away.  Personally I like Jindy, heaps of pubs and restaruants, the caravan park on the lake near the centre of town has a load of self contained bungalows that when split between 5-6 people would be bugger all.  It’s a 5 minute walk to LJH if that and not much further to Banjo’s and even less to the Brumby. 

If you want a fire and privacy you can camp at Island Bend, bout 10 min drive from the lifts at Guthega…...........................

Not sure about staying at Smiggins, I seem to remember the runs joining all the different parts of the resort get pretty sketchy if not closed by mid September and I would hate to have to get a bus to Perisher if they were closed.

As far as doing your licence goes, do not speed and do not drink drive, they are everywhere and they will get you.  A favourite is just past the park entry gates on the way to perisher both on the way there in the morning and back in the arvo, they have an absolute field day with the radar gun there.  Also they do set up RBT’s in the arvo near the other lake caravan park at the skitube/thredbo turn off, you can tell cause the traffic gets banked way back.

As far as dates are concerned I don’t really care, I doubt I can do the whole week regardless.  My preference is to stay in Jindy and drive up each morning, I’ve got my season pass, national park season pass and it’s a dual cab 4by so might be able to offer lifts on the days I’m there.

Crankenback is prob the most exy place in Snowy Mtns to stay

Station is cheap & warm - all u need and expect rowdy behaviour - too a certain point

on snowy at PB is usually $200-300+ per night in anything PB owns

unless u go private lodge - but then they might not be accepting of crowd behaviour

it might have been better to approach a Snow Trip company and get a Bulk Rate thing with bus transfers inculded

Jez any insider stuff with PB?

Also i have a 7 seater - will fit 4 peeps including boards or if we team up with NBG or other ute owners maybe 6 peeps with boards in ute etc

things like this - no need for cars etc 2011 price - doesn’t include lifts tickets

http://www.snowtravel.com.au/mains/coachtrips.jsp

WEEKEND 2 Day Snow Trips
Snow Coaches depart Sydney, Central Station, Eddy Ave Bay 9 at 6pm Friday evening, Canberra, Jolimont Centre at 10.30pm, returning late Sunday night.  Includes:
2 x Nights accommodation at the SNOWY VALLEY RESORT Jindabyne
All transport from Sydney/Canberra to the Snowy Valley Resort in comfortable coaches & mini coaches.
Shuttle up and down the mountain each day
National Park fees
3-course dinner
2 x Hot breakfasts
$239 10 - 19 Jun / 2-26 Sept

SNOW FIX 6 Day Snow Trips 2011
Snow Coaches depart Sydney, Central Station, Eddy Ave Bay 9 at 6pm Friday/Monday evenings, Canberra, Jolimont Centre at 10.30pm, returning late Thursday/Sunday nights.  Includes:
6 x Nights accommodation at the SNOWY VALLEY RESORT Jindabyne
All transport from Sydney/Canberra to the Snowy Valley Resort in comfortable coaches & mini coaches.
Shuttle up and down the mountain each day
National Park fees
2 x 3-course dinner
6 x Hot breakfasts
$569 pp

When is Fathers Day?

I vote for 2 Shreds.
POWshred on snow in July/Aug and PartyShred in Sept 10-16@The Station.

We weren’t lucky with the shred shed last year - we had spaz on the job.
My experience and knowledge of doing NSW snow on the cheap is only matched by my ego.

No point catering for ‘maybe’s’ or ‘wanna’ or “school hols”. Because like last year - beds will fill but more so.

I wont have time to contribute in organisation until February. I might be able to have a little looksy. My first 2 seasons were spent working in Smiggs and there might be some people in Perisher I still know. + I will be a trying to sort out business connections in P so as the year progresses the magic might happen.

BTW: Last year I had an option of booking an entire 50 bed hotel for $25,000 in Thredbo.

Billy - 22 November 2011 11:50 AM
chucky - 22 November 2011 11:44 AM
Billy - 22 November 2011 11:24 AM
chucky - 22 November 2011 11:18 AM
Billy - 22 November 2011 11:08 AM

. . . does it definitely have to be Perisher?

There’s quite a few of us who bought Perisher season passes on the basis that the Shred was to be held there. Heaps more than any other resort.

Heaps more what?

19 Perisher compared to 8 Hotham/Falls - and it looks like there’s been more newcomers to Boardworld who’ve bought Perisher passes as well.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3161/

It’s ok Chucky I don’t need the link - it’s not a competition… I just think we need to keep in mind our Vic (and any other state) friends in mind too in the future….

The main reason I decided to have the 2012 Shred in Perisher was because of their willingness to have us and help us out. I assure you, the resorts are by far the hardest people in the industry to deal with or get any assistance. After this past season at Thredbo, it became super important to me to only work with resorts that want to work with us. Behind the scenes, Thredbo made organising the Shred a nightmare. Out of all the resorts, we currently have the best relationship with Perisher. They communicate with us well and have been very accommodating and open to our ideas. Time was of the essence with all the season passes, and we decided to work with Perisher for 2012. It takes a lot of planning and I had to get the ball rolling with them ASAP to make sure we could have the Shred there.

So, I guess at the time it was decided the 2012 Shred would be at Perisher. We have not looked past 2012 yet, and your’e right, we certainly need to keep all our members in mind. I’d be very open to the idea of having future Shreds in Victoria. In fact, I’m sure we can organise at least a mini-Shred in Vic for 2012 as well. I’ll definitely come down at least once. I think Hotham would be worth looking at.

Please let me know what you think. Any questions or concerns, shoot ‘em through. smile

I like the idea of those deals that cab posted. Makes transport easy to/from resorts.

But in saying that, the Station is so cheap and just a little further down the road back towards Jindy, sport and rec is cheap as well with self contained group accom.

I don’t think it will be too hard organising transport each day. There will be many cars and I’ll be driving every day. We could even look into renting a small bus for the week.

Personally, I don’t mind where we stay. But I think it’s important to keep the cost down to make the Shred accessible to more members (students etc.).

Definitely about keeping costs down. I didn’t get the season pass because we just didn’t have the $ when they were available :-( so for us, we still have to buy lift tickets.

I also would be driving each day, as previously said, I am a control freak!

If we had a 12 seater bus at least someone on an open licence can drive it. Anything over that I believe you need a bus licence?

not sure if i would trust anyone driving a bus on alpine roads ........
is it easy to get chains for them and put them on?

btw even though i have suggested the “tour” packages i will be driving, just though i’d throw the idea out there

Im pretty sure those tours have self drive options!

Maybe Jeremy can talk to ozsnow? grin