The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Nixwax on leather gloves

I just got a brand new pair of leather gloves. Do I apply the nixwax straight away or don’t bother with it until after a month or so?

You can put it on now. Just apply it thinly. Warm up the gloves a little bit and it helps if they are on your hands. Dab little bits of wax around the leather then rub the gloves together. Try not to get the Nikwax on the non-leather parts (they can harden and go a bit crusty).

Right. A hairdryer can be used to heat up the leather. Same thing as waxing a board - heat opens the pores so the wax can get in.

FYI - once you’re out of nikwax there are some cheaper products out there. There’s one call “Sno-Seal” I believe that is 100% beeswax. I’ve used it before and it does well.

How often or after how many uses do you guys normally waterproof your leather gloves?

I honestly only do it about once a season, if that. I find Nikwax works really well. If you apply it properly, it should keep the leather in good working condition for quite a while. If you notice the leather drying out and/or soaking easier, apply another coat.