The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Steve Jobs Passes Away - RIP :(

chucky - 10 October 2011 06:16 AM

And yet without Steve Jobs, you’d probably be working in an entirely different industry.

And it probably wouldn’t bother me.

cords - 10 October 2011 06:45 AM

If you can’t imagine life without your steve jobs inspired gadgets & electronic interactions then I feel a wee bit sorry for you, really.

As I said before, denial isn’t just a river in Africa.

Do you REALLY think that if you were suddenly forced to live in an Amish community, you’d be perfectly fine with it??? I call bullshit on that one.

The FACT is that Steve Jobs’ contribution to technology has enhanced and enriched our lives in many more ways than (evidently) you’re aware of.

But you’re welcome to prove me wrong - just go completely without your computer and smartphone for six months, and let us all know how you went. Simple

As for separating ‘work’ and ‘life’ - I pity anyone who doesn’t have a job doing something they love.

Thats a bit different. If I never had experienced PC’s like you are saying, I’d be ok without them… My parents were for a good portion of their life and my grandparents have barely used a computer and between the 3 grandparents I still have alive, only 1 has a mobile… And it is one from about 10 years ago that my brother gave to them…

TJswish - 10 October 2011 07:24 AM

Thats a bit different. If I never had experienced PC’s like you are saying, I’d be ok without them…

Nope. Now that you know what you’d be missing, you simply wouldn’t want to do without them - so it proves my point perfectly.

Not really…

it just proves your an apple fan boi blowing up when someone questions “the leader”. how can you miss something you never had?

Not trying to have a personal dig at you mate, but if the most positive influence in your life is some guy you have never met, and only spoken to in a few emails if it was even him, then i feel sorry for you to be honest. (unless im reading your post the wrong way?)
The most positive influence on me is my closest friends, family and GF. they inspire me to be a better person and do everything to my best, they push me to achieve things i don’t think achievable and make my time i spend with them enjoyable and worthwhile.

TJswish - 10 October 2011 08:19 AM

Not really…

It’s simple, your quality of life has been improved/enhanced to the extent that you no longer want to do without it. Your “ignorance is bliss” argument is irrelevant, as from the dawn of our existence, mankind has always wanted to improve/enhance its quality of life.

deanobruce - 10 October 2011 08:42 AM

it just proves your an apple fan boi blowing up when someone questions “the leader.

You couldn’t be more wrong.

how can you miss something you never had?

Once again, wrong.

Not trying to have a personal dig at you mate. . .

Ummmmmm, yes you are.

. . . if the most positive influence in your life is some guy you have never met, and only spoken to in a few emails if it was even him, then i feel sorry for you to be honest.

Do you understand the difference between “influence in”, and “impact on”?

. . . (unless im reading your post the wrong way?)

Clearly, you are.

I love my job and am quite passionate about it, but am also well aware I can (and have) enjoyed my life while doing a variety of other things to earn money…many that stupid people would call “lowly” jobs. If you are working with nice people and have a good life outside of work, then what you do for a job doesn’t matter in the slightest.

you can call bullshit on it if you like, but there is a good deal of difference between living in an Amish community and living in a world without the last 20-30 years worth of computer technology and I’d be perfectly happy without it….I didn’t have vaguely decent access to the internet until I was at least 16, didn’t have a mobile til I was 19 or so and don’t think it has enriched my life so much, as to think I might want to go back and change it so I’d had access to that stuff since I was a kid…not even close! If none of it had ever arisen, I don’t think I’d be any worse off as a person in any sense.

Also, do you think Amish people live a less happy and fulfilled life for the choices they make? I think not!

I’m talking about YOU, not Amish people. Besides, before you jump to any more ill-informed conclusions, you may want to look into the Amish tradition of Rumspringa, and the fact that nowhere near all of them return, especially compared to 20-30 years ago.

So once again, you’re welcome to prove me wrong - just go completely without your computer and smartphone for six months. Well?

cords - 10 October 2011 09:02 AM

If you are working with nice people and have a good life outside of work, then what you do for a job doesn’t matter in the slightest.

The average person spends around 35% of their waking life at their job. You may think that what you do in this time “doesn’t matter in the slightest”, but many sane people would disagree.

One thing this thread really highlights, is the disappointing level to which modern society selfishly takes technology for granted.

We’re socially conditioned not to take our family and friends for granted, which perhaps explains some of the attitudes evident here.

Who said that Steve Jobs invented the computer anyway? Without Konrad Zuse, a German Engineer in WW2, we wouldn’t have computers in the way we know them today… I’m sure none of us mourned the death of him…

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_computer

TJswish - 10 October 2011 09:39 AM

Who said that Steve Jobs invented the computer anyway?

Ummmmmmmm, not sure? Who did?

(and crediting Alan Turing would probably be closer to the mark)

the leeeeeeaader