The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Never too young…

Look how stoked she is!  grin

Amazing Grommie.
Definitely has the skills cool smile

So many little rippers out there… Check out Marcus Kleveland, 11 years old, just signed to Nitro Snowboards.

Oh my god how cute is the 1 yr old!!! Good balance too!

Coolest kid ever !!!

My 5 year old is complaining to me as he has yet to snowboard (does the ski thing) and he just saw the 1 year old riding down. And he just told me that if I let him snowboard this winter, he will be able to do it as well as the “Nitro-Kid”. Sounds like a challenge to that I will not be able to pass up!

For those of you who have kids or younger siblings, how old before they started shredding? Why do resorts insist in starting organised lessons so late?

Hey Pow Wow,

Resorts start the grommies when they are older because (most) kids are not strong enough to be getting up and down a thousand times like you do when you first start or have enough leg tone required to board.

We put our youngest on her board last season at age six, I took her on the flat and dragged her around on a stock (skiers are useful sometimes), then let her slide down a nice gentle slope.

Once I knew she could get off a lift no dramas, we hit The Summit at Mount Hotham for a few runs. She had her edges figured, or should I say ‘edge’.....heelside

As she was too young for group lessons, we sent off on a private lesson (picked an instructor that I knew was great) to iron out anything I may have missed.

Now its just time on snow. I think by the end of this SoHo season she’ll be intermediate level with comfort and starting slide a few steeper ones.

i have a 6 yo brother, who i wanan take to the snow.. but im a little worried that ill have to spend all the time with him and no time on the slopes.. anyone aware of any like child care day care things i can leave him at at perisher??

Tks Tambazz. Hear what you are saying about the strength. Fortunately, my kid does gymnastics so his weight-power ratio exceeds mine by a factor of 1000, so hopefully that is covered. We are going to Cardrona this year (did it last year) and they have a very good riding and skiing programme for kids. One of my daughters shredded and will do that again this year and the other one did a bit of both so no idea what her plan is. My son wants to board (they will take him on) but it may end up being the ski and as we are there for about 10 days, may get him a board and get him some private lessons.

If we can, we want to get down to Hotham in August so I may hit you for the name of the private instructor you know.

snowman - am sure they have full day lessons for kids, so you can hit the slopes. most resorts have this and they are very good at getting kids to ride or ski. they probably have child care as well, but that may only cater for the real little ones (sub 3yo).

I have taught kids as young as three. I have even given private lessons to a level six (top level) five year old in Whistler. He rides all over the mountain, bumps, powder, and shreds the terrain park (hitting boxes, small rails, and small jumps). If your kids have the interest, start them as early as possible!

Pow Wow - 12 May 2010 05:21 AM

If we can, we want to get down to Hotham in August so I may hit you for the name of the private instructor you know.

No worries, there are quite a few that excel with grommets, give us a shout out when your coming and I’ll see whos on the hill this winter.

Pow Wow - 12 May 2010 05:23 AM

snowman - am sure they have full day lessons for kids, so you can hit the slopes. most resorts have this and they are very good at getting kids to ride or ski. they probably have child care as well, but that may only cater for the real little ones (sub 3yo).

awesome thanx mate..ill prob take him with me this year than.. gonna be sick

rider26 - 12 May 2010 05:37 AM

I have taught kids as young as three. I have even given private lessons to a level six (top level) five year old in Whistler. He rides all over the mountain, bumps, powder, and shreds the terrain park (hitting boxes, small rails, and small jumps). If your kids have the interest, start them as early as possible!

man i wish my parents took me to snow at that age.. all those years i missed out on snow..

I’m stoked to see the 1yr old girl.
My son being 9 months old now… He thinks he can go anywhere. he pulls up to stand all the time, but cant keep his balance yet. It is nice to see his progress in strength and walking. I will surely be finding a way to get him strapped in at home on a rug or something soon as possible!
I’ve imagined putting him on snow as early as he can walk. it would be fun if it’s not too cold. I’m thinking by the end of my next season… around Feb/march 2011… he’ll be a year and a half and I should be able to borrow some gear for him. I bet he’ll be stoked! My concern is him falling and being used to it.

That little girl Ava did great! and she was having fun!
making her parents proud.

The resorts I have worked at dont like to start kids on a snowboard until atleast 3 yrs old.