The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Global Warming and Snow Cover in Australia

deanobruce - 12 October 2011 01:25 AM
chucky - 12 October 2011 01:16 AM

As individuals, I think we should all be doing what we can to ‘save the planet’, irrespective of any ‘climate change’ issues.

That means taking personal responsibility, and not expecting others to do our dirty work for us.

we may disagree on alot of things but this is one thing i am 100,000,000% with you on.

I agree on this one. The rest I could argue for ever on anyway.
So I’m opting out of this on debate, while things are relatively peaceful.

I agree on it, too.

cords - 12 October 2011 01:26 AM

As far as my previous post goes and your reply to it, I find it hard to believe that you won’t even go so far as to admit that some of what you have written might have been taken as a personal attack - that nearly makes me be bothered doing all the copying and pasting but I don’t think it would be worth it.

I suggest reading again what I’ve written (properly this time) and taking a good hard look in the mirror.

cords - 12 October 2011 01:26 AM

As far as your response to the cartoon of course it comes at a cost. I can only say that in my opinion, I think that all the things listed on the board are well worth whatever the cost might be. How can it not be?

Monumentally selfish. How is it at all fair to expect some people to lose their jobs, potentially plunging into poverty, just so others can richly indulge their own personal ideologies??? Ask the Spanish what they think of the idea.

spaz - 12 October 2011 01:22 AM

chucky can get ‘worked up’ on issues.
It’s his nature to argue strongly on a point but in no way does he wish to attack an individual for their point of view.

It’s a strong stance he takes, we <strike>argued</strike> debated on a few topics with completely differing opinions (we shared my unit in Thredbo this year), I too became very worked up (and at times offended at some of his points) but never did he or I hold a personal grudge against one another, even if we had to leave a debate unresolved and the air thick with tension, once a debate was over it wouldn’t take long before things were back to normal.

I admire chucky for being open about his beliefs and anyone for having the balls to speak their opinion - even if it does rock the boat I don’t think he intends to push anyone overboard.

chucky loves the spaz

I do think your being a little hard on cords thou….

<3 & peace

The only way I see to reduce the impact of people on the planet is to reduce the number of people on the planet.
A year without summer should help in that regard and give us an epic snow season with small lift lines.

Mate I already had a look in the mirror and was woman enough to apologise for any of my comments that were taken as personal attacks and explained that it was most certainly not my intention for any of the comments to be taken that way.

I’m opting out now, too. Have a good day, everyone.

some info here on the solar activity thing.  I quite like this person’s comment:

I think everyone here is missing the biggest point of this announcement. That being that there are many things about global climate that we simply do not know or understand. With this announcement comes the possibility that we may enter a global cooling period. However, the amount of CO2 may mitigate this cooling - we just don’t know.

I think that pretty much sums up my conclusion from this whole exercise.

cords - 11 October 2011 11:25 PM
nthnbeachesguy - 11 October 2011 10:23 PM
cords - 11 October 2011 10:15 PM

I’m with nthnbeachesguy, MOST of us here can have a discussion without it turning into a full blown argument and things getting personal.

I think Crackers’ cartoon that he put up has the best take on this whole thing that I’ve read so far and would be interested to hear a “calm” chucky’s take on it..or anyone else that agrees with his general line of thought.

Also, if anyone is getting a beer, I’d LOVE a rekorderlig apple cider - thanks!

Damn if your going to order a girls drink you can do it yourself!

But I would love a light beer chandy in a middy glass with a lemon twist if anyone is going to the bar….................................

Actually no, I would prefer a CC and dry in a pint glass thanks.

well considering I am a girl is there really a problem with that? (and even if I wasn’t). If its really that big of a problem for you, I’ll have a VB instead.

Cords I don’t think my humour must translate very well for you, I was taking the p1ss!

I reckon she got the beer one, although she does drink VB (yuk!). I doubt she took anything you said personally.

Id assume she was more worried about the monumentally selfish call.  Best Play the ball not the Person .

BTW the cost benefit ratio for carbon tax depends upon who you are and where you sit on the issue.  Govt loves it, they are able to legitimise and justify via the green movement a brand new tax to attempt to fill the coffers again. 

Unfortunately even that won’t happen, we will end housing illegal immigrants at Mirage Port Douglas, allowing legal immigrants to bring in their extended family so we end up with one extra taxpayer and 18 brand new welfare dependents, blow $500million on advertising new taxes and re election campaigns, give a $10,000 baby bonus to those who can least afford children, spend billions on harebrained desalination plants, continue to bumsniff the US into every oil conquest…. sorry peacekeeping mission they embark on and countless other ways they govt burns money.

I promise I’m not cynical about our government at all, none of th carbon money will go anywhere near green initiatives and anyone that thinks otherwise probably believed them when they said they wouldn’t even consider a carbon tax.

nthnbeachesguy - 12 October 2011 03:24 AM

BTW the cost benefit ratio for carbon tax depends upon who you are and where you sit on the issue.  Govt loves it, they are able to legitimise and justify via the green movement a brand new tax to attempt to fill the coffers again. 

Unfortunately even that won’t happen, we will end housing illegal immigrants at Mirage Port Douglas, allowing legal immigrants to bring in their extended family so we end up with one extra taxpayer and 18 brand new welfare dependents, blow $500million on advertising new taxes and re election campaigns, give a $10,000 baby bonus to those who can least afford children, spend billions on harebrained desalination plants, continue to bumsniff the US into every oil conquest…. sorry peacekeeping mission they embark on and countless other ways they govt burns money.

I promise I’m not cynical about our government at all, none of th carbon money will go anywhere near green initiatives and anyone that thinks otherwise probably believed them when they said they wouldn’t even consider a carbon tax.

Haha damm I said id stay out of the climate change talk but you gave me other things to procrastinate on.
Ill not go into the legal immigrant thing again though other than to say my partner is one so ill obviously have somewhat biased views on that one, she has just paid for a degree upfront and now got a job as a nurse and her family will be staying firmly in scandiland ,so she doesn’t fit the picture up paint though.

Id hadn’t thought about the desal plant for a while. how much did that thing set us back again? They keep pretty quite about that one these days! the sneaky bastards paid out all sorts of ‘debts’ to mates with that one. The same with the baby bonus…is that still going? They only bring that one up at Election time usually.

Tills - 11 October 2011 08:55 AM

[/endthread]

For some reason this didn’t work, Tills????  confused

LOL

nthnbeachesguy - 12 October 2011 03:24 AM

BTW the cost benefit ratio for carbon tax depends upon who you are and where you sit on the issue.

Trooooooooo dat!!!

If you’re a Green party member (or voter), apparently no cost is too great. Evidently, they’d be perfectly happy to bankrupt the entire country and have us all living in mud huts, simply to indulge their asinine, irrational, self-indulgent ideologies.

The Labor party will soon discover that although the monetary cost to ordinary Australians will be waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy greater than any actual quantifiable benefit to the environment, the greatest ‘cost’ to Labor themselves will be in the currency of lost votes. They simply can’t be trusted, and have decided it’s better to completely disregard the will of the majority of Australians, than it is to lose power. Same goes for those duplicitous, self-serving Independents. They’ll all get what’s coming to them.

Found the interview about the report on ABC local radio I heard earlier in the week.

Click HERE to visit the ABC site. You can download the full report there.

The interview on the ABC Local Radio transcript,

ELEANOR HALL: Now to the scientific report that warns that the Australian Alps could be snow-free in just a few decades.

In the first official update on the area’s catchments in more than half a century, alpine scientists say climate change and land degradation are threatening the regions animals and plants.

And there’s also not much joy for popular winter pastimes such as skiing and snowboarding, as Simon Santow reports.

SIMON SANTOW: You have to go back to 1957 to find the last proper assessment of Australia’s alpine catchments and the results this time around are far from pretty.

Sixty per cent of the 235 catchments are rated poor to moderate - most are declining.

Retired NSW Government botanist Roger Good co-wrote the report for the Federal Government’s Department of Climate Change.

ROGER GOOD: The worst case scenario really indicates that there will be little or no snow in 2050 but there’ll be considerable change in precipitation regimes, in other words, no snow but more, just as much rainfall or it could be just as much rainfall in total precipitation. But that rainfall will tend to be towards the summer rainfall and it will tend towards a high intensity storms as against well, more gentler monthly falls.

SIMON SANTOW: And the lack of snow, what effects will be felt by having no snow?

ROGER GOOD: Well, there will be a number of effects. One starting with the vegetation itself. A lot of the vegetation up there, even though it is alpine and people assume that its adapted to all sorts of extreme cold conditions in winter time, in actual fact it is not because in winter time it is insulated from extreme temperatures or extreme ambient temperatures, frosts etc, by the snow itself.

If you remove the snow cover, there is a number of species that will be, plant species that will be threatened by the changes in light, temperature regimes etc. That also flows onto the animals of course.

SIMON SANTOW: The Australian Alps also play a vital role in the health of the Murray, Murrumbidgee and Snowy Rivers.

ROGER GOOD: If we have a change in snow cover or no snow cover where we don’t have the water being stored and slowly released through the spring thaw, if it moves to higher intensity summer stores, we get very quick run off. While the same amount of precipitation might fall, it runs off in a different way.

SIMON SANTOW: The experts are also gloomy about the viability of winter sports and the tourism that feeds on them in the high country.

ROGER GOOD: The companies no doubt will endeavour to increase their snow making capacity, their artificial snow making capacity, to maintain their viability. If temperatures are slightly higher, they might not even be able to make artificial snow so winter sport and winter snow use will be very much limited or not available at all.

SIMON SANTOW: While not everyone believes the worst case scenario predictions, the ski industry knows the time for action is now.

BEN DERRICK: Climate change is happening. It is definitely, you know, things are definitely changing. How we are managing that is making sure that the environments that we’ve got are in as good a condition as possible.

SIMON SANTOW: Ben Derrick is the natural resources manager at Falls Creek Resort in Victoria.

He says that there’s already work being done to try and safeguard the terrain of endangered species such as the mountain pygmy possum.

BEN DERRICK: They have got a very particular habitat that they live in which is generally above the tree line. There is other bits and pieces in there but they rely very heavily on having a good snow pack on the ground during winter to be able to go into hibernation.

If they don’t get their hibernation during winter then the females don’t become sexually active in spring and this is a species which is really quite rare. There is less than 2,000 breeding individuals left in the wild.

SIMON SANTOW: And as for whether man made leisure activities are also facing extinction, Ben Derrick believes it’s too early to make a prediction.

BEN DERRICK: If you look at just the last two years are a perfect example where this season we had a very front ended season with heavy snow falls in June and then virtually nothing after that. Last year it was virtually nothing until mid-August and then we had a very heavily back-ended season.

So there is a lot of variation within seasons but there is also a lot of variation between seasons as well so something like 2004, which there was at Falls Creek around about two-and-a-half metres of snow on the ground during August, that followed 2003 where there was virtually no snow on the ground in August and so there is a lot of variation both within seasons and between seasons as well.

And so to be able to pick up - we graph and monitor these things quite closely at Falls Creek - to be able to pick up variations and trends is really quite difficult when there is so much natural variation going on.

ELEANOR HALL: That’s the natural resources manager at Falls Creek, Ben Derrick ending Simon Santow’s report.